MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-27-2009   #1
talonite

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSI
overheating......

ok so i have eliminated almost all of my options on how to solve this coolant bursting out of the over flow container problem. on the dsm link it will read my coolant temp is at 130 but in reality its at 178-190 or operating temp. i have switched out the coolant temp sensor twice and checked the resistance on it and it was all in spec. i have also changed the headgasket water pump and all those belts, and well as the radiator cap and thermostat twice(first on was cooler) but i went back to stock. Im starting to wonder if maybe its a tuning issue? I dunno any and all suggestions are appreciated.
talonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: overheating......

Tell us what mods you have, including tuning, boost you run at, how you typically drive, how you have been driving when this happens, etc etc etc. More detail plz.

Puking coolant is typically a HG issue
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #3
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I concur. When does it puke? Will it overheat while just sitting there idling?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #4
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonite View Post
ok so i have eliminated almost all of my options on how to solve this coolant bursting out of the over flow container problem. on the dsm link it will read my coolant temp is at 130 but in reality its at 178-190 or operating temp. i have switched out the coolant temp sensor twice and checked the resistance on it and it was all in spec. i have also changed the headgasket water pump and all those belts, and well as the radiator cap and thermostat twice(first on was cooler) but i went back to stock. Im starting to wonder if maybe its a tuning issue? I dunno any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I had this same problem with my car... I'm guessing you are the one that still has a/c? If so I went through everything you are going through currently. I even took out my a/c trying to eliminate my overheating problem.. It ended up being that my fans weren't flowing enough air to keep my car cool. I had 2 12" mishimoto slim fans and it still wasn't enough..

Long story short I ended up having MAP weld an elbow onto my turbo so I could fit a stock fan into the engine bay... Also, on link I made it so that the fans are on at all times... Problem solved...

Lmk if this is of any help.. I went through so much more then stated but I didnt want to write a book about it lol

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Are you fans kicking on once the engine gets hot?
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #6
GsXtUrBo98

You could also try and get a lower temp thermastat... Or drill a hole or two into yours.

Old 12-27-2009   #7
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

his fans are always on via dsmlink. car was running fine 2 months ago, evo3 2g ported exhaust, stock radiator, o2 external dump. pretty much stock...
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #8
GsXtUrBo98

Ok then this might not be the same guy I thought it was...

My input might still help but it was pointed at someones elses car with a built motor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude View Post
his fans are always on via dsmlink. car was running fine 2 months ago, evo3 2g ported exhaust, stock radiator, o2 external dump. pretty much stock...

Old 12-27-2009   #9
GsXtUrBo98

It would seem to be a head gasket to me if he was pretty much stock.. only other thing is when did u put in the front mount?? It may be restricting the air flow into the engine bay.. Also, what fans are you running. Stock?? Some more info might help out some

Old 12-27-2009   #10
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

slimline fans, car never overheated, im sure its a headgasket issue. i believe its the stock 7 bolt. i would have to call him and see if he has a built motor, i thought it was stock...
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #11
talonite

yes its still stock motor. and i just did the headgasket at my work, looked fine before, and now its new and still doin it. But my fans dont kick on by them selves when the engine is hot and it wont do it if i leave them on. But if i let my car idle for a while then give it a little gas and let it sit again with no fan (cause it wont kick in) it boils over, i mean i have all new components cooling system wise and i put my stock fan back in. And everything mechanical and sensors checks out, so im wondering if it could somehow be related to tuning or an issue with the eprom ecu i put in.

Last edited by talonite; 12-28-2009 at 04:11 AM..
Old 12-28-2009   #12
talonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsXtUrBo98 View Post
You could also try and get a lower temp thermastat... Or drill a hole or two into yours.
done this, didnt help and stuck a stock one back in
Old 12-28-2009   #13
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

So from what I gather your fans aren't turning on? Wire them up to a switch and keep them on as soon as your t-stat opens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #14
scheides
flips McGee

a) You still left out almost ALL of the info I asked for!
b) Sounds like your fans are the issue get them to come on either all the time, or at the appropriate time.
c) can you log the car? Do you have DSMLink? What are your coolant temps doing, if they skyrocket (go over 190-200°F for example), and the fans don't turn on, then your sensor is working fine, but something triggoring your fans is not.
d) are you sure you installed the fans correctly? Some are push, some are pull.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #15
talonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
a) You still left out almost ALL of the info I asked for!
b) Sounds like your fans are the issue get them to come on either all the time, or at the appropriate time.
c) can you log the car? Do you have DSMLink? What are your coolant temps doing, if they skyrocket (go over 190-200°F for example), and the fans don't turn on, then your sensor is working fine, but something triggoring your fans is not.
d) are you sure you installed the fans correctly? Some are push, some are pull.
lol sorry. yes i can log the car with dsm link v3 and i watch the coolant temp rise pretty slowly to about 125-130 but i use a electric thermometer gun i have at my work and it says the coolant is at operating temp. Motor is stock, have a few bolt ons, evo3 turbo, fmic, opendump, ported exhaust manifold, walboro 255, 560 injectors, high pressure fuel regulator, stock fan and stock radiator back on it, full 3" exhaust and I had rsmotors do a base tune on my car just to get it running because i had a few issues to take care of, so its not fully tuned. And i am running 14psi at the moment and havent been hitting the gas at all lately just normal driving. It usually happens when i stop after driving a little bit and let it idle,i hope that covered everything you asked, and im almost 100% sure its because my fans dont kick on by themselves, but im trying to figure out why they wont come on. Because my ecu is seening a completely different temp than what it actually is. and i have replaced both the coolant temp sensors( gauge and switch) and measured the resistance on both and they were both in spec. So basically all im asking is would re-flashing the eprom mess with the temps it sees coming out of the car? and can it be fixed with a full tune? or should i just say f it and click the little box that says fans full on all the time?
Old 12-28-2009   #16
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

You haven't said if your fans are turning on or not, or if you've checked to see if they're blowing in the correct direction.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #17
talonite

i have said a couple time my fan does not turn on by itself, it is pulling air through tho. not pushing/
Old 12-28-2009   #18
GsXtUrBo98

Im telling you. After all that I went through it ended up being the fans... because the stock ones flow so much more then aftermarket slim fans and the stockers have a shrouding around them to focus the cooling off of the radiator.

Also, Go into dsmlink and make those fans stay on at all times.

Old 12-28-2009   #19
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

He has the stock fans back in from what I've been reading. Just have them on all of the time, and see if it works. I had 1 stock fan in my 1g, with way more mods, 24psi of boost, and never pushed a drop of coolant. Did you swap in new headstuds with the new headgasket? If not they couldve stretched and be causing the headgasket to not be sealing.

Last edited by Constant_Project21; 12-28-2009 at 07:35 PM..
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #20
talonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Project21 View Post
He has the stock fans back in from what I've been reading. Just have them on all of the time, and see if it works. I had 1 stock fan in my 1g, with way more mods, 24psi of boost, and never pushed a drop of coolant. Did you swap in new headstuds with the new headgasket? If not they couldve stretched and be causing the headgasket to not be sealing.
ya im kinda thinking i may have to just have that one fan on all the time. But yes i switched out the head studs for new ones. couldnt have used the old ones if i wanted to, they were really stretched