MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 10-02-2006   #1
95tsi

Drives: a pos
Ecu

I just picked up a '91awd with some issues. The car will turn over just there dosnt seem to be any spark. So, I pulled off the coil pack and changed that, no change. Swaped out the transister pack under the coil, no change. Pulled the ecu and found some stuff I think is odd. If you notice the small wire off the board running between two soder points. Looks to me like the wire may have wore down the bottom of the board, and is dissrupting some of the connections. Any ideas?

Last edited by 95tsi; 10-13-2009 at 06:28 AM..
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Ecu

Looks like a cheap reman. The wire is probably bypassing a broken trace on the board.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #3
95tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX
Looks like a cheap reman. The wire is probably bypassing a broken trace on the board.
What would your guess be on the chances of that being the cause of the car not firing?
Old 10-02-2006   #4
tim

Very well could be. Post the top side of the board. Is there a lot of corrosion around the capacitors? That is the area where 1g dsms are notorious for leaking acid and can cause a mountain of start up problems.

Are you getting any clicking from behind the radio? Can you hear the fuel pump turn on?

As far as that wire though, if it is coming in to contact with any other solder joints on the back of the board it wont do anything good for you thats for sure.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Probaly not, but without swapping in another ecu, it's a guess.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #6
95tsi

Here is the top of the board. Yes, I hear the fuel pump kick in. Nothing from behind the radio though.

Last edited by 95tsi; 10-13-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Old 10-02-2006   #7
tim

Damn, that thing looks like hell. Have you tested for spark or are you assuming?
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #8
95tsi

I didn't have any spark. Thats why I tried a diffrent coil pack and transister thing. Neither of those changed anything so I was thinking maybe the ecu. However, I dont know much about the ecu or what to look for on it. Just thought the wire hanging on the back looked a bit outta place. So, off the pic of the board you would reccomend changing out to a clean one and seeing if there is any improvement?
Btw, my goal is the $2007 Grass Racing Motorsports challenge (www.grmotorsports.com). So, if anyone knows where I can score a ecu for cheap let me know. Or, anyother parts for that matter.

Thanks for all the help.