MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-31-2010   #341
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6
Re: beaterX project thread

wow. for a stock fuel system...that's pretty impressive.
Old 07-31-2010   #342
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Nice work Scheides Looking good man, can't wait to see how it compares on DB's dyno.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #343
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Congrats btw.

Is this still pump gas/premium?

I d/l that dyno software but I still haven't tried it out.
That must feel good up top.

Yup, pump gas. 800's should support 380whp or so @DB on the stock fuel pump as long as I stick to gasoline. That's all I have in mind for now, because after that, I'll have to do an upgraded MAF housing, bigger fuel pump setup (can't just drop a walbro into these, its more expensive than 4G63 cars), and bigger injectors; that's pretty easily $600-800 minimum in parts. So yea, I liken this stock maf housing/800cc/stock fuel pump setup to the good'ol DSMstyle 550cc/2G MAF/16g combo Simple, just enough to get by, and (hopefully) potent!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #344
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Looks awesome man! I bet this thing RIPS once you do downpipe/o2 housing/Shane tune. You ever figure out why it smoked so bad after the boost leak test???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #345
scheides
flips McGee

I'm guessing I just pushed a little oil or coolant past the bearings somehow (only tested to 5psi), hopefully that is a done deal. I put a handful of miles on it now smoke-free, I'll report back
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 07-31-2010   #346
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

That's really weird, is there some special way you have to boost leak test a X? lol

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #347
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Great progress...and quickly!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #348
Murlo26

I had heard about some seals people were blowing out by doing boost leak tests on the X's. So when I did mine, I did it post turbo, just on the upper IC pipe.
Old 08-01-2010   #349
scheides
flips McGee

I got the stock injectors out and the part number on the side of them suggests that they are in fact 600's, which actually seems about right. 600/560=1.07. IX 560s could support about 315whp when really maxed out, add 7% and you get about 340, right where we're at.

DW800's are in, I'm playing around with a few sets of latencies published on the internet to see what's best to start from. Even just bumping the scaling and not touching the latencies the starts and drives pretty damn good!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-02-2010   #350
Murlo26

^Awesome news Scheides...I have loved my DW injectors...I never really had any driving issues at all thanks to Shane and DW.

Glad all is well on your car.

Edit: So did MAP get your hotside coated in a day? I am hoping I can drop mine off tomorrow at lunch and pick up the next day at lunch then drop it at DB after work on Tuesday.

Last edited by Murlo26; 08-02-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Old 08-02-2010   #351
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
So did MAP get your hotside coated in a day?
They did but it wasn't their typical turn around.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #352
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
They did but it wasn't their typical turn around.
I asked Bill last week if they could do it for me in a day he said they could probably, but I will find out for sure today. Dropping the black off at MAP for coating in a few hours.

Maybe Scheides has special hookups there
Old 08-02-2010   #353
scheides
flips McGee

MAN this turbo is really fun! So much smoother down low but still plenty of airflow to do a top-gear pass if you want to. Car just wants to rev rev rev, more rpm = more power, it's like driving an nsx or a supercharged M3! There is no real 'hit' when you come into boost, onset is slowed just enough to make the car SUPER linear, and transient boost between gears is still damn quick. I can't wait to get tuned and *gasp* get more supporting mods on this thing!

On the injectors, I've tried 3 different published scaling/latency values and all seem to want to go around -10 on the fuel trims and WOT has been anywhere from 10.3-11.8 on my existing fuel map, but they start, idle, and cruise perfect, even with the a/c on. The idle control system on the X is WORLDS better than dsms/evos, it is nothing short of amazing to me.

On the MAP turnaround, I talked to them a week prior, setup a rough date, and then turned up thursday and begged them to get it done for me. If you have more than 24 hours I'm sure they could fit it in 48-72 hours no problem, they like to keep similar coatings together (i.e. do a manifold and hotside at the same time). Basically just being respectful, giving them a solid heads up and then asking really nicely if they'll stick to that schedule is all it takes. Beer helps, as always. Yes murlo, I got it coated, see pics in the install/turbo pr0n post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-02-2010   #354
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
MAN this turbo is really fun!
lol. It's one thing to see the graphs but it's something else to drive it. Mine is pulling at 8k and I expect it to still be pulling at 9k once we turn up the wick.

Quote:
The idle control system on the X is WORLDS better than dsms/evos, it is nothing short of amazing to me.
It even keeps cams from loping properly.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #355
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
It even keeps cams from loping properly.
Thats a good thing! I worked really hard smoothing out the FP4R's on my IX.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #356
Murlo26

Quote:
MAN this turbo is really fun! So much smoother down low but still plenty of airflow to do a top-gear pass if you want to. Car just wants to rev rev rev, more rpm = more power, it's like driving an nsx or a supercharged M3! There is no real 'hit' when you come into boost, onset is slowed just enough to make the car SUPER linear, and transient boost between gears is still damn quick. I can't wait to get tuned and *gasp* get more supporting mods on this thing!

On the injectors, I've tried 3 different published scaling/latency values and all seem to want to go around -10 on the fuel trims and WOT has been anywhere from 10.3-11.8 on my existing fuel map, but they start, idle, and cruise perfect, even with the a/c on. The idle control system on the X is WORLDS better than dsms/evos, it is nothing short of amazing to me.

On the MAP turnaround, I talked to them a week prior, setup a rough date, and then turned up thursday and begged them to get it done for me. If you have more than 24 hours I'm sure they could fit it in 48-72 hours no problem, they like to keep similar coatings together (i.e. do a manifold and hotside at the same time). Basically just being respectful, giving them a solid heads up and then asking really nicely if they'll stick to that schedule is all it takes. Beer helps, as always. Yes murlo, I got it coated, see pics in the install/turbo pr0n post
I will try sweat talking them when I get there today

Yea its pretty insane how the X is up top...I honestly had trouble shifting my Red at 7600rpm, the turbo was pulling so hard up top it wanted to rev higher. The BBX looks to be exactly the same. It honestly is starting to feel more and more like my turbo RSX...well it was, lol.

What other supporting mods are you looking to do Scheides? The CBRD mani looks epic, I think i might do that this winter...most people on stock frames have showed no losses on tubular mani's on the X's and lots to gain up top! Or I might have ETS build me a twin mini EWG tubular to keep twinscroll, now that would be epic...but T3 kit priced, lol.
Old 08-02-2010   #357
scheides
flips McGee

More communication is better, Murlo. A quick email/IM/phone call earlier in the day before you head over (I usually swing by after work or over lunch) makes worlds of difference. They're expecting you, keeping you on their radar, etc.

Next steps: autoX (driver mod!), another drag event (let's get this thing into the 12's!), tuning time (power), miles (I have over 1000 miles on the new clutch already!), and enjoyment!

If I come up with some cash I'll look into doing an o2 downpipe (kinda want the MAP recirc'd) and one of their rev 2 exhaust manifolds. This should really help with the midrange and peak power throughout the powerband and start to make the most of this turbo.

That's honestly it for the scope of projects I had in mind with this car. I have some life and myself to focus on for a while, as well as helping other people with their cars, so the X will just be old faithful (hopefully!). We'll see where I end up after the above projects are done and go from there, one step at a time, no need to rush.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-02-2010   #358
Murlo26

Quote:
More communication is better, Murlo. A quick email/IM/phone call earlier in the day before you head over (I usually swing by after work or over lunch) makes worlds of difference. They're expecting you, keeping you on their radar, etc.

Next steps: autoX (driver mod!), another drag event (let's get this thing into the 12's!), tuning time (power), miles (I have over 1000 miles on the new clutch already!), and enjoyment!

If I come up with some cash I'll look into doing an o2 downpipe (kinda want the MAP recirc'd) and one of their rev 2 exhaust manifolds. This should really help with the midrange and peak power throughout the powerband and start to make the most of this turbo.

That's honestly it for the scope of projects I had in mind with this car. I have some life and myself to focus on for a while, as well as helping other people with their cars, so the X will just be old faithful (hopefully!). We'll see where I end up after the above projects are done and go from there, one step at a time, no need to rush.
Yea I gave them the heads up last week and again today One thing I do well is email shops in an effort to manage my build in some fashion even though it doesn't help a ton and might just bug em, I try to line things up in advance

Maybe you want to buy my ported exhaust mani when i go tubular
Old 08-02-2010   #359
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

i want a ride!!!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #360
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post

Maybe you want to buy my ported exhaust mani when i go tubular
Maybe baby! LMK when ya make the move.

I wanna see more dyno data out of the tubular manifolds vs a MAP full Rev2 mani, I think they will be closer than everyone thinks! That's a whole other discussion though.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV