MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-17-2005   #1
ExTREME
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ExTREME Send a message via MSN to ExTREME Send a message via Yahoo to ExTREME
Spark Plug Wire installation! gone bad!

Ok I got some Accel 8mm wires today. I wasn't going to swap them until I got my Haynes but I got antsy on a random trip out to the garage.
Everything started off fine doing 1 wire at a time, then I noticed I had a shorter wire so I swapped with another one already on, but some where somehow I think I got mixed up and now my car doesnt idle right, idles a little higher, when i get up to around 1500rpm it really starts to shake so I shut it down and i swapped the 2 farthest wire ends with eachoher (not on the sparkplugs but the other ends) and it seemed to idle a little smoother but the shit still shakes around 1500rpm's.. Im scared. anyone got pics on their wires and/or alot of info.
ExTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #2
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Re: Spark Plug Wire installation! gone bad!

From vfaq.com

Spark plug wire routing - if you removed your spark plug wires without paying attention to the routing, don't worry. On 4G63s, the spark plugs are numbered from the timing belt/driver's side - #1 is closest to the timing belt. The connections to the coilpack are 4123, with 4 being closest to the head. See this pic. Note that since 4G63s use a waste spark system that fires 1/4 and 2/3 together, you can also hook the wires to the coilpack as 1423 and 1432 and it will work fine. Note that wire #3 is longer than #4 - shortest to longest, they are 1243.

Hope this helps ya.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Spark_Plug_Wires.gif (22.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 09-17-2005   #3
ExTREME
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ExTREME Send a message via MSN to ExTREME Send a message via Yahoo to ExTREME

I love you.
Old 09-17-2005   #4
ExTREME
Banned

OMFG YES!! Thanks man, it worked! Damn I was having a bad day. Now its going and it seems smoother idle with the new wires. I was looking around on that VFAQ and I didnt find what you got. But, thanks for your post it really helped me out. Makes all that hard work fun when it works right.

If you dont have your wires hooked up properly what could happen? Just the sputtering that I was experiencing or valve problems if not repaired soon? I am really looking into learning as much about DSM's as possible and I know that these questions dont pertain specifically to DSM's but it was something that I just had to add.

Oh yeah and I got my car from SLS and I was wanting to ask Kevin some questions but he wont reply to my PM's or anything. i was told this was his old car before he sold it to some redhead dude in Fargo, whom I bought this off.
Old 09-21-2005   #5
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

My coilpack and several others I've seen are numbered. No valve damage should occur because of swapped wires.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #6
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

All i know of happening would be firing on open valves, wich would not harm anything if done only a short wile, but could cause alot of build up in a long run
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote