MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 05-01-2009   #1
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Suspension questions

I just installed the Ksports I had sitting around, just to see how stiff they'd be. I found out online that the standard spring rates are 672lbs in the front and 392lbs in the rear. They don't feel as stiff as I expected, so I decided to keep them. Right now I have all four shocks at 26 out of 36, seems to be a good balance between bouncy and stiff.

My old Tokico springs were apparently 285lbs in front and 160lbs in back, way weak, which is probably why it felt almost like stock.

Now on to my questions:

1. Being that the car is prone to understeer, wouldn't stiffer springs in the rear make more sense? Would removing the front anti-sway bar help? Right now it's on the "loose" setting. Rear is not adjustable.

2. What ride height should I go with? How low is too low to mess up the 2g suspension geometry? Right now I have it same as the tokicos were, about 1.7" below stock. Thinking about raising it up about .25".

3. What will corner weighting help? I didn't preload any springs, just enough so they weren't loose.

4. What is the advantage of setting the shocks tighter? Will this help for autocross or drag racing? Will setting the rears tighter change anything?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Suspension questions

Stiffer springs in the rear should help reduce your understeer. 1 - 1.5" below factory ride height should yield a good mix between looks and performance. It'll lower your center of gravity but still give enough suspension travel and won't throw your geometry off too badly. A performance alignment is definitely a must though.

Did you play with your tire pressures at all during the novice school to deal with your understeer problem? What pressures were you running? I'm sure Spaz will chime in with what he runs, but I personally do 45F/43R while Evo's with stock rear anti-sway bars tend to run 5-10 psi more in the rear to combat understeer. It all depends on your setup and driving style though. I really recommend a MAC test & tune day for you so you can have pretty much unlimited runs and can make whatever adjustments you want throughout the day.

Last edited by Kracka; 05-01-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #3
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I ran 40psi around. Is it too late to sign up for this upcoming test and tune? Since I may be up there on the 9th for the dyno day, the 10th works perfect for me.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

You'll have to buy an annual membership and try and buy a spot from someone on the MNAutoX forum. Otherwise, you can always show up early the morning of and hope they let you in.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #5
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Andrew you need to get your rear suspension aligned, somehow break loose that alignment bolt thats stuck...

Stick with whatever height you got aligned to last, with your old springs until you get another alignment.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote