MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-27-2003   #1
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Alright, I am just about stumped on this one. I have a few more ideas, but wanted to see if anyone else can think of something. The new talon I got runs great once it starts, but it is very hard to start. Now it just won't start at all. If you pump the hell out of it it will pop once in a while, but that is it.

I have replaced the whole fuel pump assembly, FPR, ECU, and plugs. It turns over fine and there is spark. One odd thing is that the fuel pump continuously runs. You can hear the fuel going back to the tank, so there should be fuel pressure. It doesn't shut off once the correct pressure is achieved like it should. There is a module with 2 relays in it that run the pump that I would like to check, but it should still run fine as long as the pressure is there.

Even if a coil pack is bad it should pop once in a while, same with a fuel injector, so I ruled those out. The wiring harness by the ECU has been messed with some. I think it was mainly to put the alarm in it, but I am going to check that out. I have also noticed that the stock boost guage is acting screwy. It will go all the way negative after you stop trying to start it, sit there for a few seconds, then go to 0. I also got it to go all the way to 14 psi and sit there when the key was on and not trying to start it. There is no CE light. I will be working on it more this weekend, but I wanted to see if someone could save me some trouble.

Thanks!
JET

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Since the fuel pump keep running as if it isn't making pressure, could the FPR have "broke" and not even provide any resistance in the fuel rail?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003   #3
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
And I drove the thing last, and it ran mint when I shut it off. I fixed the upper intercooler pipe cause it blew out of the coupler and then went and fucked around in the snow with it and it ran perfect. Pulled it into the driveway and shut it off, and the next day when Jet went to go to work it wouldn't start. WTF. Really weird.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

That is the thing, I tried another FPR. I can definately feel the line pump up some. I need to get a guage on it so I can find the actual pressure.

Old 12-01-2003   #5
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Breakout Champion! Field Goal FootBall Champion!
Why are you immediately assuming it is a fuel issue. The problem could be as simple as a corroded or loose connection at the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. Or, something like worn brushes inside the starter. Both of these problems will cause interrmittent starting issues.

Now, I do agree that there is some sort of fuel issue, but I would check some of the basics first, then move on to the fuel issue.

Joe
Old 12-01-2003   #6
JET
Is funding Exxon.

It is not a problem with the starter, it cranks over just fine. The latest problem was that the Alt. relay went bad. That caused the screwy boost guage and tach. It would not fire the injectors with the bad relay, friggin' weird! Now it will start, but it takes quite a bit of work. I think the air temp sensor may be bad. At least it is driveable now!

Old 12-01-2003   #7
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
I'd check the fuel pressure, it sounds like the pump is leaking pressure back into the tank. The fuel pump will run constantly while the car is running so that is normal. The relay you speak of is the MPI relay, if it was bad, your fuel pump wouldn't turn on at all, plus it makes a loud click, if you don't hear that, it's bad. The air temp sensor in the MAS should throw a code if it's bad, but you could always check it with a meter just in case.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003   #8
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Sure it didn't crankwalk? jk.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote