MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 08-26-2010   #401
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero
Re: beaterX project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Looks awesome man! How close is tephra to figuring our X map-switching? Maybe try out an alternate map for E85?

If these are anything like the IX's, I bet some cams would really wake up that turbo, both spool-wise and power-wise.
Cams wake up the VIII, cams really do nothing for the IX.
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #402
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonFiero View Post
Cams wake up the VIII, cams really do nothing for the IX.
Well, I was really just talking more spool for the IX. I know Kracka said they made his turbo spool noticeably better. idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #403
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

Quote:
. Prolly no rides at the cookout, cops everywhere
Tomato's i better slow down once i get few miles from rogers since ill be speeding like a maniac trying and catch some of the event
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #404
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Yuppers, goodhart I'm actually a beta tester for Tephra, but its been out for months now Def need NLTS, I miss it

Lomker I gotta check out your car sometime (or murlo's whenever it runs again) and check out the cam situation. Not in the near future for my car but the gains some people are posting up on the national boards are awfully enticing

I'm planning on doing an exhaust manifold next, but after that its a crossroads. High-octane mods, or efficiency mods (and more pump gas). Either way I'm hitting 4.9v on the stock maf housing @7500rpm and the dw800's I got from you are going to be quickly maxed unless I go alky, so yea. I kinda have the evoX equivelant (in my mind) to the old 1G DSM w/ 2G MAF, 550s, and 16g combo.
It is really hit or miss, the whole cam debate from what I have seen. Some show huge gains and others show minimal. I know HB Speed and GST both are bananas over the GSC and kelfords and hate the cosworth, but take that with a grain of salt.

I think they help but they are nothing like the power adder on the 8's. They will make the motor more efficient for sure, but if you are maxing a turbo already they won't do much.

Jim, I think you were just able to max the turbo already on E85 so you didn't see much for gains. If you were running pump like scheides the gains would've been there more I think.

edit: I am not sure who was the bad luck charm, you or Mike...you both rode in my car within 24 hours of its death, lol. Hmmm

Last edited by Murlo26; 08-26-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #405
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Lomker I gotta check out your car sometime
I'd give you the keys any time. I always assumed you were going alky or I wouldn't have offered the 800's. I thought you'd be fine on those.

Does your AFE intake use the stock MAF housing? hmm. Not sure what'd be most cost effective. The problem is that the JM Fab flanges are over $50 and that skews the economics when it comes to DIY approaches.

Last edited by mlomker; 08-27-2010 at 12:52 AM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #406
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looking good scheides! Looks like you got some solid gains!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #407
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Nice power!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #408
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Well, I was really just talking more spool for the IX. I know Kracka said they made his turbo spool noticeably better. idk
Cams on my IX didn't do anything for peak power numbers, but they really fattened up the power band.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #409
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Congrats man, I hope you mean low 12s.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #410
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I have done cams on a lot of stock turbo/smaller bolt-on turbo IX's and the gains are always quite disappointing compared to what they do on just about any other car on the planet. With bigger turbos that don't suffer from any boost drop at all the gains are probably there or on higher reving setups. I have seen big aftermarket cams on the 9's do some decent gains, but it's always huge turbo cars, while you gain 30-40awhp without doing any tuning or anything when you throw them into a stock turbo Evo 8.

Scheides Evo X always seemed a bit knock prone, I have never been able to get as much timing into it as I can on other Evo Xs. I wonder if if its real knock or not though, since it's always in the same RPM and we can get away with all kinds of boost and decent timing in the midrange.
Old 08-27-2010   #411
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Nice power and numbers scheides
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #412
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Sweet powa!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #413
scheides
flips McGee

Weekly update? Prototype manifold and drag racing!

Caveots: I don't work for MAP; this is an unbiased review by a car guy that wants nothing more than to make his car faster.

I let MAP borrow my car for a few days for their lil-welder that could (Chris is amazing) to fab up a prototype for their tubular exhaust manifold for the Evo X. I'll be beating the piss out of the car and just generally making sure the thing works so that the product is as good as it can be. There may be some minor revisions but the manifold you see here will be available either cleaned up or ceramic coated.

The thing is really a work of art, I will get more pics of it. The flanges used are amazing CNC pieces and the welding is out of this world. There's not much to say about the product itself other than its built right here in the USA and the quality is nothing short of world-class.

We kept the testing *extremely* simple on this. My X was tuned only a few weeks ago and the tune was untouched throughout the entire process. The car put down 4-5 good baseline pulls before we yanked the stock manifold to get the prototype on. After it was locked and loaded, guess what? We made more dyno pulls! I made them do several to be sure but the results consistent and correct.

Holy crap that can't be right! We poured over the numbers and other dyno plots. The truth was right there in front of us. The car lost about 400rpm in spool. I was a bit disappointed by this to be honest but I feel like it could be helped with some tuning. This manifold utilizes 1.25" runners to avoid being too laggy.

Power. From 6500-8000 the car gained 35+whp. From 7000-8000rpm the car is up a solid 40whp! I was absolutely in shock, this couldn't be possible! But it was...it SO was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK-vA7jSdVE&hd=1

Now, the awesome part. Projects like this can take some time, but I told the guys at MAP that I was going to the drag strip this Saturday come hell or high water. Things ran late as they always do, but they made good on their promise. Friday night at 7pm the car was on the rollers for this test and then I went home to get ready for the trip to the track the next day.

Driveability. The car honestly doesn't feel any laggier, maybe a bit in 2nd gear but cruising around the car feels the same, until you are WOT and in the upper rpm. The car feels SO much better now, its still just as smooth and fun but damn it just rips up top! The car is starting to make enough power now that you start to get that floating feeling when staying in the powerband.

Reliability. I have honestly been the eternal skeptic on tubular manifolds. They all crack, it's easy to just say that. I'll update this thread down the road and let you know how it hangs in there. My hopes are *very* high that it will last for years to come!

*edit* current power mods:
aFe intake w/ perrin inlet
custom 2.5" UICP
custom 3" pte core fmic (not much bigger than stock)
MAP tubular header
CBRD BBX Turbo
MAP O2 Elim Downpipe
Megan Testpipe
Magnaflow Catback
hallman mbc
dw 800cc injectors (BP 93 oct)

So with that said, I packed up the car, woke up around 5am and hauled my arse out to wisconson (near Eau Claire). On the previous trip to BIR on stock turbo/pump gas was pretty consistent 13.3's@106mph and one 13.1@106.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/drag-ra...ounds-bir.html

Added ACT HDG6 clutch, dw800's, CBRD BBX, MAP o2 elim downpipe, and MAP prototype tubular exhaust manifold. This is a full-weight X with a full tank of gas, street car, sumitomo tires, just out here to have FUN!

Headed out to Rock Falls Raceway (aka slippery falls) in WI saturday for a test & tune.
This was a little more expensive than a sport compact day but MAN you could freaking hotlap all day if you wanted to!

First run: 12.7@115mph (as I rolled off the street, rolling through water box)

Second run: 12.55@113 (slightly improved 60', rolling through water box)

Third run: 12.51@115.0 (dropped tire pressure to 24psi, still rolled through water)

At this point I knew if I could get my 60' down I could run a 12.4 or maybe 12.3? I made the mistake of saying that to a few friends and that then became my goal for the day.

I was trying to go around the water box from third run on but the track officials wouldn't not cover the entire area with water so it was tough...finally go that resolved and they made room to go around....fourth and fifth runs I dropped the tire pressure to 20psi, raised the 2-step to 6500rpm and finally got to go around the water....BOGGed the first run bad and ran a 12.9 then the fifth run I didn't bog quite as bad (slipped clutch more) but missed the shift to 2nd so ran a 13.1.

I was frustrated as all getout but then I decided to man up and raise the 2-step to 7000 to try and get the bogging issue behind me.

Sixth run I finally didn't bog, got a decent 60' (low 1.8x) and overall a pretty clean run. 12.403@115.9! I was ecstatic!

The weather was beautiful and I had reached my goal in my mind and was ready to hang up my helmet for the day. After staring at empty lines for about 30 mins and watching some pretty fast cars I received a txt from my wife Anna (I had been updating her and a few others) 'keep going!!!!' ....how could I turn down a woman's request like that? So I manned up and hopped back in the car for run 7.

Run seven: 12.3@116.7 Probably about the cleanest run I could pull off and I had a smile on my face the whole way.

With the new manifold this car has really come into its own. Pump gas only, stock cams (fully stock longblock for that matter!), basic power mods and the BBX the car is a freaking blast on the street, and heated leather seats with cruise control to make the two-hour trip to the track and back
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #414
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

You "man up" a lot.

Nice job, i think you could have gone 12.2 even, your 1/8th mile kept getting better.

Always nice to go to the track, get faster, and not break.
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #415
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
You "man up" a lot.
Hughes started me on that phrase LOL! Its become this voice inside of me, motivation to keep going, get up when I'm down and push that last bit for that next 1% improvement.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 09-13-2010   #416
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

on pump and stock cams...amazing. imagine if you had e85+cams+tune! basically low-mid 12 Evo X is pretty sweet. I'd be satisfied with a 12 second pass. Congrats.
Old 09-13-2010   #417
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Very nice Scheides, congrats on "manning up", very nice runs..you are getting very close to an 11 second pass, some more practice and maybe your next mod and you should be there.

Tubular Manifolds really really seem to help the X's out for top end power, 40whp is crazy amounts of power, the CBRD one showed like 30-35 too. So basically it's an awesome mod, screw lag, lol, I bet it's worth the loss in spool
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #418
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Always nice to go to the track, get faster, and not break.
Congrats scheides! That sounds like a damn good final run to me. Hard to complain when you're getting better all the time.
Old 09-13-2010   #419
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Very nice Scheides, congrats on "manning up", very nice runs..you are getting very close to an 11 second pass, some more practice and maybe your next mod and you should be there.

Tubular Manifolds really really seem to help the X's out for top end power, 40whp is crazy amounts of power, the CBRD one showed like 30-35 too. So basically it's an awesome mod, screw lag, lol, I bet it's worth the loss in spool
EvoX still does not have NLTS yet either. That may be worth anywhere from .1-.3 secs depending on a ton of variables.

So, more practice and NLTS the car could get down to 12.2 or mayyybe 12.1?

I'm really happy with the setup; not sure where I'll go from here. On one hand I could do cams and (hope) for significant gains to run 11's on straight pump gas. Or maybe a crazy MAP Rev2 or Rev3 intake manifold with one of those 75mm adapters and a boomba TB (and again HOPE for significant gains)? On the other hand I could do alky or e85 and go for the guaranteed power gains....

heck for that matter, I could just do a race gas tune, add timing and a little boost and have that be my 'weekend' setup, no extra hardware required At $7/gallon it'd get spensive pretty quick though!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 09-13-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-13-2010   #420
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Must admit I'd be super curious to see some before/after charts on the intake mani/75mm. I threw one on my car but it's using the stock adapter and stock licp/uicp so I wouldn't be surprised if it were doin' a whole lotta nothin'...other than looking all billety in my engine bay.

You know you wanna do alky. Stop pretending. haha.