MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 06-06-2010   #181
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: beaterX project thread

Those are great gains from when you picked it up.
We are sorry we didn't stay longer, but on a good note we did leave to get another DSM on the road.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #182
scheides
flips McGee

Anna was immersed in a book last night after we got back from Wagner's. I had a rom to test for a certain someone so I spent a bit copying tables over and then went out to the garage to load it on the car. I decided I should yank the front motor mount quick. I talked to AMS about getting a softer mount insert, and they suggested drilling some holes in the existing one (which is what I was considering in the first place). Six 3/8" holes:
Five minutes after jacking the car up, I had this:

Upon further review, I think I'm going to enlarge the top/bottom holes to 1/2", and add another 3/8" hole on either side f/r, for a total of 6x 3/8" holes and 2x 1/2" holes. This should provide plenty of stiffness over the stock bushing, but not rattle my head when idling.

Also, while I was on the ground, I happened to look up, at the bottom of the FMIC core, and look what I saw:

So, the FMIC is actually a Garrett/PTE core. 051-1124, specs are: 3" x 18" x 12"
Just nice to know exactly what I have now, instead of guessing.

The ROM checked out so watch for a post from our friend Tephra soon I will be pulling off the trunklid tonight and dropping it off tomorrow to have the holes filled! The rest of the car goes in for PDR, fill the nasty fender gash, paint, and detailing next week. Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #183
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
This should provide plenty of stiffness over the stock bushing, but not rattle my head when idling.
I didn't mind the mounts after a little time...just another reminder that it isn't my mother's Evo.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #184
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
I didn't mind the mounts after a little time...just another reminder that it isn't my mother's Evo.
Well, if the real advantage of stiffer mounts is getting power to the ground faster and having less slop in the drivetrain, I'm still there. I can shift the car as fast as I want and down shifts are super snappy. I've already put 1500 miles or so on the car, and I would say I'm not driving it much. I plan on commuting in this thing daily/regularly so the back seat is staying in and I'm going to do everything I can to balance performance and comfort. Suspension is next, after the bodywork is done.

Side note, you wouldn't happen to know anyone with stock GSR suspension for sale, would you? Ideally I want bilsteins, but damn they are impossible to find!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 06-10-2010   #185
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Anna was immersed in a book last night after we got back from Wagner's. I had a rom to test for a certain someone so I spent a bit copying tables over and then went out to the garage to load it on the car. I decided I should yank the front motor mount quick. I talked to AMS about getting a softer mount insert, and they suggested drilling some holes in the existing one (which is what I was considering in the first place). Six 3/8" holes:
Five minutes after jacking the car up, I had this:

Upon further review, I think I'm going to enlarge the top/bottom holes to 1/2", and add another 3/8" hole on either side f/r, for a total of 6x 3/8" holes and 2x 1/2" holes. This should provide plenty of stiffness over the stock bushing, but not rattle my head when idling.

Also, while I was on the ground, I happened to look up, at the bottom of the FMIC core, and look what I saw:

So, the FMIC is actually a Garrett/PTE core. 051-1124, specs are: 3" x 18" x 12"
Just nice to know exactly what I have now, instead of guessing.

The ROM checked out so watch for a post from our friend Tephra soon I will be pulling off the trunklid tonight and dropping it off tomorrow to have the holes filled! The rest of the car goes in for PDR, fill the nasty fender gash, paint, and detailing next week. Yay!
How is Tephra V1 going? I am thinking about getting a pump gas tune on my new setup so I can travel with the Evo...but i doubt i will. Low boost and high boost MAP's seem like a better idea
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #186
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlo26 View Post
low boost (pump gas) and high boost (e85) map's seem like a better idea
ftfy
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #187
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
How is Tephra V1 going? I am thinking about getting a pump gas tune on my new setup so I can travel with the Evo...but i doubt i will. Low boost and high boost MAP's seem like a better idea
Map switching works beautifully. Latest fix was to hold selected map across restarts, which is pretty epic. I have a timing map on my main map that I'm playing with (with a fresh tank of gas) and my shane tune on my alt map that is nice and safe. I can switch back/forth using the cruise control button, and there's a ton of other options for triggering it.

KnockCEL also works perfectly, I think this will save a lot of 4b11t's.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-10-2010   #188
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I am excited to get Tephra loaded up on my car.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #189
Murlo26

Does the Knock CEL really stand out? I wonder if it would've saved mine
Old 06-10-2010   #190
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Low boost and high boost MAP's seem like a better idea
You can do this, too. the alt maps have full boost tables in them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-10-2010   #191
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Does the Knock CEL really stand out? I wonder if it would've saved mine
Yes, you gotta kinda watch for it, but it's hard to not see a blinking amber light on your dash while you're WOT. Especially at night. I wonder too man.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-10-2010   #192
Murlo26

Quote:
Yes, you gotta kinda watch for it, but it's hard to not see a blinking amber light on your dash while you're WOT. Especially at night. I wonder too man.
Yea I am sure at night it would be really noticeable...i think he should have an option to change the center LCD to something and make the sound, then you wouldn't be able to miss it.
Old 06-10-2010   #193
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Low boost and high boost MAP's seem like a better idea
That'd be full of WIN. I want a regular tune and one that disables ASC on there.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #194
Murlo26

My regular will disable the ASC as well Unless I do in fact do a pump gas one.
Old 06-16-2010   #195
scheides
flips McGee

Ok weekly update. I pulled the car apart (forgot to take a pic it looked funny for a few days!), took the trunk off and some stuff under the hood. Small but good stuff.

Some GOOD friends I have at LaMettry's in EP took my trunk lid filled the holes from the wing, removed the badges, and cleaned up the massive screwdriver marks from whatever retard tried to remove the old 'evolution' badge. Then it got painted and cleaned up, and I installed it back on my car before wagner's tonight.

While it was off, I pulled my Mynes hood struts and my janky (but functional) UICP and ran it over to Primo Performance for powdercoating. They did a nice glossy black on the hood damper mounts, and a crinkle black on the UICP. No polished bling on this car, nice and simple

You can still see the big ding in the passenger quarter panel. That's getting taken care of next, then PDR, then buffing/detailing. It HURTS to spend the money on this and not making the car faster, but goddamn its starting to look good (IMHO).

While the car was sitting, I dinked with the coilovers a bit and decided I hate them, I cannot adjust them at all, the clicky things on top are missing. PB Blaster on top to keep them lubricated, that's about all I can do for now. I also yanked out the motor mount again and added two holes, and enlarged two holes from 3/8" to 1/2". I'm pretty happy with where it's at now, but some good time at traffic lights with the a/c running will be the real test.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-16-2010   #196
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

That trunk lid looks nice. I wouldn't mess with the body anymore personally unless it chipped the paint and is rusting. The wheels man. Space those suckers out!
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #197
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
That trunk lid looks nice. I wouldn't mess with the body anymore personally unless it chipped the paint and is rusting. The wheels man. Space those suckers out!
It's chipped and rusting So yea, it's getting dealt with. Spending a few hundred more after that for PDR and detailing is just me making sure everything is done right. I've got the resources and they're willing, so I'm gonna do it to it!

Wheel spacers. Meh. The car handles fine as-is
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-16-2010   #198
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

I like that UICP a lot man, wrinkle black FTW. I really didnt think it was janky before, it had some pretty damn nice welds on it.

Also, that trunk looks great, I love the direction you are going with this car!

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #199
turbotalon1g

Chrome the wheel look a lot better in person, the pics dont do justice this car is just so subtle its a lot more scheides style IMO
Old 06-16-2010   #200
turbotalon1g

AJ i see u lurking, come out with the miata pussy