MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 08-12-2007   #1
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45
Time for new suspention

Well the motor is done and I'm happy with it. Time to make it turn. I'm looking for something that is going to be very street friendly. This car is not going to visit the track very much. The stock suspention is starting to get loose so it's time for new. Wondering what set-ups are working best for street driving? Should I go with coil overs or are they not worth the money? What about the technical stuff like spring rate ect. should I look for? What work for you guys? ]
I'm think I have about $1000 to $1500 to spend on this.

Last edited by munchgsx; 08-12-2007 at 09:05 PM..
munchgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #2
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Re: Time for new suspention

I personnally love my K'sports. The only issue I have is when you turn the steering wheel, the spring will bind, as there is no plate on the top of the assembly the spring rests against, and therefore, binds when turning. They make a fix for it, but even so, that's money you must spend to get.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #3
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

If you decided to do springs I've got a brand new set of ksports. They are a 2'' drop for a 2g gsx.

imo coilovers are nice but you run the risk of gettings sand or possible rust within the threads and can cause problems. Sometimes this happends sometimes it doesn't. All depends on where and when you drive your car. Coilovers can also be nice if your at the track and you want to adjust your car to launch better, but if your not hitting the track much there's not much reason in coilovers imo.

If your just planning on driving your car on the streets and don't need to worry about adjusting stuff I'd get springs. I baught my ksports for my car obviously, and I'm in need of bank to tune up a few things with the motor and switch my setup around. I'm really planning on getting these same springs when I have the cash later on.

I'd probably pick up a new set of shocks while your at it. I've heard good and bad things about buying shocks used. I did and one of my friggin fell apart when we were putting them on. But new shocks and then get a set of adjustable camber/caster mounts with them as well. You wont be sorry you did!
Old 08-12-2007   #4
munchgsx

Been looking at a couple of websites and I see that the KYB AGX's are ajustable, cheap, and popular. I have a 1G GSX and I do not wan't it to ride hard but I do want it the feel sporty. If I go with the KYB ajustable or similar strut what spring should I be looking for keeping in mind I don't want it to ride like a hay wagon? Also what about sway bar or strut tower bars? Also does anybody have experience with Ground Control coil over set-up?
Old 08-12-2007   #5
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

GC's and AGX's work well together. A few people choose those to run for their race cars, cause it's budget-minded, and the GC's are a smaller diameter overall, allowing them to run slicks on wide wheels, without using spacers or longer studs. I have some spring springs that are a 2.5" drop I had on my 1g previous to the K'sports if you are interested. $100.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #6
munchgsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
GC's and AGX's work well together. A few people choose those to run for their race cars, cause it's budget-minded, and the GC's are a smaller diameter overall, allowing them to run slicks on wide wheels, without using spacers or longer studs. I have some spring springs that are a 2.5" drop I had on my 1g previous to the K'sports if you are interested. $100.

-A. Swift
2.5" is alot of drop isn't it? I was thinking AGX's with Eibach Pro Kit. Will this ride OK? It seems that the GC's ride really rough.

Nick
Old 08-13-2007   #7
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman

just keep in mind a stiffer spring or shock does NOT mean better handling, I do like the agx's though.
for dally driving I would stay close to stock for spring rate and controll body roll with sway bars.
just my $.02
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.

Last edited by gofastman; 08-13-2007 at 02:28 PM..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #8
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I've got a nice Koni Sport/Eibach Sportline combo that I'm selling, assembled and ready to drop in. The ride is great and the handling even better, I ended up getting some coilovers only so I can run slicks. They're still in the car so I can even give you a test drive of them if you like. $450 and they're yours.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

^ That is a good combo and the Koni's are better shocks than the AGX's.

I dropped my 1G 3" with GroundControls and AGX's. The AGX's were good shocks and I recommend those, but steer clear of GroundControls in my opinion. Either get lowering springs or real coilovers, but not the cheap adjustable perch springs like the GC's. The ride was rough and bouncy, they made a lot of noise, etc.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #10
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

I would look at Steves set up.

~John
Old 08-13-2007   #11
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

I'd also look into a decent set of sway bars. I haven't looked into it too much, but I know when I'm ready to upgrade my suspension, those will be the first thing to get replaced. Considering I already have a Koni/H&R shock/spring combo. The way it is now rides softer than my 240sx did with stock suspension.
Old 08-13-2007   #12
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

For a 1g the stock front swaybar is fine, just replace with back one with a Suspension Techniques.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #13
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
I'd also look into a decent set of sway bars. I haven't looked into it too much, but I know when I'm ready to upgrade my suspension, those will be the first thing to get replaced. Considering I already have a Koni/H&R shock/spring combo. The way it is now rides softer than my 240sx did with stock suspension.
You must have the Koni's on full soft then. I took the long offramp from 610 East to 252 South at 120 mph and the tires didn't even squeal. Koni's definitely get the job done on the firmer settings.

Old 08-13-2007   #14
munchgsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
You must have the Koni's on full soft then. I took the long offramp from 610 East to 252 South at 120 mph and the tires didn't even squeal. Koni's definitely get the job done on the firmer settings.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 5 being stock ride what would your setup be?
Old 08-13-2007   #15
munchgsx

I'm definatly not going with coil overs, to much for my budget. I'm am going with a strut spring setup. Leaning towards Koni or AGX for struts and Eibach Pro or Sportline for the spring. Already ordered a rear sway bar with new poly bushings and front and rear tower bars. What is the specs on the stock springs? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the suspention, it's one thing I have not had a lot of experience with.

Nick
Old 08-13-2007   #16
Scrmegl
Brian

Danger Wheels Champion!
Drives: '98 TSI AWD
Send a message via MSN to Scrmegl

I've heard AGX's have longevity issues. I went with Tokico Illumina 5 ways and Eibach Pro Kit Springs and think it is a great set up for street and occasional race. Had them 8 months now and love them. That is on a 2G but still good ride quality based on your settings and great fun on the On Ramps!
Old 08-13-2007   #17
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchgsx View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 5 being stock ride what would your setup be?
On the soft settings that I normally drive around on, I'd say it's a 6, very comfy, not jarring at all. It gets tighter from there as you turn up the suspension. On full stiff, it's a jarring ride, but the car doesn't lean AT ALL.

I've had several setups on this car and other 1G's, this is the best setup by far for looks and comfort and handling. I had a set of Intrax springs with some aftermarket replacement struts on my first 1G and I would teeter-totter all the way down 169 and it would literally launch me out of my seat going over any railroad tracks. It definitely pays to get the better stuff in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2007   #18
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
I personnally love my K'sports. The only issue I have is when you turn the steering wheel, the spring will bind,-A. Swift
Mine has a plate that spins with the spring? Anyways, I really like the Ksports, nice and stiff. And they are a lot narrower than stock, I believe you may be able to run a wider wheel and tire combo.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #19
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchgsx View Post
I'm definatly not going with coil overs, to much for my budget. I'm am going with a strut spring setup. Leaning towards Koni or AGX for struts and Eibach Pro or Sportline for the spring. Already ordered a rear sway bar with new poly bushings and front and rear tower bars. What is the specs on the stock springs? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the suspention, it's one thing I have not had a lot of experience with.

Nick
you can also "stiffen up" your stock sway bars with better mounting points such as polly bushings, that may be all you need in the front.
make sure you get greaseable ones though, they will squeek when the lube washes away, even the graphite impregnated ones
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #20
munchgsx

Ok, I think I've decide on the Koni and Sportline setup. I ordered a rear bar with bushings, I think I'll also replace the front bushings. My next question would be camber/caster ajustment whats the best hardware for doing this?