MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2013   #2981
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Although sad to see the car parted a bit, it sounds like the smart decision. Excited to see the car in the new setup next year.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2982
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

double post

Last edited by Murlo26; 08-29-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2983
Murlo26

Well car remains on jack stands, if it cools off I am going to clean the engine bay and detail the car some. Then I have some gauge rework to do and bushing installs to do as well.

I am pretty much 100% confident the car will sit until next spring. I have gotten rid of a lot of debt lately and am starting to feel good about everything.

So with tax return and bonus next april I should have plenty to get it up and running again.

So far here is the new setup that is finalized, unless I somehow change my mind over the winter which yes can happen easily lol:

- ID1300 injectors
- wally 255 with install kit in tank
- radium surge tank for AEM320 pump, mounted in trunk where my washer reservoir was.
- new lines and wiring to battery for surge tank
- MAP 3.5" intake
- MAP UICP
- stock exhaust mani - ported/coated (want spool back, no long tube stuff, then I can run SA too )
- Map Rev3 intake mani
- 64mm TB
- MAP o2 dump downpipe, was going to do recirc but I like the loudness I think and the extra power.

I am really undecided what to do about my turbo though. For a while I was going to rock a stock turbo, be around 400whp (dynojet) and the same torque or more but with my engine I think it will get boring with it falling on its face.

So then I was going to do just a mild upgrade, Ef2 basically, which with a 2.2L should be around stock spool with more up top. Well then I keep hearing from others to go a bit more as I will still run outta turbo up top. So I started looking at my old FPred graphs, they were pretty damn fun looking. I realized I miss that setup and it was a good balance.

So fast forward to today, FPred seems to make sense but the price is the same for fpred and fpblack.

I spoke to another few guys that said it was very noticeable going from the Ef4 down to the fpblack and that the fpblack spooled 100-200rpms later than the fpred, so why not go black. Here is my old comparo:

Well that makes a lot of sense to me, same price, why not so here is my old fpred vs fpblack. It appears I have come full circle. Spool before 4k then so should be close to 3500 on my new motor I hope..I guess we will see.

I don't much care for going anything over 550whp, I don't want to max out my fuel setup at all, so I will run lower power if I need to but I don't know if I see a reason not to go fpblack over fpred.

Thoughts?

Also, I am planning some other lightweight stuff, 2pc rotors and carbon Driveshaft from driveshaft shop once I get the car running again.

Surge tank is 100% the first thing I am buying as I want a reliable fuel system. Then after that, certain things like porting don't need to happen right away but mind as well while its all apart.

I am in no hurry to get the car running so its not like this will all happen at once but just trying to find a good balance here. I was also thinking the EF2.5 or new MHI turbo (basically fpgreen) but again with my motor setup I don't know if that is enough air.

Decisions decisions, not sure what the hell to do. Good thing I don't need to decide right away. Wondering what you guys think. I think my setup will handle 550whp pretty reliably so I am not worried about that being too much power, unlike my last setup.

Oh, twin disc clutch will also probably make its way in the car in the future when my ACT craps out or if I have trouble with it at the track if I ever make it back there.

Proceed to give me crap for changing setups again

Last edited by Murlo26; 08-29-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Old 08-29-2013   #2984
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Can you post up dyno numbers of your old set up.

I am not an expert with turbos. But do you think having a turbo that can spool at 3500 Rpms will be able to hold boost and horsepower to a 9000 rpm redline? I would think your boost would tapper.

I would go with the fp black. Looks like good spool and make more power than the FP red.

Have you thought about putting the car back to stock and selling/trade it in? Food for thought
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2985
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Murlo = 2013 version of Swifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2986
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx

my boost tapered on a 35r about 3psi going to 8k. but it had play than so not sure if that help you
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2987
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
'Eh, I do get the analogy.. But Murlo has been on many cruises and always been down for a good weekend street challenge, so I I'll say for the record Murlo x 6 > Swifty.

Now when are we going to Coops, Dave?
Old 08-30-2013   #2988
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
'Eh, I do get the analogy.. But Murlo has been on many cruises and always been down for a good weekend street challenge, so I I'll say for the record Murlo x 6 > Swifty.

Yes you have a point. As far as decisiveness murlo = swifty, as far as everything else in life Dave wins. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2989
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

1- MAP's UICP is only the upper portion and doesn't include the 2.5" elbow to the FMIC. You could add Depo's elbow though.

2- From the real-world charts I've seen the new MHI 18K is a total dud. Even with cams, it made less than my EF2 did w/stock cams (same fuel, dyno, & tuner) and spooled slower; w/o the cams it was barely above where I was at with my stock turbo on pump. Originally, Robert was touting it as fitting between the Green and the Red (hence why MAP made the EF2.5), but now I'm hearing that it flows less than a Green.

3- PlanoEvo's 2.3L EF3 spooled almost identically to my stock IX turbo. If you do the 2.2L and want a fun street car I think the EF3 would be your winner. His current EF4 is too laggy for me and doesn't make for as fun of a street beast.

Last edited by Kracka; 08-30-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2990
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Can you post up dyno numbers of your old set up.

I am not an expert with turbos. But do you think having a turbo that can spool at 3500 Rpms will be able to hold boost and horsepower to a 9000 rpm redline? I would think your boost would tapper.

I would go with the fp black. Looks like good spool and make more power than the FP red.

Have you thought about putting the car back to stock and selling/trade it in? Food for thought
I am not really concerned about making power all the way out to 9000rpms anymore. I am looking more for a fun street car, not liter bike racer

Something that spools as close to stock but makes 500whp-550whp is where I think I should be with the car. I don't really need anymore than that I don't think. Sure I will get bored at some point but having a running car that is reliable is my new goal that hopefully stays atop my list.

Yes, I have for sure thought about selling it. But I am past that point now I think. The way the car was before would've brought a good chunk of change I think. But if I put it back close to stock, it will still have a 2.2L motor in it and I will lose out on a lot of stuff.

Besides, the more I think about it, the more I will just end up building something else up. I already know a lot about the evo and what it is capable of and I think it makes more sense to just keep rocking it vs. buying a v8 merica car that I will mod and probably break too. I think at this point I will spend less on the evo vs modding another car from scratch.

Quote:
A little low, but I understand the correlation. I for sure change setups lots so I accept the crap for that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmreck View Post
my boost tapered on a 35r about 3psi going to 8k. but it had play than so not sure if that help you
Not really relevant, but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post

Thank you for the support haha. yes, I change the evo a lot in search for what I consider to be the "perfect evo" setup but I hope I am getting close to done changing a ton and work on driving and maintenance but we will see.

I was hoping to have the evo for the coops run, but I could ride with knoxville or maybe just borrow the dads vette. I will talk to knoxville and maybe next weekend or something we could go as his car will be back together then I think.
Quote:
Yes you have a point. As far as decisiveness murlo = swifty, as far as everything else in life Dave wins. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
1- MAP's UICP is only the upper portion and doesn't include the 2.5" elbow to the FMIC. You could add Depo's elbow though.

2- From the real-world charts I've seen the new MHI 18K is a total dud. Even with cams, it made less than my EF2 did w/stock cams (same fuel, dyno, & tuner) and spooled slower; w/o the cams it was barely above where I was at with my stock turbo on pump. Originally, Robert was touting it as fitting between the Green and the Red (hence why MAP made the EF2.5), but now I'm hearing that it flows less than a Green.

3- PlanoEvo's 2.3L EF3 spooled almost identically to my stock IX turbo. If you do the 2.2L and want a fun street car I think the EF3 would be your winner. His current EF4 is too laggy for me and doesn't make for as fun of a street beast.
Yep, I know MAP's UICP is missing that part, they sell both though.

Not so sure I feel the same way about the MHI. In fact I have seen many many people switching to the MHI from the EF2.5 and seems to be a trend on evoxforums. I would consider the EF3 for sure, I think that would also be a good choice. But I am liking the BB option I guess. I know its pricey but we will see what budget I have to work with.

I agree, the EF4 is a bit of a laggy turbo, but it can flow some serious air so its expected. But that is what I want back is some response, I have come full circle I think.

I guess I am just trying to weigh all my options for the cars new setup. There are a lot to chose from. I want response but I also don't want to get bored right away with not enough power.

Hmmm..
Old 08-30-2013   #2991
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Yep, I know MAP's UICP is missing that part, they sell both though.
Oh you're right, I see that now.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2992
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Dave,

Have you though about doing a fp green? If you looking for a reliable setup, that is where id go (keep it under the 500 ponies and hella kwik spool brah!), then start looking at other aspects of the car to make it more balanced. But if I know you, there will be a black on this car in no time.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2993
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

FP red sized turbo or newer 5xmm that will do 600 with your displacement and MIVEC you will have all the response and still do 600whp or really high 5xxwhp.

Good luck.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #2994
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Dave,

Have you though about doing a fp green? If you looking for a reliable setup, that is where id go (keep it under the 500 ponies and hella kwik spool brah!), then start looking at other aspects of the car to make it more balanced. But if I know you, there will be a black on this car in no time.
I like the EF2 more than the green and I feel like that might be a tad small for my motor. I think that is a great 2.0L turbo though.

I am leaning heavily towards the FPred and shoot for 500whp or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
FP red sized turbo or newer 5xmm that will do 600 with your displacement and MIVEC you will have all the response and still do 600whp or really high 5xxwhp.

Good luck.
Yea, I like the red.

I am price checking the AMS 750xp kit with the 5858 and keep a .63 A/R on there, but I will be tempted to move way up again if I get that. The FPred will outspool that by a good 500 rpms I think.

I like the idea of not needing to rev my motor out to 9000 rpms I guess, 8200 or so seems like a good target rev.
Old 08-30-2013   #2995
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx
Cool Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

just giving u size and pressure drop rate for that size turbo incase it came in handy lol oh well.
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #2996
Murlo26

I have been going through evo withdrawal lately, no car parts, no driving, nothing and lately been on the forums browsing a lot.

So I felt the need to buy something but didn't want to get into my new turbo setup just yet, landed on this.

Not sure if this will be a "bottleneck" in my fuel system so I might run it on the return line but I think this is pretty cool. I will feel better always knowing my e content and when Tephra finishes the whole "flex fuel" patch so you can run whatever e content I'll need this sensor anyway. I got the GM sensor with it.

Now to just find out where to mount this.

Also been going back and forth a ton on turbos, looking at the 7670 BW EFR lately, might do that but who knows.
Old 10-03-2013   #2997
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Mmmm Borg.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #2998
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Mmmm Borg.
Yea I am really liking the looks of the 7670 turbo.

here is a comparison from a stock turbo...keep in mind the EFR started the pull later and is still full spool before 4k. This is on a 2.2L as well and its the "break in tune".

I am hoping if I get this to have full boost by 3600 and peak torque starting at 4k or so. Then shift at 8k.

I think it will be a much more fun street car on this setup.

Plus the EFR has an integrated bov and 3 port, so that will be interested to try. Also oil/water cooled and BB, so should be factory reliable.

I am thinking I will do this if I go a full kit, otherwise I'll be on a stock frame turbo of some sort.

I will also probably go the .92A/R internally gated version.
Old 10-04-2013   #2999
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Whats vegas the over/under on Murlo going back to stock frame turbo?
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #3000
Murlo26

great question, guess we will see

Now is a good time to not go back as I have to rebuy all sorts of shit regardless, so mind as well be a full kit right?

I am 50/50 now on stock frame vs. EFR kit.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.