MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-04-2004   #1
fasttom

Send a message via AIM to fasttom Send a message via MSN to fasttom
just want to know what all would be invalved in going from the 1.8 to the 2.0 turbo i found a 2.0 turbo with tranny ecm and harnnis for 450 and am thinkin of droppin it in my car if if is posible. it is a 1g 2.0 with the 5 speed.
fasttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004   #2
fmicmatt

Tournaments Won: 6

I'm not talking shit or anything but..........Just switch to a turbo chassis; the 1.8 is a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Here in Hawaii, one guy tried to fit/rewire his 1.8 to 2.0T and gave up due to monitary reasons...it would have cost him $1500 in fabrication work alone without engine/trans/harness/ecu and other crap. He then proceded to turbo his 1.8 with 2.0T parts. He got it all together and belw one block working out fuel issues, once the fuel issues were fixed he blew 2 more blocks,a set of pistons, and +/-5 headgaskets due to too much boost(only 8psi). He has since bought a 1GAWD and said he was a dumbass for ever trying to mod his 1.8. He still has the 1.8 for daily driving........with just enough boost to operate the BOV.

If you can wait a few weeks; I'll find you a cheap turbo car that needs work and you/we can fix it while you drive your 1.8daily. It will be good for you to turn some whenches and learn about turbo cars before you drive one. There is twice the maint. and up-keep on turbo DSMs that all other cars.

Here is a pic. of his POS1.8T.

Old 01-05-2004   #3
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
I agree. Spend that money towards a turbo car. There is a 90 laser Fwd turbo on trader for $600 needing a little work.
Old 01-05-2004   #4
Nash

Please post in the right forum.
Old 01-05-2004   #5
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
It was in new members, I put it in off topic, and now it's in advanced tech. Woot!
Old 01-05-2004   #6
Raptor
ConArtist

It really wouldn't be a hard swap if the doner combo came from a front drive and thats is all you wanted. That would cut any fabrication out and make it a drop in. The chassis would be the same rather than the AWD, but I didn't see him saying he was planning that anyway. The chassis on the 1.8 is listed as a D21A and the 2.0T is listed as a D22A.

Even with that in consideration, get a car that has one already and save yourself the rest of the headaches, just switching wiring harnesses is a PITA all by itself.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
A kid up in Duluth did this...and I know Elite did a lot of the work. In the end it worked out, but I believe the kid had to drop a ton of money to get it all done right.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote