MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-22-2010   #321
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: beaterX project thread

Why not

I usually do that with Shane because he is so damn busy I like to make sure and get a time slot that works for me so I am not going in there at like 10am on a work day, lol.

Fair enough, I can't wait to see some pump gas numbers, that turbo has seemed pretty solid on pump gas.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #322
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S

BBX FTW!
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #323
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

lovin' da blue
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #324
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Snap Crackle Pop.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #325
scheides
flips McGee

Look what I found on my back step when I got home from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #326
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

oh snaps. is it blue because that is the color of fast? lol. jk. looks flippin niiiiiiiiice.
Old 07-28-2010   #327
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Woo! Scheides turbo install day this weekend?
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #328
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Beautimus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #329
scheides
flips McGee

My parents are coming saturday, and omfg jersey shore season 2 starts tomorrow night! LOL kidding, but yea we'll see what happens. Install stuff comes into brookdale on friday.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 07-29-2010   #330
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Looks good! Not getting any porting/coating before it goes on?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #331
scheides
flips McGee

I have the turbine housing off and in my back seat. After my interview this morning I'm going to swing by MAP and see if they can get it done by tomorrow (praying). The turbo came with CBRD's optional port job. It's nothing like what Bob/MAP did for my BBK, but it is still a damn good port job, better than I could dream of doing with the cheap stone wheels I've used on a few stock turbine housings. I'll post some pics later on.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 07-29-2010   #332
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

And it begins. SWEET.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #333
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Bad ass, scheides knows how to do a car right.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #334
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

very nice
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #335
scheides
flips McGee

So let's see, got the turbo Wednesday, was supposed to help Rosey with brakes Thursday. His parts weren't in so I went ahead and started ripping my car apart Thursday night. Thursday morning I had an interview and dropped off the hotside at Modern Automotive Performance to get ceramic coated (it already had a good, basic port job by CBRD). Got home late, helped Anna with some stuff around the house and then got busy. mlomker showed up to put his WGA arm back on and ended up sticking around to hand me wrenches, hold the light, and generally motivate me! I got about 2.5 hours or so in and called it quits, the bolt holding the turbine housing to the block was all that remained.

Friday after work trevor came over and we went to town. I made a joke long ago when doing an IM install on my evo8 that this would be similar to doing a turbo on an X. Boy was I wrong. An IM weighs like 5 pounds, all aluminum. A turbo weighs like 35 pounds with the o2 housing, clunky and awkward as FOK to get out.

Shortly after this pic was taken, Anna walked up and started poking me in the ass and I threatened to kick her in the face...I was frustrated, she didn't like it too much, I felt really bad Sorry baby.

Lots of room once the turbo is out, but it's about to get filled again:

The BBX comp wheel kinda dwarfs the stocker. It's not a 4202 or anything, but this is actually a pretty sizable turbo. 58lbs/min.

After a bite, we swung over to MAP and got the turbine housing. THANK YOU Modern Automotive Performance for the QUICK TURNAROUND! These guys do great work.

After a few hours the turbo was back in and we fired up the car. Thank god, no leaks! I put ALL new copper crushwashers and gaskets in, save for the head-manifold, manifold-turbo, and turbo-o2 housing gaskets. Oh, FUN FACT! My stock turbo had no gasket on the compressor outlet, to the comp outlet pipe. Unreal. It didn't leak though, when I tested it. I put one on this time :P

Made a few laps around the block and 24psi on the 100% stock fuel system I'm seeing 11:1 afr up to about 5500, that's as high as I've taken it for now. I'm going to try and turn it down and rev it out, then slowly turn up the boost and try find the limit of the stock fuel system. I have a set of 800cc injectors to go in sometime in the near future, and asked Shane@DB Performance to give me a shout if he has any last-minute cancellations next week. For now, I'll just drive the thing, log it, and start enjoying!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 07-31-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Old 07-31-2010   #336
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

Cool beans, any gains that you can notice with your butt dyno? I've still yet to ride in an X, I'm down for a ride at the next dyno day
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #337
DB Performance

Drives: Cars

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-e...t-install.html
DB Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #338
scheides
flips McGee

LOL that's the one!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 07-31-2010   #339
scheides
flips McGee

Alright, just went out for the first real test drive. I did a boost leak test right before I left, umm, yea. Bad idea to do that on the turbo inlet hose for some reason on the X...car was smoking so bad I was worried the turbo was blown After about 5 pulls and a few miles it cleared right up The smell of the fresh ceramic coating also threw me off, but things are cool now!

So, take this whole bit with a HUGE grain of salt, there's a LOT of caveots. The blow overlay was done on different roads so it is not a perfect example of my stock turbo setup, I think the low-end torque is over-stated compared to VDR's I've done in the past. But w/e, good enough for now. I did ABSOLUTELY ZERO TUNING and simply turned the boost up bit by bit until I saw AFR start to lean out up top. Solid 11's through the powerband and jumping to 12 at 8000rpm. 27psi peak, tapering to 25psi at 7000rpm. Currently seeing 25psi@3898rpm, so 800rpm loss in spool from the stock turbo. 100% STOCK FUEL SYSTEM!

Still, the car does not really feel aweful. It is a *bit* lazy, but with the stock o2 housing and downpipe on there, this is really NOT an ideal setup. If anyone else were to be modding their car and looking for a jump in power every few months, I'd say ABSOLUTELY do the o2 housing/downpipe first, then turbo later on. At the rate I'm going with this build, I figure I'll have that addressed before too long I left most of the heat shields and a few bolts easily accessable on the o2 housing to make the job easier when it comes time.

Now, first overlay, remember...grain of salt! No tuning! I was running 15°*of timing @7000rpm on the stock turbo, on the BBX I'm only running about 11, LOL! Def needs tuning, she's got a bit left in it!

So yea, 3000-4500rpm really suffered (remember grain of salt) which I fully expected, but 6000+ this thing just keeps going going going! Peak wtq is down only about 15, but peak whp is up around 50! With tuning I'm hoping to see a bit more than that on the current setup, but I have a set of DW800's to go in first.

Overall, I'm SUPER happy with this setup, can't wait to get a few more mods on it and see what it'll do, but moreso just continue to enjoy the car. I'm so impressed with the stock fuel system so far, I imagine I could get more out of it with more timing but idk, will that cause fuel consumption to go up and max out the injectors earlier? I can't seem to log IDC with EvoScan v2.7 so idk where I'm even at numberwise there. I'll play with it a bit more and then get some actual dyno numbers before too long.

THANK YOU CBRD!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 07-31-2010   #340
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Congrats btw.

Is this still pump gas/premium?

I d/l that dyno software but I still haven't tried it out.
That must feel good up top.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote