MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 11-07-2010   #1
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer
DIY Remote Starter Keyless Entry Install

I just wanted to post up my first hand experience with installing a remote starter system on my DD winter beater car. The car that I installed this remote start keyless entry is a 2000 Mazda Protege rs. This is the kit that I got off of ebay for under then $60 shipped. Ebay Remote System Here

Ill start off by saying that I am not an electrical person but I dont have a problem doing some wiring myself with some instructions, tools and time. It probably took me about 10 hours working it with taking my time and doing it outside with the cold weather. This system seems to be very nice for how much it costs. It came with a printed sheet with the wires that you will need to access and where to find them. I can say that the descriptions were not the best so I went online to the12volt.com and modifiedlife.com which were both very helpful with comments from people that actually installed the the actual vehicle.

I started by taking off all of the panels in the kick panel area and the steering column and center console. The main features to this unit is keyless entry, remote start, and it also has a turbo timer but a turbo is not in the future plans with this car. I had to run 4 main wires to the key switch which were constant power, power that turns on with the ignition on, starter power and power to the heater AC units. The rest of the wires were for engine rpm off the ecu, brake pedal switch power, parking light power, door switch power, door lock power, ground, and I think that is pretty much it.

I got it all installed and it was nice on this car because I did not have to use any relays and only one simple resistor which was used in the door locks. This car uses a one wire door locking system where the unlock uses the wire right from the remote start box and the lock uses the wire from the box to the same wire that the unlock goes to but with a 1.5k ohm resistor between.

The unit automatically learns the rpm style of the car for best starting results and there are also features for delayed starting for diesel applications. Some vehicles will take bypass units to bypass the stock security and keyless entry units but not on this car which made it easier.

Some things this unit does is lock doors moments after driving and unlocks the doors when the car is shut off. It locks the doors when the remote start is activated and also when it is deactivated by the remote. It has a turbo timer but I am not using it. It has a setting where the car can be started every hour or 2 hours and run for 15 minutes. There is the option to hook up relays to an AUX output to roll windows up and or down with the remote as well.

I would say that this was somewhat difficult and a little frustrating mostly because of the limited space to work with. I would recommend this to anyone that has the nerve to mess with wires. The best $59 I have ever spent!

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #2
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4
Re: DIY Remote Starter Keyless Entry Install

Good job man. As an installer for car electronics i can relate on how it was to do one of these. As of right now i have been doing nothing but remote starts for the past three weeks and am scheduled out till the end of this month already.

Props for taking it on and completing the job.
Old 11-07-2010   #3
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Damn thats a cheap alarm system and for the features a lot for the money.

I got one for the honda, but it needed some weird T-harness so i had to quit the install and I just never got around to it. I think we needed a transponder key as well so I just said F it. Although with the colder weather coming I'm ready to try this again.

Good job on the install.
I might have to get this for the automagic.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #4
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

I just picked up a 1mile range remote start/alarm/keyless for the GF and Im still waiting for the bypass module that is needed for the chipped key.

Its an Autopage and I got it for 65 on ebay shipped as well. Ebay ftw when it comes to electronics!

Im debating just having a shop in burnsville install it for 100 bucks. May not be worth my time to dink with it. Ive installed keyless/alarm on my 1g but for 100 bucks meh.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #5
turbotalon1g

^What shop is that?
Old 12-03-2010   #6
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Nice! I have had very good luck with mine and am so glad that I put it in when I did!

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #7
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Heres where I booked an appt with next saturday. 180 installed with the key chip module, which usually costs 30ish. So for 150 in labor it will be all installed in less than 2 hours.

http://remotelystartedmn.com/index.php
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #8
turbotalon1g

thx man, i'm looking to do the same, hopefully he is around tomorrow for me to call.