MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 12-23-2009   #101
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW
Re: 1G Trouble shoot assistance needed

did you ever recheck the compression to see if it was your gauge reading low?

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #102
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

No i didn't. I still need another compression tester. No body has been able to stop by yet. Some good news though the car fires up. Hardly stays running due to the low compression cold, etc. I adjusted the By pass screw. It ran better after that, it didn't shut off on its own. Its nice not having to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running. Once it warms up it begins to idle lob. You can here a weird knocking noise as well. I hope its not rod knock or something. It goes away after the car warms up.

The car even drives now. It dosnt take anything above 3000rpm. You can here a HUGE BOOST Leak.

The leak is somewhere between the intercooler and the turbo. Everything past the blow of valve pretty much is good to go. Had a Friend Help do a leak down test while he helped doing wheel bearings brakes etc. During that test It was leaking from the intercooler area so we figured it must be a garbage IC. The old one was pretty dented up.

After installing a new IC we took the car for a test drive. It still leaked. So it has to be something else. I have not been able to perform another leak test again. Since i dont have a compressor at the moment.

I think the last problem is the Boost leak. After that i should have a solid or somewhat solid 1G for the time being at least.
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #103
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

There's not much to check when it comes to stock boost pipe lines. Just take them off, inspect them, and replace if necessary. Rubber tubing is pretty expendable, I don't see where the difficulty is in finding the leak.
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #104
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

I took them off all of. Now that i think about it I realized the hose going from the J pipe to the lower part of the intercooler. Has that weird fabric around it. Im taking it off tomorrow again to check. I am really excited to fix the last bits and pieces. It has been such a long journey. With a lot of help and pointers. I am sure once the Leak is fixed i should be good.

I am not a Veteran like some of you guys are. Being able to tell something is wrong with a clutch assembly by pushing it in and so on. So anything that doesn't sound right concerns me. Through out all of this i realized its a DSM things will sound a little funky sometimes. Or smell weird, and i should be happy the car starts.

I will post some pictures as soon as i get this attaching thing figured out.
Old 12-24-2009   #105
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

I have another question. . .Personally I didnt think the motor was rebuilt. But its whatever. Ill just believe what I was told. Now ''Since'' I have a rebuild motor in my car. The brake in probably has been already messed up. But If you were in my shoes how would you go about perhaps braking in the motor quote on quote just to be on the safe side?

There are so many different ways. A few of the things i came across were to take it around the block then do a few light pulls on the highway. Exposing the engine to all different kinds of loads. Keeping it under a certain rpm. Others say drive it for a few minutes until warmed up. After that just go all out. With so many different routes to take which is the safest?

Last edited by Alpha D; 12-24-2009 at 01:21 AM..