Re: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

^ lol.

Good test guys!
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #22
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Good stuff, thanks for the testing. Makes me because I already have a K&N on order. But I don't think I could fit two of those in my engine bay.
Old 01-04-2009   #23
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I did, these two clowns almost ran me off the road as I was getting on to 169 from 55. I was in the silver Mercedes trying to wave to Scheides, but he was too cool to look over.
Haha sorry man! All I could see was your black leather glove after I waved you over, then I just didn't look over when we passed ya, sorry man! I was at work till almost 4am Friday night/sat morning, then up early for this test so I was *really* glazed over at that point!

Nice car though
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #24
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
Good stuff, thanks for the testing. Makes me because I already have a K&N on order. But I don't think I could fit two of those in my engine bay.
What are the dimensions of the air filters you ordered? Also, why not just run one filter on the MAS?
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #25
Jaei Sun
4G63 X 2 = 8G63

Drives: 06 EVO, 92 TSi AWD

Not sure how much of an effect this would have but, I've read over on 3si that the oiled filters can cause problems with the MAS. When the filter is soaked with too much oil (like you mentioned with the Perrin), it gets coated on the sensor element.
Jaei Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #26
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaei Sun View Post
Not sure how much of an effect this would have but, I've read over on 3si that the oiled filters can cause problems with the MAS. When the filter is soaked with too much oil (like you mentioned with the Perrin), it gets coated on the sensor element.
Over-oiled filters can cause a problem, but properly oiled ones will not. If your MAS does become dirty just get some MAF Cleaner Spray from the car parts store; I actually picked some up this morning for $7 since the Vibrant filter let too much crap through and coated my MAS in dirt/dust. The Perrin was drenched in oil which is why I rubbed some of it off but unlike previous years the K&N's are no longer over-oiled from the factory so they were good to go straight from the box.
Old 01-04-2009   #27
scheides
flips McGee

I don't think anyone mentioned the details of this one yet, but the SMALL K&N filter we tested was about 2.5" of filter media in a cylinder, it fit really well but it was *HILARIOUS* hearing this filter on the dyno. The intake sounded like when you stick a vacuum nozzle on your skin, pffffffffwwwwwtttttt!!!!! The car was obviously not getting the air it needed and it would knock randomly, making it perform super inconsistently.

Also, we made it a point to not test the stock airbox. It's been widely proven that aftermarket intakes make power over stock, even with tuning. Let's not kid ourselves here. Besides, that would then require us to change the intake pipe, put on the air box, blah blah blah. Too many variables to change! Besides, I took off all of the brackets for my stock box almost 3 years ago. I have them, but hell if I'm putting them back on the car!

Incidently, my old-style buschur filter is officially for sale; pm me reasonable offers
Old 01-04-2009   #28
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the details of this one yet, but the SMALL K&N filter we tested was about 2.5" of filter media in a cylinder, it fit really well but it was *HILARIOUS* hearing this filter on the dyno. The intake sounded like when you stick a vacuum nozzle on your skin, pffffffffwwwwwtttttt!!!!! The car was obviously not getting the air it needed and it would knock randomly, making it perform super inconsistently.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Both the K&N's looks smaller then the better performing ones, which I would think would be part of the reason it put down smaller numbers. I know I don't buy a filter because it's the part number for my car, I go on their site, research the dimensions available, and buy the biggest one I can fit in that location.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #29
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Scheides is talking about the small K&N not the large FIPK one. The large K&N has just as much surface area as the Vibrant, Amsoil, Buschur, etc. due to its very large base. It is K&N's choice filter for the Evo. The FIPK filter is MUCH larger than it appears in pictures. The only reason we tested the small K&N was because it was sent to me for free and it fit the Vibrant MAF adapter. The FIPK filter used a special K&N MAF adapter due to its large size. Also, as I previously mentioned, CBRD tested a K&N filter identical in dimension to the other cones we used and the Perrin still beat it by ~10whp.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-04-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Old 01-04-2009   #30
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Both the K&N's looks smaller then the better performing ones, which I would think would be part of the reason it put down smaller numbers. I know I don't buy a filter because it's the part number for my car, I go on their site, research the dimensions available, and buy the biggest one I can fit in that location.
The FIPK K&N is what K&N recommends for the car. The surface area of the filter media is more than enough to make it comparable to these other filters. If you got one that fit the adapter we had and got it to be the same roughly 5" or 6" length as the others in this test, it would probably perform very similarly to the FIPK filter tested.

Last edited by scheides; 01-04-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Old 01-05-2009   #31
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Dyno chart added to the first post.
Old 01-05-2009   #32
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Was doing some thinking and couldn't this test be somewhat bias since your car is tuned for the Buscher filter Scheides? Wouldn't it be a better to test a stock EVO (non-flashed ECU) and swap out filters?
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #33
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Cool test guys! Interesting results too.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #34
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

I think the K+N didn't do well because they also have too much oil on them..doesn't allow for much AIr to flow through..

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #35
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaleclipse_05 View Post
Was doing some thinking and couldn't this test be somewhat bias since your car is tuned for the Buscher filter Scheides? Wouldn't it be a better to test a stock EVO (non-flashed ECU) and swap out filters?
Yes, but the simple fact is that you cannot get that same filter anymore, so it doesn't hardly matter that it won, except to me...looking for what will be best to run and make power above what I already ahve The car was untuned for all the rest of the filters, some of which performed very close to the same. AFR and boost was kept (rather, stayed) very close, so it was as level of a playing field for all the other filters.
Old 01-05-2009   #36
scheides
flips McGee

Old 01-06-2009   #37
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
I think the K+N didn't do well because they also have too much oil on them..doesn't allow for much AIr to flow through..

-A. Swift
The K&N filters were fresh from the factory sealed back and I was impressed with the proper oiling of them. Unlike years previous, they no logger seem over-oiled from the factory. Plain and simple, K&N got a fair shake in the test and they under-performed.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-06-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-06-2009   #38
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaleclipse_05 View Post
We chose to test with a modded Evo since they flow a lot more air and therefore are much more demanding of the filter's ability to flow air. The MAF was not tuned for any of the currently available air filters.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-06-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Old 01-06-2009   #39
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Haha sorry man! All I could see was your black leather glove after I waved you over, then I just didn't look over when we passed ya, sorry man! I was at work till almost 4am Friday night/sat morning, then up early for this test so I was *really* glazed over at that point!

Nice car though
I was just messing with ya. My buddy in the car is a real car guy as well and I told him a couple of EVO buddies were coming up on us fast. He was impressed when I told him what you're putting down for street numbers. He's got a newer yellow 911 right now that he drives on nice days.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #40
scheides
flips McGee

haha I bet he was even more impressed when he saw how awesomely unclean my car was! Funny that you spotted us like that, maybe my HID's grabbed your attention?