MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-22-2010   #181
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Drives: IS300
Send a message via AIM to Febo
Re: Engine Oil

Marketing at its finest, yet you are comparing two companies that basically live off their name, one of which wasn't even able to get the proper certifications for half of its product line. Just saying.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Febo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #182
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Coming from the guy who works at a competing oil change shop?
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #183
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Say what you want. But any company that fakes an API seal because they can't actually get one shouldn't be given a seat at the table in this discussion. GTFO Amsoil.

Also, yes I do realize I am coming from a competitor stand point, however on the quick lube side we are not in any real competition with Mobil 1 up here. We are more worried about making Jiffy Lube and Pennzoil look like shit bags.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Old 12-22-2010   #184
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Where the F did this 3000 mile mark come from? i remember seeing multiple places that the oil doesnt reach its full potential until around 4000 miles. then it starts to drop. Hence why most car manufactureres now recommend 5000 mile changes.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #185
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Majority of what I've heard over on BITOG about Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic oils is that it's supposidely pretty decent.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #186
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

If someones bored, It would be fun to see what those blackwater tests show for different oils.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #187
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Blackstone

Stop thinking about war/politics.
Old 12-22-2010   #188
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

I get my oil tested at watergate every 6 months.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #189
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I wish they had zinc/phos specs listed for Castrol Syntec 10w-40 since that's what I put in last May on the dyno. I've only driven the car a couple thousand miles since then, I'll probably change it again in spring just for giggles. I think 20w-50 might be a bit much for my car, though according to FP I have a race engine since I make 100bhp/liter lol.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #190
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
though according to FP I have a race engine since I make 100bhp/liter lol.
They actually said anything that makes 100hp per piston is in race engine territory.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #191
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
They actually said anything that makes 100hp per piston is in race engine territory.
Well dang, you're right. Please ignore my misquote, I won't be making anywhere close to 800hp ever.

I just read a lot on ls1tech about this same subject, interesting info. Anyway, I think it probably doesn't matter for me since I'm not exactly pushing the limits, though I have noticed I starting using a bit of oil after switching from M1 to Syntec.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #192
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
LOL @ everyone claiming they have billion times more wear protection. Marketing hype at it's finest. The 3/4 ball wear tests mean nothing, it's a test that was designed for testing gear oil, not engine oil.

(sorry in advance for the goofy formatting, I bolded M1 numbers to make it a bit easier to read)

Mobil 1 10W-30 Amsoil XL 10W-30
Viscosity @ 100慢: 10.7 10.5
Viscosity, @ 40慢: 65.3 63.6
Viscosity Index: 154 155
HTHS Viscosity: 3.26 3.2
Pour Point, 慢: -39 -40
Flash Point, 慢: 230 232

When you compare these actual technical specs (i.e. not laboratory tests paid for by Amsoil) you can see how nearly identical these oils are.
Going by these statistics you could claim a certain olive oil was "oh so similar" as well, even though I'm sure some terrible things would happen if you ran that for a second.

If Mobile 1 is so awesome, why do a large amount of reputible builders warn people to stay away from it? Using the "factory fill" excuse is old, Would you use an OEM swaybar over a Whiteline because it was on it from the factory? or would you go with a higher quality product?

Also, why does FP recommend a different oil for use in their turbos then the stock ones? Idk, different bearings. Higher load. The fact that a high performance part may require something different? I have non-oem bearings throughout my entire engine, and that coupled with my cars performance means that I almost have to use a heaver and higher quality oil. It's the same theory. I'm guessing if you call up PTE or Garrett, and ask them "M1 vs Amsoil XP or Dominator" the answer will be the same everytime.

Last edited by 311evo; 12-22-2010 at 05:24 PM..
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #193
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I use valvoline or rotella. i can't believe u guys get your oil tested for cars you barely keep for a few years.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #194
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Where the F did this 3000 mile mark come from? i remember seeing multiple places that the oil doesnt reach its full potential until around 4000 miles. then it starts to drop. Hence why most car manufactureres now recommend 5000 mile changes.
This.... This is one of those retarded notions I deal with daily. It goes along with "An airfilter doesnt even start to work till it's 80% clogged"

How can something that starts to shear and break down the moment the engine starts after the oil change come into its "full potential" after 3000 miles?

Thats like saying your food isnt awesome until you have chewed it for 5 mins, spit it back out then ate it again.

Or, your engines compression is at its max until 100,000 miles, after it has had a chance to build up sludge and other shit in it for awhile.

And then to answer the question instead of belittling tom....
I do BELIEVE it came from the fact that when non-detergent oils break down there is nothing to clean up the sludge, so to keep sludge to a minimum it was recommended to get it out at 3k miles before it reaches the break down point where large amounts of sludge develop. Remember, this was on technology that is decades old and where conventional was king and the only synthetics being used were in airplane engines. This was also when people use to tune their car by ear and backed off 5* after getting a pinging noise. Time to get into the 21st century with this and just give in to the fact that more demanding engines with higher compressions and tighter tolerances need thinner and easier flowing oils that are sludge free. Hence synthetics and changing the oil every 5k or less.

VAG and BMW specs for 10-15k are because Europe is requiring their cars to run longer on the oil so as to reduce pollution overall from used oil. They counteract this with "premium filters" that have a higher capacity for debris, as well as synthetic mediums.

/trying to be smart

Last edited by Febo; 12-22-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: I have a lot to say because I'm long winded, and like to be right.
Old 12-23-2010   #195
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Going by these statistics you could claim a certain olive oil was "oh so similar" as well, even though I'm sure some terrible things would happen if you ran that for a second.

If Mobile 1 is so awesome, why do a large amount of reputible builders warn people to stay away from it? Using the "factory fill" excuse is old, Would you use an OEM swaybar over a Whiteline because it was on it from the factory? or would you go with a higher quality product?

Also, why does FP recommend a different oil for use in their turbos then the stock ones? Idk, different bearings. Higher load. The fact that a high performance part may require something different? I have non-oem bearings throughout my entire engine, and that coupled with my cars performance means that I almost have to use a heaver and higher quality oil. It's the same theory. I'm guessing if you call up PTE or Garrett, and ask them "M1 vs Amsoil XP or Dominator" the answer will be the same everytime.
More facts less hype please. If I wanted to read an Amsoil brochure I would. Whatever it takes to make yourself feel good about spending extra though. Mobil 1 is the easy scapegoat; for reason why see my comment a few posts back. FP's oil PDF is nothing but a temporary fix to get people off Robert's back just like the o2 housing claim and then the oil line claim was.

LOL @ you for trying to call me out for posting actual technical specs of oil. Find me olive oil that has the same properties as motor oil and I'll put it in my engine.

Last edited by Kracka; 12-23-2010 at 07:32 AM..
Old 12-23-2010   #196
311evo

The only "technical specs" that you gave were viscosity. You wouldn't drink pee instead of water and call them "basically the same" would you?

Amsoil brochure? I was using an example.

There's plenty of facts and tests out there, if you want to swing from the nuts of Mobil 1 thats fine. I'll stick with something that a ass pile of reputible engine builders tell me, along with the tests that plenty of 3rd party people have done. It's not my fault that you're stubborn enough to ignore the actual facts.
Old 12-23-2010   #197
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

"Why are some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils API licensed and some are not?
There are two primary reasons:

1. There are strict phosphorus additive level restrictions placed on API certified oils that would
minimize the full performance and extended oil drain capability of AMSOIL motor oils.
2. The API does NOT allow read-across approvals for synthetic motor oils, and therefore
certification costs become unrealistic.

Phosphorus Restrictions

Full API licensing, or certification, would impose strict phosphorous limitations on AMSOIL motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed...." (Copyright 2008)

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm

HAHAHA, Yeah... Go AMSOIL.... At least Mobil 1 can get API certs for their entire line.

Old 12-23-2010   #198
311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Find me olive oil that has the same properties as motor oil and I'll put it in my engine.
Considering the only "properties" you care about is viscosity, here you go. Looks like Olive Oil would be right around SAE 15.

Motor oil SAE 10
Viscosity
[Pa新] 0.065
[cP=mPa.s]65

Motor oil SAE 40
Viscosity
[Pa新]0.319
[cP=mPa.s]319

Olive Oil
Viscosity
[Pa新]0.081
[cP=mPa.s]81

I'll even supply you with the first 5 Quarts, What brand would you prefer?

(obviously not saying it is super similar to motor oil, but the viscosity is extremely similar. There is a lot of things that matter besides viscostiy, which is my basic point.)

Last edited by 311evo; 12-23-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Old 12-23-2010   #199
311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febo View Post
HAHAHA, Yeah... Go AMSOIL.... At least Mobil 1 can get API certs for their entire line.
Yeah, I dont really care about Amsoil, just using it as an example.
Old 12-23-2010   #200
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Considering the only "properties" you care about is viscosity, here you go. Looks like Olive Oil would be right around SAE 15.

Motor oil SAE 10
Viscosity
[Pa新] 0.065
[cP=mPa.s]65

Motor oil SAE 40
Viscosity
[Pa新]0.319
[cP=mPa.s]319

Olive Oil
Viscosity
[Pa新]0.081
[cP=mPa.s]81

I'll even supply you with the first 5 Quarts, What brand would you prefer?
Hahaha, are you kidding me?? Olive oil is barely better than a 10 weight oil, and you are trying to claim victory??? GTFO lol