MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 04-02-2007   #1
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Powdercoating, or paint?

First off, I DID use the search button, to find a few threads started on this topic, both my Brian, and by Brandon. However, they both don't answer what I'm after. I see a few places that powdercoat (doesn't list price per wheel though), but I'm asking which would be cheaper/yield the best bang-for my buck? I can either a)powdercoat black, or b) paint the wheels black with that dupont wheel color paint found at your local checker, or whatever else. How much is it usually to powdercoat wheels? They are 17 x 7.5 Kosei K1's, btw.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #2
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian
Re: Powdercoating, or paint?

Most places charge about $75 a wheel. It's deffinatly cheaper to paint em. Although, your results will be significantly better if you powdercoat. The paint will chip off after a while.
Old 04-03-2007   #3
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

I painted my rims and this is how they turned out: http://dsmstyle.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=shoes

It was ALOT of work if the rims need cleanup. Powder coating will last alot longer, that is the benefit with going that route, but its alot more expensive and you will have to strip the wheels.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #4
bluntedelvis
Click,Click,BOOM!!!

I'd save the money and go with the Powdercoating. It will last a hell of alot longer and the end result will look really nice. I havent had any rim's powered but I have had the Valve cover powered, best decision EVER.
Old 04-03-2007   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I agree powder coating will look much better. But we did paint my buddies wheels with the dupont wheel paint. We just sanded the wheels down, applied a couple light coats of some cheap primer, and applied a bunch of light coats of the paint. They've lasted maybe 5 months so far and still look fine, but the paint doesn't hide small imperfections as well as powder would.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #6
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Well, being as the wheels are BRAND new from tirerack, I doubt there's imperfections in them. Their current color is white. I figure I'll sand it down to give the primer/paint something to adhere to, then shoot it with the basecoat/clearcoat-about 4-5 coats each. Then wait a while for tires to get in stock (I'm still deciding on which to run).

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1

I wanna go fast.
Old 04-03-2007   #7
DSM_421
Banned

Drives: down the middle of the fairway bitches!

Do it one time, the right way and just powder them.
DSM_421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #8
rustygalant

if you want them powder coated they have to be sandblasted/stripped of all paint/coatings...which adds cost to this project (either time or money)...if you want black go to a place that does large batches at a time of black (like place that does bulk industrial jobs of hundreds of parts) and ask to have them do your wheels (so have them stripped and ready) while they do of one of their batches....its worth a shot to save a bunch of money and they could do your wheels free if they really wanted to be nice! only drawback is you might not get your wheels back as quickly!

call around. im sure if you mention this your bound to find someone that will ease up the price! otherwise the earlier figure was right one about 60-80$ a wheel from what ive been quoted!
rustygalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #9
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

Call a few cycle/bike shops about other locations for wheels and such. I've heard there are more and more places in the cities now with the ability to do one off colors of wheels, bike frames, and other larger parts for a very inexpensive price compare to what it use to be.
Old 04-13-2007   #10
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Why would you paint Brand New wheels? Why didnt you just look around for the same wheels in the color you wanted at the time of purchase?
I painted my GSX rims black and left the lip silver/aluminum. It turned out really nice, i still have them, they just have a couple chips in them but you can always touch up as needed. Ive had them this way for almost 2 years now.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #11
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Because the wheels I bought are NOT SOLD in the color I wish for. On top of that, they are on CLOSEOUT-therefore, only WHITE and SILVER where available-neither of which I wished to run.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1

I wanna go fast.