MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-21-2006   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Catalytic Converters - Advice Needed

Anyone got any advice on a Catalytic converter? I don't have one and the dink that pulled me over last summer for window tint could be another dink in 2006. I'm worried that he might do an extensive check on my car. I have a full 3" exhaust after the DP flex. I'm thinking of getting one of these cheap ones on ebay. It's a high flow cat.

It's a cat and it's cheap and that's all i care about. I just don't want it to massively affect performance. It doesn't appear too restrictive. Thanks for any advice. I know at the track i'll have to jackstand it and change to a test pipe or just change the night before I plan on taking it to the Rock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Cat...46897579QQrdZ1
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #2
npaulseth

Re: Catalytic Converters - Advice Needed

Just weld the cat cover over your existing pipe.
Old 03-21-2006   #3
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

That looks like a good deal. I'm a fan of running an actual cat as opposed to a test pipe. You won't lose much power, your exhaust will be quieter, you'll keep the air breathable and you'll pass inspection.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #4
Onefast99gsx

Believe me I thought of just doing that npaulseth, Or just getting one and gutting it out. However, I need to quiet it down a fuel decibels I think. The law in Wisconsin and probably Minnesota says that you can't have an exhaust that is louder than the exhaust that came OEM with the car. However, California has a 95 decibels law. Their law seems better I think. That would be 95 dB at 3-5000 rpms. I'd like to pick up a dB meter from Radio Shack to see where i'm even at. BTW- I have an RS-R catback exhaust.

I appreciate the input. Oh- I would still have to run a test pipe due to race gas. Is C16 or Tracktek B33 leaded gas, anyone know? Or is all race gas leaded. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006   #5
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Some race gas is leaded and some is not.

Depending on how often you run it, it probably won't be a problem. Your cat will survive the occasional bit of lead. Your O2 will probably take a beating though.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #6
npaulseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
I appreciate the input. Oh- I would still have to run a test pipe due to race gas. Is C16 or Tracktek B33 leaded gas, anyone know? Or is all race gas leaded. Thanks.
On a separate note, where do you buy decent gas around here (Eau Claire). We should meet up sometime (I work for Sprint on Gatway Dr).

you could always go the route of getting a hi-flow cat.
Old 03-21-2006   #7
Onefast99gsx

Outside of this thread, yes in the summer we will hookup. There is hangout place there by McDonalds and Sherwin Williams.

I'm gonna go ahead and get the cat that i posted the link for. It's only $35. I'll have to get a total of 6 flanges so I can immediately make a test pipe. I think i'm still freaking out from that video that's on here where the cops pulls the guy over and starts going thru all the illegal components.
Old 03-21-2006   #8
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

If you want to quiet the car and make it look legal for whatever reason, weld a converter casing around a glass pack and put it where the cat goes. Any cat is going to hurt your performance a bit, and will crap out after extended periods of using race gas. You can buy up to 102 octane unleaded(I use 100 octane quite a bit), anything higher than that and even lower than that not labeled unleaded is leaded.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #9
Onefast99gsx

Thanks Steve for your professional input. I'm gonna do that. My brother is an awesome welder and can make something look like it was born on the car. I don't feel like swapping it all the time anyways. Are you heading to Rock on April 8th or 9th by chance or just playing it by ear?