MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 11-09-2012   #361
1999Gst

Drives: 1999 Eclipse,
Re: The Gun Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
The Good: It's a great size for carry, it's very simple to take down and clear, its accurate, it has a nice fiber optic front sight that comes with extra red or green in the case, also comes with 2 mags, a holster, a mag holster, a lock, and brush.

The Bad: The parts are a tight fit. This is both good and bad. People have reported problems with light strikes and misfeeds. Springfield has stated that they did send them from the factory a little dry. They recommend lube and a break in period of about 200 rounds. Both 1G_DSM and I have experienced this.

However, both of us also have resolved the issue with a little lube and proper grip. On that note, it is a small gun. If you have a large hand, you may find it difficult to grip because your pinky hangs off the end. This is why I have the 7 round mag, it allows me to get my full hand on it. After lubing it properly I've put another 250 rounds through it, and didn't have any issues with it. I would have like it to have worked properly from the factory, but given it was a simple fix, I'm very satisfied with it.
Does it come with the 7 round mag? I will be shooting it this week maybe buying
1999Gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #362
Trogdor

Drives: people crazy

No, the 7 round mag was $30.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #363
1G_DSM

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto

^^^^^
I just wanted to add: The recoil is not bad at all. I'm a small guy, 5'6 135lbs and I shoot it fine. Granted I have small-medium sized hands and could get a full grip on the thing.

Like Trogdor advised, a proper grip and a little lube (not a lot) would fix the light firing issue and problems with it not coming back into full battery. I tested it out both completely dry and completely wet, and grip is the most important factor. Limp wrist it and you'll experience light firing strikes and failure to come I to battery whether or not your gun is totally wet or dry.

Keep a firm grip on the thing and you shouldn't have any problems.
1G_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #364
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Gst View Post
Just got my first Kahr and i love it. Went with the K9 full stainless little heavyer than the poly frame Kahrs. Main reason was for the crimson trace laser grip i can add on. Gun will be for CC license and got to shoot it today, not to much buck for the small frame. i like it and got a good deal on it.
Have you sent many rounds through this thing? I keep coming across Kahr's for dirt cheap and am wondering how they perform first hand.

A bunch of us are doing our CC classes here at MAP in a couple weeks, so I'll be searching for a CC weapon here soon. I got my eye on a compact 1911, which some find too heavy to CC...but then again I'm 6'4", 230lbs, so I don't think I will notice it much.
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #365
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Project21 View Post
Have you sent many rounds through this thing? I keep coming across Kahr's for dirt cheap and am wondering how they perform first hand.

A bunch of us are doing our CC classes here at MAP in a couple weeks, so I'll be searching for a CC weapon here soon. I got my eye on a compact 1911, which some find too heavy to CC...but then again I'm 6'4", 230lbs, so I don't think I will notice it much.
Kahr's is an American company, owned by a Korean corporation. They're kind of the daewoo of guns. They're they work properly for a little while, then turn in to a huge pile. They're cheap for a reason.

A 1911 is a great design. However, keep in mind that there are A LOT of moving parts that need to be fit properly. If you're looking at a 1911 do a couple things, the first being shake it around! If you hear any rattle or clicking don't buy it, this means that the parts aren't fit together well. The other thing to check for is if the hammer hits your hand. Some 1911's have a larger, rounded guard, others have a shorter straight one. Rack it a few times with your full hand on it so you get a feel for where the hammer will go when it's back.

Last edited by Trogdor; 12-04-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12-04-2012   #366
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Project21 View Post

1911s are awesome guns. By far my favorite shooting gun. But to get a quality one with as few mim parts as possible you will want to spend around 1k so a good one isn't cheap. I carry a Glock 36 with a Pearce +1 grip extension and wolf +10% mag spring. I have 1250 rounds through it and it's been awesome! I carry iwb and it can be concealed with just a tshirt in the summer
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #367
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

My Dad carries a 1911 and he is really happy with it, but yea they are a grand. I think it's a bit heavy but he said after a few weeks he didn't even notice anymore, and he's only 5'10" 170lbs.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #368
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons69 View Post
You will want to spend around 1k so a good one isn't cheap.
^This.

Gun don't always follow "you get what you pay for." But in the case of a 1911 they do for the most part follow that rule (disregard Kimber). I carry at Springfield XDs .45. It's been a great gun, but I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg. Glocks as well, they're one of (if not the) most reliable polymer framed hand guns out there. They're also not ridiculousness priced.

You can find some reasonably priced guns that are high quality and reliable. But brands like Taurus and Karh are very inexpensive because they don't last as long as other guns. That said, don't be fooled in to thinking a Kimber is a far superior gun just because they cost an arm and a leg.
Old 12-04-2012   #369
Trogdor

On a side note, I just got my Hidden Hybrid holster in the mail. This thing is awesome.
You can adjust how high/low it rides in your waist. You can adjust front and back independently to allow for tilt. You can adjust how firmly the holster holds the gun. Its cut to allow for a good grip. And it's really comfortable.

http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com/

Only downside is that its a small company and took nearly 2 months to get mine.
Old 12-04-2012   #370
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
^This.

Gun don't always follow "you get what you pay for." But in the case of a 1911 they do for the most part follow that rule (disregard Kimber). I carry at Springfield XDs .45. It's been a great gun, but I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg. Glocks as well, they're one of (if not the) most reliable polymer framed hand guns out there. They're also not ridiculousness priced.

You can find some reasonably priced guns that are high quality and reliable. But brands like Taurus and Karh are very inexpensive because they don't last as long as other guns. That said, don't be fooled in to thinking a Kimber is a far superior gun just because they cost an arm and a leg.
I think you hit it right on the money there. I would stay away from kimbers as well. I had a sig sauer that I sold to help fund my engine build lol. I loved it! I would also stay away from kahr and taurus. plus a lot of kahrs aren't that cheap. if you're dead set on carrying a .45 and don't want to shell out for a 1911 the glock 36 and XDs are both solid options at a reasonable price. When I bought my glock the XDs wasn't out yet and I didn't want to wait for it lol
Old 12-05-2012   #371
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons69 View Post
I would stay away from kimbers as well.
Why stay away from Kimbers?

I've owned a few and currently carry an Ultra Carry II and have had no issues with any of them.
Old 12-05-2012   #372
4seasons69

Just because they have a lot of mim parts. Personally I don't like the idea of mim parts in something I'm going to carry and I don't want to shell out for a Kimber then have to spend a few hundred more replacing those parts. But that's just me. I know people who love them and have never had a problem and have heard many people who have had lots of problems with them.

Last edited by 4seasons69; 12-05-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 12-05-2012   #373
Trogdor

Kimber's aren't bad guns. I just think they're way over priced, and you're paying a lot of the look/finish and the name. They work well, then again so would a similar gun at half the cost. My carry weapon is just plain black polymer with a black slide. If I wanted to look fancy at the range, or try to scare people off based on how ornate my run is, I would have gotten a gold plated desert eagle.
Old 12-08-2012   #374
1G_DSM

I have about 800 rounds through my XDS right now.

Long story short I will be switching to a Glock 26 when I get the chance.

Short story:

I went to the range and shot 100 rounds through my XDS. Total of 5 light primer strikes on Federal Champion 230g FMJ.

I also shot my Dad's old Jennings J-22 pistol. That thing is probably almost as old as I am and I'm 26. It's been used and abused. I replaced the recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor, extractor spring, and bought a new magazine for it.

Now bear in mind J-22s are known to be cheap inexpensive guns and are known to malfunction constantly. On top of that, .22 rimfire isn't the most reliable cartridge.

Total number of malfunctions from a J-22 firing 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags HP: 1 stove-pipe

So my dad's J-22 is more reliable than my XDS. 1 stove-pipe vs 5 light primer strikes firing 100 rounds each.

Quite impressed by that little J-22. It was pretty accurate for what it is. Had better groupings at 5 yards than the guy standing next to me shooting a Ruger Mark II at the same distance. (He was probably a bad shot but still)
Old 12-08-2012   #375
1999Gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1G_DSM View Post
I have about 800 rounds through my XDS right now.

Long story short I will be switching to a Glock 26 when I get the chance.

Short story:

I went to the range and shot 100 rounds through my XDS. Total of 5 light primer strikes on Federal Champion 230g FMJ.

I also shot my Dad's old Jennings J-22 pistol. That thing is probably almost as old as I am and I'm 26. It's been used and abused. I replaced the recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor, extractor spring, and bought a new magazine for it.

Now bear in mind J-22s are known to be cheap inexpensive guns and are known to malfunction constantly. On top of that, .22 rimfire isn't the most reliable cartridge.

Total number of malfunctions from a J-22 firing 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags HP: 1 stove-pipe

So my dad's J-22 is more reliable than my XDS. 1 stove-pipe vs 5 light primer strikes firing 100 rounds each.

Quite impressed by that little J-22. It was pretty accurate for what it is. Had better groupings at 5 yards than the guy standing next to me shooting a Ruger Mark II at the same distance. (He was probably a bad shot but still)
If you looking to sell the XDS PM with details of price, why are you wanting the 26? I've shot the 27 and loved it
Old 12-08-2012   #376
1G_DSM

26 over the 27 just because 9mm is cheaper to shoot. Shooting 45acp is getting expensive lol. Even 9mm gets expensive after a while. Hell, shooting in general is expensive even if you reload.

I'm not selling my XDS but if I reconsider I'll PM you.
Old 12-08-2012   #377
1999Gst

Yea those bigger rounds are fun but the ammo does add up $$, I try and usually fill up on ammo at the gun auction/sales I get a box of 9mm for 9.00$ no tax if i pay cash at the stands.
Old 12-08-2012   #378
1G_DSM

I thought about buying bulk reloads from Freedom-Munitions but even then its like $15-$16 per 50 rounds. 45acp is addictive to shoot though. Walmart sells 100 round value packs of Federal Champion 45acp 230gr FMJ for like $30 but they sell out quick.
Old 12-08-2012   #379
1999Gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1G_DSM View Post
I thought about buying bulk reloads from Freedom-Munitions but even then its like $15-$16 per 50 rounds. 45acp is addictive to shoot though. Walmart sells 100 round value packs of Federal Champion 45acp 230gr FMJ for like $30 but they sell out quick.
That's cheap , I'll have to see if they can order them or if they have those on there website
Old 12-09-2012   #380
M1L3S

Drives: 99Gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Gst View Post
If you looking to sell the XDS PM with details of price, why are you wanting the 26? I've shot the 27 and loved it
.22 is the best choice for range shooting in my opinion. just picked up the extremely hard to find sr22 today from armslist.com, got 1k rounds, hard case, nice gun lock, extra mags, all for 300$ cant beat that. ammo is not cheap.

if anyone has is looking for a .22 pistol sr is the route to take. easy one button take apart. shoots bulk ammo like it was the nice exoensive stuff, and is accurate enough to where I would shoot 3 inch groups at 20 yards no problem.

but if you ever want to sell the old xd. id buy her. im shopping for a xd9, g17, g19 right now.
M1L3S is offline   Reply With Quote