MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-28-2011   #1
Amadeous

Drives: 97 Gst
upgrading the turbo?

hey i have a 97gst and i wanted to see about upgrading to the big16G turbo i have found some kits..

http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/pro...&cat=87&page=1

is this all i would need or do i need to re-program the ecu or anything or is it going to be a straight bolt up and go?

and if i were to go this route how much psi could the factory motor handle before other upgrades need to be made?
Amadeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #2
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6
Re: upgrading the turbo?

It should be a straight bolt-on. When I installed my Evo 16g, we just reused all the lines and gaskets. I'd suggest just getting new gaskets because everything else will bolt up directly.

I'd highly suggest getting a boost controller and a boost gauge. I'm guessing you'd probably hit fuel cut if you boost over 16psi if you have no fuel mods. It really depends. What kind of mods do you have currently?
Old 09-28-2011   #3
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

It isn't a direct bolt-up on a 2G, it is on a 1G. You need an install kit like in the link above. You would want/need aftermarket fuel pump, non plastic/stock BOV, upper i/c pipe, exhaust, downpipe, intake, some way to tune the car, maybe fuel injectors(depends on tuning system/power/boost), better intercooler(the stock one heatsoaks quick with the higher airflow level of the 16g).
Old 09-28-2011   #4
GsXkingGsX

Drives: 1997 Eclipse GSX
Send a message via Yahoo to GsXkingGsX

Honestly, I would buy the 16g install kit and rock a 14b all day lol.
Old 09-28-2011   #5
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The 14b is a decent upgrade for a 2G.
Old 09-28-2011   #6
Amadeous

i heard the 14b is a good one also.. should i go 14b or 16g?

right now honestly i have a
-boost gauge
-new fuel filter
-new valve cover gasket... not a lot..
before i do any turbo upgrades though im going to
-pressure test the air system
-replace the head gasket and oil pan gasket (already have)
-and get a new exhaust manifold and gasket
make sure that everything engine wise is good then im going to slowly get everything else. i just wanted to know what route i should take.
im not looking to get to much into the engine.. mostly bolt ons.. i want to reach around 300whp to maybe 350whp if i can.
Old 09-28-2011   #7
GsXkingGsX

If price isnt an option then 16g. But I ran 22 psi on my 14b on my first ever build and it took it like a champ. You may sacrifice lb/min but its spool is almost instant compared to you're useless T2small,

And while you are replacing you're headgasket, get some ARP headstuds and bolts and mains so you can up the boost a without having to worry about you're head seperating haha. Save the hassle.
Old 09-29-2011   #8
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7

If you buy a 14B used, you can probably get pretty much everything you need with it (you'll most likely want an aftermarket j-pipe, but you can rig up the stock 1G one); then if you ever upgrade to a 16g, you'll already have the 'install kit'.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #9
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST

You are going to need alot more mods before I would add more then 12lbs of boost if you upgrade to a 14b or 16g. You need a new turbine housing, I have a 7cm laying around if your interested and of course a turbo. Then a MBC, AFPR, dsmlink, injectors, fuel pump. I could go on but it comes down to if you want to do it right or half ass it and maybe blow up your engine. I would probably get a 14b and a turbine housing for it and get that bolted up and then go from there using the 2g boost controller until you get an AFPR and boost controller and then I wouldn't go much past 14lbs psi until you get dsm link and injectors. And a 14b can do 22lbs of boost but it won't last long and on a SMIC you arent supposed to go past 16psi because of heat soaking.
Old 09-30-2011   #10
GsXkingGsX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrenolds5 View Post
You are going to need alot more mods before I would add more then 12lbs of boost if you upgrade to a 14b or 16g. You need a new turbine housing, I have a 7cm laying around if your interested and of course a turbo. Then a MBC, AFPR, dsmlink, injectors, fuel pump. I could go on but it comes down to if you want to do it right or half ass it and maybe blow up your engine. I would probably get a 14b and a turbine housing for it and get that bolted up and then go from there using the 2g boost controller until you get an AFPR and boost controller and then I wouldn't go much past 14lbs psi until you get dsm link and injectors. And a 14b can do 22lbs of boost but it won't last long and on a SMIC you arent supposed to go past 16psi because of heat soaking.
Just so you know, All MHI 16gs of every varient came with a 7cm turbine housing. And if he does buy a 14b he can simply port it. And if you are referring to my post about running 22 psi on a 14b, it lasted a year and is still being used to this day by the new owner. Tuned with ECMlink of coarse. And it was using a FMIC not a SMIC.
Old 10-01-2011   #11
GsXkingGsX

Also, replacing you're 6cm turbine housing on a 14b with a 7cm will show you little to no results in improvement. Most people keep it the way it is to keep the spool of the 6cm. There are minimal to no gains in switching.
Old 10-01-2011   #12
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST

You have to plan for the future and when someone like myself would practically be giving away a 7cm housing, beer trade then why not since everyone knows that at some point you will wan't more power and it is only a matter of time before you get a bigger turbo. And yeah the 14b made it a year, was it only used for the drag strip? Try dailydriving a 14b at 22psi and lets see if it makes it a year. And even if it's a 7cm housing you still want to port the flapper, especially if your running 22psi.
Old 10-02-2011   #13
GsXkingGsX

No, it was definetly my DD haha.. I wasnt trying to be a dick or anything either man. I was just saying. He seems like a n00b so I thought I would give him some good advice. I've been doing these cars for about 6 years now. I kinda know some things too amigo
Old 10-02-2011   #14
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Ask Tachyon about running 14b's hard. He like to put them on high compression 2.3's and 2.4's and run as much boost as he can on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #15
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

What is wrong with the headgasket? I always recommend getting a vehicle to 100% prior to modifications.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #16
Amadeous

thats my whole plan, i want to get everything to 100%. i had a lot of oil all throughout the lower engine compartment on everything so i cleaned it all off and i was just going to get new gaskets all around to make sure there were no leaks. im also a believer in getting everything to 100% before i worry about after market stuff.

does anyone know of any good gasket kits for a 97 gst? also a turbo rebuild kit. im thinking about holding onto it for now till i get everything else prepped for a bigger turbo.
Old 10-04-2011   #17
GsXkingGsX

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...tt+rebuild+kit

And the OEM headgasket will do you just fine. Pick up some ARP's while you're at it.