MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011   #1781
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

PM'ed. Thanks for the offer too.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #1782
Murlo26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuqalgz80ys&hd=1

God this took way longer than it should've. Getting the stock rear 02 out of the testpipe took forever, had to soak it with PB blaster and get the big crescent wrench on it. Then I took like my entire interior out to get to the plug for the 02 sensor, it seemed easier then dicking with cutting carpet. Then cut the grommet up so I could use it on my new wideband and went to work on the wiring and mounting of everything.

I remember why I pay people to work on my car, lol. Never have the right tools or enough time/daylight. It was basically dark when I started the project, did a lot of stuff by flashlight. Broke a few interior clips and lost some spring for a connector...weight savings I guess

Now just need to get the software working...meaning evoscan logging correctly and setup the new shane map for disabling the rear o2.

I couldn't get ECUflash to recognize the map he sent, I don't think I picked what its inerihited from correctly, I was winging it. I hope to have evoscan and stand alone logging working tomorrow, should be easy.
Old 10-07-2011   #1783
scheides
flips McGee

Nice work! Ya that is def one of those frustrating fiddly jobs on the X compared to earlier dsms. Glad you got it in! Lmk if you want my copy of standalone logging configuration file, it's not too tough but will take some fiddling as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #1784
Murlo26

If its not too much trouble, yea shoot me your config file so I can plagiarize it.
Old 10-07-2011   #1785
Murlo26

Got the wideband working for logging now too, yay. Thanks again Scheides.

Also, I sent you a few logs Scheides, ones I just took over lunch.
Old 10-07-2011   #1786
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Good job, if I woulda seen this earlier I coulda helped, I have all the soldering junk already.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #1787
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Good job, if I woulda seen this earlier I coulda helped, I have all the soldering junk already.
No biggie, now I have it all for future projects so its all good.

The install wasn't too tough, just awkward and the whole no light and doing stuff in the driveway with jackstands really slows it all down.

Maybe next time I have to do something I'll bug ya
Old 10-20-2011   #1788
Murlo26

Not much of an update, but the car is up at DB right now and no idea wtf is going on with it now.

The serpentine belt was rubbing pretty bad and frayed so they replaced that but I had gotten a knock sensor code as well so I wanted that looked into as it scared me a bit.

They didn't see any reason why the belt was rubbing I guess so we will see where that goes after more driving. The knock sensor code pops up 50% of the time now on startup (so every other startup) Shane said so I went ahead and ordered a new sensor two days ago so we can confirm the sensor is working. I guess Shane said he had been seeing some crazy counts from like 9 counts to 0 to 9 back to zero or some crazy shit.

I am hoping nothing is wrong with the motor itself and its something stupid like fuel pump or MAF or something. ERL has had a few problem motors lately popping up in threads with people having to pull them and send them back but those were strokers not overbore motors like mine.

Once we can confirm the knock sensor is working we are going to start trying things like blocking off my second fuel pump on the double pumper and putting the stock intake back on too for scaling the injectors better and what not.

Sigh, i was really looking forward to some peddle mashing, I think i have only had one clean pull since I got the car, maybe two. As we are getting these weird things a bunch. The joys of a built motor I guess.

Shane has been pretty good about helping out though and I thank him for that.

One thing I am going to have him try after talking with a few gurus and AMS is collapsing my high octane and low octane timing tables. Apparently that really helps with these crazy knock occurances. I hope that wasn't the problem though and that my knock sensor is in fact bad. With the code I can't imagine that something isn't wrong with the sensor itself as everyone I talked to said they have never seen this code. Especially since its the same sensor that took a blow from the rod on my first motor. DB checked it on my first motor build and it appeared to still be working.

I am so so tempted to dump this car and pay off debt, that sounds like way more fun to me. Not sure if its just my luck or if built motors just require that much extra nonsense to keep them up to par.

Last edited by Murlo26; 10-20-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Old 10-20-2011   #1789
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

It sucks you are having such a headache.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #1790
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

That sucks, time to dump it.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #1791
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
That sucks, time to dump it.
Maybe its Friday but I have a re-newed sense of sticking it out today haha.

Dumping it would be me losing my ass on the car, so I will give it a little more of a chance.

It's winter basically now so I won't be driving it for a while but I just hope I get time to figure some shit out on it.
Old 10-21-2011   #1792
Murlo26

Also the last WOT pull I did seemed pretty damn good (this is the night before I got the knock sensor code which prompted a trip back to DB).

So I think with a little fine tuning and figuring out the stupid knock sensor code (hopefully a new knock sensor fixes it), the car should be pretty good. I am just worried that the car might have a real mechanical issue, but who knows.
Old 10-21-2011   #1793
turbotalon1g

I'm not sure what shane tunes your car too, but it looks like its rich to me for e85.

I usually tune my car on E85 and once the mix is down to E70 or whatever u have it will go richer.

My timing is about the same too.

Good luck figuring it out man, i hope its nothing serious if anything at all.

Also are you filling up at the same stations all the time? I always seem to, but i prefer holiday stations apart from the one on 35w and lexington that one hates me.
Old 10-21-2011   #1794
Murlo26

Quote:
I'm not sure what shane tunes your car too, but it looks like its rich to me for e85.

I usually tune my car on E85 and once the mix is down to E70 or whatever u have it will go richer.

My timing is about the same too.

Good luck figuring it out man, i hope its nothing serious if anything at all.

Also are you filling up at the same stations all the time? I always seem to, but i prefer holiday stations apart from the one on 35w and lexington that one hates me.
It is a bit rich for sure, I was going to have shane lean it out to at least 11.5 or so. Most people shoot for 12-12.5 on E85(E70). So even 11.5 is a bit rich still, but not quite as bad as it is now. A few people said I would get rid of those 1's and 2's of knock count with leaning it out a bit.

Yes, I fill up at typically one of two holiday stations. One on central and 99th st is my main one. The other is near my work in plymouth, not too far from MAP.

The only thing I am worried about now is the seemingly random knock counts Shane told me about and the fact I get a ton of knock sensor codes. Hopefully a new sensor fixes it all and yay we are good to go
Old 10-21-2011   #1795
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

With all this talk about knock...reminded me a bit of this, and well its Friday..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt1R8...eature=related.

You are so close to finally rolling, don't get too discouraged .. you are a trailblazer.

Shawn
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #1796
turbotalon1g

Every car I've tuned is different. My old car liked it lean this one, I haven't figured out yet, she's a bit of bitch.
Old 10-21-2011   #1797
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
With all this talk about knock...reminded me a bit of this, and well its Friday..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt1R8...eature=related.

You are so close to finally rolling, don't get too discouraged .. you are a trailblazer.

Shawn
I am trying not to, just trying to stick it out.

Quote:
Every car I've tuned is different. My old car liked it lean this one, I haven't figured out yet, she's a bit of bitch.
We will see what happens here. I think a little leaner will clean it up a bit.
Old 10-27-2011   #1798
Murlo26

New knock sensor came in yesterday. Stopping at DB over lunch for a few minutes to drop it off and get their thoughts on everything.
Old 10-31-2011   #1799
Murlo26

Shane emailed me before he left today, the car is still on the dyno right now.

It sounds like the knock sensor code is no longer there! He said the big knock counts are gone too that he was seeing. He adjusted the fuel controller to bring the second pump on sooner and apparently that helped quite a bit. He said he was going to do more low load/boost and transition area tuning tomorrow it sounds like and then drive it on the street. Sounds like it is getting damn close now, yay.
Old 11-01-2011   #1800
Murlo26

Going to pick the car up shortly, Shane said he finished up the touch ups. Woo

Still no snow out either, so I have a few days to drive it at least.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.