MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 06-22-2006   #1
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3
Turbo timer question

Car: 1990 Talon tsi awd stock

My turbo timer was working just fine until a few days ago when I parked the car for a few days.

Generally I keep the screen on volts because I have a wire right now instead of a 80 amp fuse on one of the fuses, so I like to make sure the volts aren't dropping to low. Normally they sit comfortably inthe 13.4-13.7 range and all is well.

Twice now I have started the car and the turbo timer doesn't start. I'll drive for a bit and then all of the sudden it will come on.

And my volts have been sitting up more around 14.0-14.1 range, even have gotten up to 14.5 as well. At this point it will shoot up to 14.5 then it will drop down to 13.4 and start flashing at me. The car isn't running any different at all, so is my turbo timer fucked up? I don't get what the problem is. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: Turbo timer question

Voltage should be in the 14s pretty much all the time unless you have a high watt amp driving your subs or really high wattage lightbulbs that decrease the voltage when turned on...

Not sure why the timer isnt working properly, maybe a loose power or ground wire? You should really get that Fuse problem figured out because your car could easily have an electrical fire by using that wire...
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #3
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Yah, I have a sub and a 1200 watt amp. That could be why it doesn't like to be in the 14's. It's dropped to a good 10.6 before when it didn't want to run right but its all good now.

I have been meaning to go get a new fuse, but I'm not sure what to do with this wire. I'll get it fixed this weekend though. Only trouble is I don't know anything about turbo timers so I'm not sure where it is connected to look at the wires. I hate electrical shit.

Thanks Peter!
Old 06-22-2006   #4
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-T-Tauni
Yah, I have a sub and a 1200 watt amp.
Do you have any more details about you sub, amp, and how you have the sub wired to the amp (resistance configuration)? Purchasing a capacitor is something which may be a good idea if you're seeing voltage readings down to 10.x volts.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #5
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

About the on and off issue, check the ground, it sounds like its loose.
Old 06-23-2006   #6
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Jake: The reason is was only reading 10.x was because of loose battery cables, so I'm not worried about that. I was just shocked to see it get so low. I didn't hook up my subs and amp so I have no clue what he did, like I said I'm no good with electrical stuff.

Swanny I will check that out