A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #362
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX
Re: beaterX project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I think they will be closer than everyone thinks! That's a whole other discussion though.
Not sure if you've followed the SteedSpeed manifold saga but they custom CNC manifolds that are shaped like the stocker. They've tried a handful of designs so far but haven't even been able to outflow a stock manifold yet. There are some aspects of the 4B11T where Mitsu did a pretty fine job.

That said, it may just do with the amount of space they have to work in. I have yet to see a post saying "I gained 30whp from a ported stocker." We've seen a fair number of posts from Full Race and CBRD showing such gains.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #363
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I know a ported/coated stocker is my plan when/if I decide to do a manifold.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #364
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I know a ported/coated stocker is my plan when/if I decide to do a manifold.
I really wish I would've done back to back testing on this for everyone's sake, the main reason I stuck with the stock one ported was Shane said the tubular's normally lose spool. However, not sure if the X is different, but the fullrace and CBRD ones seem to not lose any spool but gain quite a bit up top, just not sure if my ported one is really helping or not.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #365
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

My guess is MAP would donate the dyno time for you and Scheides to swap. I think you have the MAP ported/coated, right?
Old 08-02-2010   #366
Murlo26

Quote:
My guess is MAP would donate the dyno time for you and Scheides to swap. I think you have the MAP ported/coated, right?
Yes sir

I'd be happy to stop by for this for some testing if Scheides wanted to, but I need a working car first
Old 08-02-2010   #367
scheides
flips McGee

I'll have to check out that steed speed manifold, otherwise a MAP Rev2 is all I really plan on doing/trying. I'll see if I can get some dyno data to back it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #368
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
I'll see if I can get some dyno data to back it up
There are quite a few folks that'd like to see it. Once you have bolts in there it shouldn't be very hard to swap manis on and off.
Old 08-03-2010   #369
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S

Took a ride in this Rip today. Car feels so good up top reminds me of the black. It's so so smooth! I cant even tell when it hits it's full boost it's that smooth...
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #370
scheides
flips McGee

Not much of an update, but shortly after installing the BBX and posting the other plot I tweaked the timing maps slightly and installed the dw800's. I did a few VDR runs and peak power is anywhere from 328-340 depending on the run. It's not perfect but way better than before. Here's an idea of what it looks like compared to the stock turbo setup:

I ran the car HARD at the autoX test & tune on sunday. 115° ambient heat and I was revving it like a mofo. I got 21 runs in and all but the first on each course were pretty aggressive. Very little knock except for bouncing off the rev limiter @8000rpm in 1st gear, I over revved to 8159rpm oops!

Here's some logs from the standalone logger, kinda shows timing, peaking at 14° at 7000rpm and steady to 8000.

http://scheides.com/misc/pics/evox/l...m-EvoX-BBX.xls

The car needs some tuning, but first it needs a downpipe. The stock downpipe is still on the car as well as the stock o2 housing and I now know that it really just makes this a laggy setup. Not aweful it is damn smooth and you can see the gains from the new turbo are there, but alas, like everyone else, I want more I'm shopping around, rexpeed, MAP o2 elim, AMS, lots of nice downpipes out there but goddamn the audi prices. I had dreams of a nice AMS or MAP unit ceramic coated but my damn bang/buck concience keeps kicking in (call it my DSMStyle?) and for $210 shipped I can get a taiwaneese Rexpeed unit that is full 3" all the way to the test pipe.

I was going to get tuned before/after the downpipe/ported manifold but I realize now that its silly. I want to get fully tuned by shane AFTER I get the downpipe on, the stock one is just a silly restriction at this point and tuning it will be semi frivolous.

I had a dream last night that I had rod knock and there was white coolant smoke billowing out from the engine bay. Yeow. Nothing to do now but keep moving forward!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 08-10-2010   #371
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Nice gains for just having a stock downpipe. These X's really seem to lose that super low end torque with bigger turbos, but I bet you gain a bunch back with downpipe/O2 housing/tune. I'll need a ride in this thing on the fall cruise since I never did get one last spring Mr Flips McGee

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #372
scheides
flips McGee

Another piece to the puzzle. I spent a few hours swapping in a MAP o2 elim downpipe last night while spaz was doing his brakes. We got sidetracked a few times due to stuck brake pad pins but we were mostly done by my anna-imposed 11pm curfew (gotta get up early for work and the pups go crazy every time I come in for keys, wash hands, etc etc), we had to go till about midnight to finish everything up but she was pretty understanding due to the fact that she was swooning over how beautiful this piece is:

(my little beagle jill in the background)

Tennis ball rolls all the way through this thing no prob (I was curious about the flex section):

Next to the stock 'o2' housing and downpipe:

This thing is big, getting it in place was not hard but unfortunately I did scratch the ceramic coating just a bit on some of the heat shields on the firewall Without the flash it's tough to see, but there it is, gah! When you look down at this thing from the top it is kinda impressive how BIG it is. Fitment was absolutely perfect.

Fired it up for a leak test and around the block quick before bed, the first real test drive was on the way into work this morning. I drove Anna (like most days) and kept it pretty mild until I dropped her off. Most noticable improvement is part throttle in the 2500-4500rpm range, the car feels fantastic! The BBX felt a teensy bit doggy on the stock o2/downpipe but I have done nearly zero tuning to really try and get it more responsive because I knew this downpipe was on the way sooner rather than later

I threw on the logger and did some more aggressive driving and 3rd gear WOT pulls after I dropped the lady off and WOW seat of the pants feels great! Butt dyno immediately said 15whp up top, so after playing around a bit I went to one of my usual straight, flat spots and did some dedicated VDR pulls.

Always remember to take these with a grain of salt, it's not a true dyno but as best of a back-to-back as I could do!

The low-end makes no sense to me, its obvious that some tuning is needed from my tweaked stock turbo tune so I'll be addressing that in the future, but holly balls! +25whp@7000rpm! I am extremely happy with this thing and would recommend it to anyone. The fit/finish/quality is just top notch.

Next week the car will be at DB
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 08-20-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Old 08-20-2010   #373
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

That DP looks really nice actually. GG MAP
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #374
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Looks great, I think those pictures alone have swayed me a bit in favor of the MAP unit over the AMS.
Old 08-20-2010   #375
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Looks great, I think those pictures alone have swayed me a bit in favor of the MAP unit over the AMS.
It definitely looks snazzy when coated. If it'd been out a year ago then I would have went with it.
Old 08-20-2010   #376
Murlo26

If I go to an external dump I will do a MAP one I think, I still am very much in doubt on the whole one downpipe vs another arguments, don't know who to believe.

The MAP one for sure looks good though, support our local shop
Old 08-20-2010   #377
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

I see that they included lock washers as well. To this day I don't know why Specialty X didn't do that on my system, would have saved me some lost bolts.
Old 08-20-2010   #378
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:
I think they are both good DP's, you really dont lose no matter which way you go. I went the AMS route for 3 reasons. 1. The MAP DP wasnt out yet. 2. The AMS cast piece is so huge, you can literally put you arm in it all the way up to the elbow. 3. Cast piece should last forever, and I dont wanna ever have to take it out. Ask Schiedes how may band aids were required for install.

simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #379
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

That is one sexy pipings.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #380
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Ask Schiedes how may band aids were required for install.
Damn you X guys are whiners! It did take about 3 hours but I was taking my time, and the worst cut I got was working on spaz' car Having the right tools is absolutely key though, I bought this 14mm swivel socket and it is now an absolute must for any X owner IMHO. It gets right to all those stupid hard-to-reach bolts on the back of the motor.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV