MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-12-2003   #1
adam_murphy

Send a message via MSN to adam_murphy
Ever since i got a new motor put in my car the coolant temp sensor come up on the check engine light. The wires are hooked up right but it still will not start in cold weather (40 and lower). I also had to spray starting fluid on the air filter just to get it to fire up. Also, when it is warm, the car will start right up. Is there anything else i can check or fix to help this problem, or am i stuck waiting until summer to drive my car. Thanks
Adam
Old 12-12-2003   #2
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Is the temp sensor good? If the sensor is giving wrong readings, your ECU won't give the proper cold start enrichment.
Old 12-12-2003   #3
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
have u tried replacing it? that woulda been my 1st plan of attack.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #4
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Thats neat to hear, since Jets 1992 TSi AWD is doing the same thing. If the weather is decent it will start but not that great but if it gets cold it will not start. And just this morning it wouldn't start again. I mentioned the coolant temp sensor to him and he is going to pick one up tonight and we are going to replace it and see what happens. And yeah when the car is warm or even semi warm it starts right back up and runs like a top. I was thinking that the coolant probably takes a long time to cool off so even after a few hours it will still start right back up. Also it is getting a check engine light about thirty seconds after it starts and it stays on. And the funny thing is, is that it runs like shit and you have to pump the gas until the check enging light comes on and then it smooths right out and idles fine.

I tell you what. If you change yours before we change that one let me know or I will let you know what happens when we change it. Cause it sounds like we are having the same sort of issue.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #5
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD
A disconnected ground on my coolant temp sensor caused exactly the same symptoms with my car.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #6
TheBlizzard

CVD, where is the ground for that? I reseated the connectors down by the lower cooland line and right up by the intake where it splices into and still the same problem? No wires were broken and every connection seemed tight but I didn't see a ground wire.
Old 12-12-2003   #7
CVD
Sten Sniper

My bad, it may not have even been the ground, I just assumed by the way it was acting that it was though. One of the two wires going into the plug on the thermostat housing is disconnected. This causes strange temp readings (sometimes accurate, sometimes way off) and has caused hard starts when cold.

I never did fix it, and it starts fine now. Never did figure out why my car does that, but some things i just dont fix, and the problems go away after a while, like the bad carrier bearings/rear end thump and the bad motor mount. After a few months of ignoring them, the symptoms went away. :woowoo:
Old 12-12-2003   #8
TheBlizzard

Alright I didn't think that there was a ground from the the temp sensor. I am assuming the fucker is just bad. I did a lot of searching too and found that if the coolant temp sensor is bad it will cause the car to do all sorts of weird shit.

I will just have to wait until Jet gets home with a new one and throw it in and see what happens. I will post the results so that if anybody else experiences this they no where to look.
Old 12-12-2003   #9
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Quote:
Originally posted by CUSTOMDSM@Dec 12 2003, 09:16 AM
Thats neat to hear, since Jets 1992 TSi AWD is doing the same thing. If the weather is decent it will start but not that great but if it gets cold it will not start. And just this morning it wouldn't start again. I mentioned the coolant temp sensor to him and he is going to pick one up tonight and we are going to replace it and see what happens. And yeah when the car is warm or even semi warm it starts right back up and runs like a top. I was thinking that the coolant probably takes a long time to cool off so even after a few hours it will still start right back up. Also it is getting a check engine light about thirty seconds after it starts and it stays on. And the funny thing is, is that it runs like shit and you have to pump the gas until the check enging light comes on and then it smooths right out and idles fine.

I tell you what. If you change yours before we change that one let me know or I will let you know what happens when we change it. Cause it sounds like we are having the same sort of issue.
Are you guys married or something? I don't think I've seen a post yet where you didn't say "me and Jet" or "we". Just curious.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #10
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Josh had a simialr issue, shut car off when and worked his shift and no start. Called john, he brought a whole buch of junk and a pocket logger, came up with CTS code, pluged a spare one in and let it hang and it fired rigth up.
Old 12-12-2003   #11
adam_murphy

i put in a working (worked before the motor swap) sensor in and it still does not read anything but neg 16 degrees. the only thing i can think of is just waiting til summer and sell it off. if you and jet find something that fixes it keep me posted...
Old 12-12-2003   #12
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Unless it is new, don't assume it is good, test it with a multimeter.Take it off, get a pan of water and see if the resistance changes with water temp.
Old 12-12-2003   #13
TheBlizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Goat Blower+Dec 12 2003, 01:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goat Blower @ Dec 12 2003, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CUSTOMDSM@Dec 12 2003, 09:16 AM
Thats neat to hear, since Jets 1992 TSi AWD is doing the same thing.&nbsp; If the weather is decent it will start but not that great but if it gets cold it will not start.&nbsp; And just this morning it wouldn't start again.&nbsp; I mentioned the coolant temp sensor to him and he is going to pick one up tonight and we are going to replace it and see what happens.&nbsp; And yeah when the car is warm or even semi warm it starts right back up and runs like a top.&nbsp; I was thinking that the coolant probably takes a long time to cool off so even after a few hours it will still start right back up.&nbsp; Also it is getting a check engine light about thirty seconds after it starts and it stays on.&nbsp; And the funny thing is, is that it runs like shit and you have to pump the gas until the check enging light comes on and then it smooths right out and idles fine.

I tell you what.&nbsp; If you change yours before we change that one let me know or I will let you know what happens when we change it.&nbsp; Cause it sounds like we are having the same sort of issue.
Are you guys married or something? I don't think I've seen a post yet where you didn't say "me and Jet" or "we". Just curious.[/b][/quote]
No we live together and the only time I say we or Jet and I is when I am referring to something we were both doing at the time. Are we on NABR or something? For a minute I thought I was, somebody making a comment about something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Just curious? :stick:
Old 12-13-2003   #14
CVD
Sten Sniper

off topic whoring! good lord!!!! that NEVER happens here :rant:
Old 12-13-2003   #15
TheBlizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by CVD@Dec 13 2003, 12:52 PM
No never....lol

Everything here is by the books right? :cheers:
Old 12-13-2003   #16
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Quote:
Originally posted by CVD@Dec 13 2003, 12:52 PM
Today I was racing this eclipse on hwy.... Ooops, just kidding!!!!!!

I am watching this thread very carefully to see what the outcome is. We have about the same issue with Terina's car. It's gotten worse with the cold weather. It runs fine after it completely warms up but it's a bitch to get it started. I priced a CTS at Advanced Auto Parts. It's $27.99. I'm thinking of getting one anyways and trying it. If it works, we've fixed the problem. If not, we have an extra sensor for when one goes bad (since we have 2 talons).

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #17
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
I tried the CTS, and it didn't help. I am going to give Nash a ring today and see if I can go over there and use his logger to pull the code out. For some reason I can't get it out of this car with a voltmeter. That worked on 2 other ones I had.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #18
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Have you tried to pull the ecu fuse? Just wondering. That's how I've always erased codes on all the cars I've had.

I hope we can figure this out soon. I want to get this thing fixed.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #19
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Quote:
Originally posted by JET@Dec 14 2003, 10:53 AM
I tried the CTS, and it didn't help. I am going to give Nash a ring today and see if I can go over there and use his logger to pull the code out. For some reason I can't get it out of this car with a voltmeter. That worked on 2 other ones I had.
Didn't Nash's logger get ripped off.
Old 12-15-2003   #20
adam_murphy

if anyone out there has a car that does start fine in cold weather, disconnect your coolant temp plug and try to start it, see if it affects the starting.. if not then we need to find another way.... maybe bad injectors or bad fuel in the tank?