MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > The Good Stuff > The Style Report

Old 03-08-2010   #1
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Thinking about buying those cheap coilovers? Read this first.

When I bought my car a few years ago I immediately started autocrossing it. I figured in order to get it to handle the best I needed coilovers. I mean, who doesn't want coilovers, right? Not everyone can afford a $2000+ set of KWs and the like (I was eyeing Zzyzx at the time) so I opted to go cheap and picked up a set of Ksports from MAP. They seemed great at first, the car handled even better than it did in stock form, it really did feel like a gokart. Then I realized that if I softened the dampening knob away from full firm the car became very bouncy on the road as if they were blown, so I had to leave it at full firm constantly. Before too long the car started making all sort of noises in the front suspension, especially creaking when going over bumps. In the end the rough Minnesota roads took their toll on them and the front two were blown. Overall it seemed like a great investment at first for autocrossing, but the fact that the ride quality is so horrible on the street and there is little dampening adjustment in the mid range of the stroke (look at the shock dyno graphs) the whole idea of cheap coilovers was obviously a ridiculous one.

Since it was time to fix the suspension I chose to try out aftermarket springs on my stock struts. I was torn between the Swift Spec-R and GTWorx springs, but ended up getting the Swifts because I could get them locally, thanks again to MAP.

Once the Swift springs were installed I immediately realized that I no longer hated to drive my car on the street. They solved everything that annoyed me about driving on these terrible roads, and I was no longer embarrassed to have people in my car. The ride is firm, but comfortable. The suspension doesn't make stupid noises that it shouldn't. And so far from what I can tell is that the car doesn't handle any worse than the Ksports ever did. Mind you I haven't done anything more than rip around a few clover leafs on snow tires, but it feels just the same as the Ksports did. Though one thing I noticed is when going around curves at highway speeds if there are bumps that would normally upset the car with the Ksports, the Swifts just soaked up the bumps and the car stayed planted and didn't get nervous.

That being said, I am a firm believer that people should stay away from cheap coilovers. Save yourself some money and headaches and just buy a nice set of aftermarket springs. Cheap coilovers are nothing but trouble, but if you don't believe me you can search the internet about Ksports, Megans or what have you and find out yourself how terrible they are. Now, could things be different if I lived somewhere with nicer roads? Maybe, but that wouldn't change how cheap the coilovers are or how poorly they perform, the performance between the two is negligible. Just trying to do my part in helping people modify their cars properly and save themselves some trouble down the road.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #2
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing
Re: Thinking about buying those cheap coilovers? Read this first.

I was thinking about getting a set of those KSport coilovers, but I'll look at my other options. Great info though, thanks for the write up!
Old 03-08-2010   #3
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Good info Matt! I probably would never go with coilovers on a daily driver regardless. Just too rough and in the winter, corrosion can be a big issue too.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Agreed on all counts. Coilovers aren't designed to stand up to road sand and salt (especially the pillow-ball mounts) and generally are shot within 1-2 yrs. For a street car there is just no reason for anything but a quality set of springs on good shocks/struts.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #5
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

If only there was a good aftermarket Evo strut that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #6
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

agreed. I haven't looked at getting the K-Sports for the galant because of the reviews I've read on the galant forums. For us, it's just the Evo GSR/MR struts with the evo lowering springs and we have a pretty solid ride. I'm guessing you could partially blame crappy minnesota roads also.
Old 03-08-2010   #7
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
I'm guessing you could partially blame crappy minnesota roads also.
Partly, but there are threads appearing now of people with failed coilovers (the shock body broke in half) who do not drive in the harsh environment that we do.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 03-08-2010   #8
2zzgtte
The Russian Stub

Drives: 2001 Celica, 2005 Evo

Has anyone seen reviews on tanabe gf210 springs? I have those on my Evo right now, and I think it rides harsh but I have never had coilovers on. I am guessing that any aftermarket springs ride better than any coilover...

Any suggestions on best riding springs?
2zzgtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Most comfortable spring will be the Eibach Prokits.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #10
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2zzgtte View Post
Has anyone seen reviews on tanabe gf210 springs? I have those on my Evo right now, and I think it rides harsh but I have never had coilovers on. I am guessing that any aftermarket springs ride better than any coilover...

Any suggestions on best riding springs?
The idea is that with a coilover you can turn the dampening down toward the soft side and it will ride like a couch (unless you have ridiculously high spring rates of course) but the problem is with cheap coilovers their valving is terrible, so if you turn down the dampening to try and soften the ride the car will start bouncing. I've known someone who had KW coilovers, he could turn them down and they'd ride nice on the street, same with Zzyzx.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010   #11
2zzgtte
The Russian Stub

Drives: 2001 Celica, 2005 Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Most comfortable spring will be the Eibach Prokits.

Great thanks! I don't do AutoX, so I don't really have need for high performance.

I have the Tein SS-P on my celica with the EDFC and I can vouch for the difference of quality of ride when turned from soft to hard. It is totally night and day difference from the soft to the hard and vice verse.
2zzgtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #12
scheides
flips McGee

eye heart springs + shocks!

Progressive springs are the bomb, even on the stock shocks they improved the ride on my evo (I have eibachs). Now paired with the set of bilstein MR's I got used (low mileage) the car rides freaking awesome, but still handles very respectably. If I ever got into more competition, I'd defenitely consider the swifts, even the -R's...matt's car rides extremely nice now, and no danger of das breakage:

Plus, we live in MN. Think about all the junk that can get into all of those grooves coilovers have!

Even high-end coilovers use non-progressive springs, right? I just can't fathom how they can ride uber nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #13
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Also, my car rotates better now than it did before, ask me how I know...

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010   #14
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

AGXs and Prokits babay. More of a DD car then a handling beast like Matt D.
But maybe one day if I find another set of JICs and I feel like turning this thing.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #15
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Also, my car rotates better now than it did before, ask me how I know...
How do you know?

vidz or ban!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 03-09-2010   #16
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
How do you know?

vidz or ban!
The turn from Territorial onto 280 when I leave work is a 120 degree left, I sort of hustled the turn and the car basically pivoted around the corner.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2010   #17
scheides
flips McGee

Too late, you got teh ban!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV