MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 10-27-2010   #481
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: beaterX project thread

I can't help tomorrow scheides, gotta hang out with a buddy i haven't seen for a while, told him i would already. I am sure you will get along fine without my infinite wisdom though, lol.

I will make it next time ya need a hand for sure.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #482
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Can't you just plug the battery in, and the starter wire, then take a screw driver and bridge the positive battery cable on the starter to the solenoid spade, make pretty sparks and get the nut off.

Also, it could be the air hose you are using. A smaller diameter one acts just like an oil restrictor for a turbot. Get a better hose, try again. Just borrow, don't buy, I should say. All you need it for is one nut.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #483
scheides
flips McGee

Not sure fatty, I'll tkae a look.

Murlo no biggie, I'm fucking shot from life/work right now I just can't deal with the car tonight. Just gonna lay low so I'm not a big POS at Mark/Ali's party tomorrow and just deal with the car later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #484
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^Call me and I'll give you a hand quick. Once you get over this crank pulley fiasco I'm sure u will feel a little better.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #485
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
just deal with the car later.
If you're messing with it this weekend then I could come hand tools or bring you a beer or something.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #486
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S

Son slow down! You cant even get parts for awhile! Dont burn yourself out!
T-rev still #1 and lovin it!!!
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #487
scheides
flips McGee

Spent a massive 20 minutes on the car today woot. Ended up hooking up most of the harness again to get the starter to turn over; two pops and the crank pulley bolt came loose! Just as I got the pulley off Anna came out and reminded me I was supposed to be helping with other stuff, gah. Ended up working the rest of the night for work, boo.

Fuk it will deal with it all this weekend.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 10-28-2010   #488
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Quote:
Spent a massive 20 minutes on the car today woot. Ended up hooking up most of the harness again to get the starter to turn over; two pops and the crank pulley bolt came loose! Just as I got the pulley off Anna came out and reminded me I was supposed to be helping with other stuff, gah. Ended up working the rest of the night for work, boo.

Fuk it will deal with it all this weekend.
WORD!
Old 10-29-2010   #489
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Nice. Always feels good to get over a hurdle.

Old 10-29-2010   #490
scheides
flips McGee

LOL a really basic and simple hurdle. The biggest hurdle for me is finding time to even touch the car. I couldn't find the T55 socket (long skinny one not short and stubby) described in the howto for pulling the stock headbolts os I hope what I have will work, otherwise I'm just pulling the longblock/trans all as one tomorrow.

Enough whining, no more updates till I have carnage pics.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 10-30-2010   #491
scheides
flips McGee

Super hung over from Mark's party last night but Kody came over for an afternoon/evening of 'do work son.' Had the head off after about two hours and the motor on the floor a few hours after that. On to the carnage pics.

Head off, piston#1 at TDC. Problem?

Head looks like it ate some shit. Just run it or should I get this cleaned up?

Good productive use of a saturday evening:

Piston out of cyl1, top ring missing about 1/3 and lower ring siezed in place:

Ouchie. Close-up of sides of piston:

Now close-ups of the cylinder walls. Just damage everywhere. Not sure what causes this but yea, not super pumped.

Cyl1(rear then front):

Cyl2(rear then front):

Cyl3(rear then front):

Cyl4(rear then front):

And finally, close-up of little damage on piston#4

So yea there it is. Gonna finalize what to do with the engine rebuild next week but MAP is offering me an extra nice deal on their new X-beam rods for the evoX. Comments/diagnosis/suggestions welcome!

Special thanks to Kody (GG_9_SE) for the hand today, couldn't have done it alone!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 10-31-2010   #492
Murlo26

Ouch, that looks rough.

Does it look like a .020" overbore will take care of this or not so much? Tough to tell how deep it is from the pics.
Old 10-31-2010   #493
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

What do you mean you don't know what caused that? The pistons lost chunks when you detonated and rubbed them against the cylinder walls before spitting them up into the chambers and munching your pistons.

Just detonation mayne. Get that block sleeved and some uber pistons, your free x-beam rods (hardy har, clever name for x parts, lol) and knife edge the crank for elitism. 1000awhp, go.
Old 10-31-2010   #494
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
What do you mean you don't know what caused that?
I think he wasn't expecting damage on all of the cylinders since he didn't mention all of the pistons chunking. I've heard that bits can visit more than one cylinder before they exit although I'm not sure how that happens.

How does the turbo look?

Last edited by mlomker; 10-31-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Old 10-31-2010   #495
scheides
flips McGee

Haven't checked the turbo for shaft play or anything but did look pretty closely at all of the fins on both wheels and w/o removing the covers to be sure, they appear to be all there.

Just talked to Shawn (simulatedwood) and he's leaning towards TTP's theory where the rings are gapped to tightly from the factory. Running good (high) timing for extended periods causes EGTs to get high and the pistons/rings fully fully expand causing the cyl wear that can be seen on all cylinders. There doesn't really appear to be detonation pitting on top of the pistons (maybe I should go take closer pics of all piston tops to verify), and he said that perhaps the knock I was seeing was induced after the ring failed.

He's the second person to mention 'cold seizure' on snowmobile engines where the piston warms up faster than the cylinder wall/block, causing a similar outcome.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 10-31-2010   #496
Murlo26

Quote:
Haven't checked the turbo for shaft play or anything but did look pretty closely at all of the fins on both wheels and w/o removing the covers to be sure, they appear to be all there.

Just talked to Shawn (simulatedwood) and he's leaning towards TTP's theory where the rings are gapped to tightly from the factory. Running good (high) timing for extended periods causes EGTs to get high and the pistons/rings fully fully expand causing the cyl wear that can be seen on all cylinders. There doesn't really appear to be detonation pitting on top of the pistons (maybe I should go take closer pics of all piston tops to verify), and he said that perhaps the knock I was seeing was induced after the ring failed.

He's the second person to mention 'cold seizure' on snowmobile engines where the piston warms up faster than the cylinder wall/block, causing a similar outcome.
TTP's theory is interesting, but most other shops seem to disagree with them. I am not sold either way, but apparently the 4g63's have similar tolerances so who knows. I hate the idea that TTP could be right though, lol.
Old 10-31-2010   #497
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

How do the rest of the pistons and head look?

Considering how uniform the scoring is across all cylinders I'm inclined to believe the piston ring theory as well.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #498
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
TTP's theory is interesting, but most other shops seem to disagree with them. I am not sold either way, but apparently the 4g63's have similar tolerances so who knows. I hate the idea that TTP could be right though, lol.
Yup, fukin hate TTP but who knows. Maybe the clearances are similar on 4G63's but there's some other reason that it does this sort of thing on the 4b11t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
How do the rest of the pistons and head look?

Considering how uniform the scoring is across all cylinders I'm inclined to believe the piston ring theory as well.
The rest of the head looks fine, the rest of the pistons just have carbon build-up; I'll snap some pics later today.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 10-31-2010   #499
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Holy shit, the motors already out..nice work!

Looking at the pictures, Id say it is a combination of detonation and clearances, it did get hot on the exhuast side and caused bad things to happen.

Scheides, definitely have the head looked at, Ron @ RS has a vacumn tool to determine the condition of the valve seats, id give him a call. You might be lucky and just clean up the rough spots in the valve pocket on the damaged one and be done.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #500
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Maybe the clearances are similar on 4G63's but there's some other reason that it does this sort of thing on the 4b11t?
If the assumption is expansion/contraction then the metal composition could be different, even if the clearances were the same.