MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-15-2003   #21
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
If your coolant temp sensor is bad the ECU will still check for it before the car is started even if you unplug it. Because if the weather is cold, it will go to the cold start enrichment map in the ECU to help with cold weather starting. Disconnecting it will not do anything because the ECU will still see it as a bad sensor. So the ECU still won't switch over the correct map for that temp.

If you can get it started your car should run like shit and will hardly idle until the CEL comes on and then it will switch to a different map and then it should idle fine. But getting it started will be the hard part.

Talk to Jet and see what he finds out with his car. His Talon is doing the exact same thing and it might be a combination of the FPR or one of the three or four coolant temp sensors.

If your car is running ok after you get it started and its not misfiring. I would doubt that it would be injectors or bad gas, since if it were you would have re-occuring problems after startup and they would show up in normal driving as well.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003   #22
adam_murphy

Send a message via MSN to adam_murphy
i thought it was the FPR also but i switched mine over with the same problems, didnt help at all
Old 12-16-2003   #23
adam_murphy

Quote:
Originally posted by CUSTOMDSM@Dec 15 2003, 03:28 AM
If your coolant temp sensor is bad the ECU will still check for it before the car is started even if you unplug it. Because if the weather is cold, it will go to the cold start enrichment map in the ECU to help with cold weather starting. Disconnecting it will not do anything because the ECU will still see it as a bad sensor. So the ECU still won't switch over the correct map for that temp.
is it possible that the ECU cannot pull the cold fuel map anymore? This might be just a lot of bsing around but maybe someone could swap ecu's and see IF that might be the problem... maybe some DSM's hate the winter.... if anyone has ideas please shoot them up here
Old 12-16-2003   #24
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Quote:
Originally posted by adam_murphy+Dec 16 2003, 02:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adam_murphy @ Dec 16 2003, 02:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CUSTOMDSM@Dec 15 2003, 03:28 AM
If your coolant temp sensor is bad the ECU will still check for it before the car is started even if you unplug it.&nbsp; Because if the weather is cold, it will go to the cold start enrichment map in the ECU to help with cold weather starting.&nbsp; Disconnecting it will not do anything because the ECU will still see it as a bad sensor.&nbsp; So the ECU still won't switch over the correct map for that temp.
is it possible that the ECU cannot pull the cold fuel map anymore? This might be just a lot of bsing around but maybe someone could swap ecu's and see IF that might be the problem... maybe some DSM's hate the winter.... if anyone has ideas please shoot them up here [/b][/quote]
It shouldn't do that. Swapping an ECU isn't a big deal at all as long as you have the right one for your car. Just remove the panel and unplug the existing one and then plug in the new one. My guess would be that it wouldn't have anything to with hard cold starting. If the car starts and runs decents when its warmer than I doubt the ECU will be the cause.

If you can get your car started find someone with a logger with the 1G cable and pull the CEL code from it. Then you can tell if it is a senor or something else.

I have read a lot about one of the CTS's going bad and when they do it will cause all kinds of problems. Like idling issues and starting issues as well as overheating due to the fans not coming on.

So check them sensors first and then go from there. If you want to try another ECU in there to have piece of mind that thats not the problem you can give me a call and come over and I can help you put another one in. JET has enough parts for like 3 1G's in our garage and I know there is atleast three ECU's.

JUST PM ME IF YOU NEED ANY HELP

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003   #25
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Yeah, I tried 3 ECU's in my car and it didn't change anything. I am thinking it is wiring to the CTS now.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003   #26
adam_murphy

i have a logger cable and it shows the CTS is bad... whatelse should or do i check?
Old 12-16-2003   #27
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Replace the sensor and check the wiring. You can use an ohm meter to check the wiring to see if there is a broken wire. I wil be doing that once I don't have to work a 14 hour day.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote