Old 03-31-2006   #1
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer
Starting system problem!

Alright, here we go.
1990 FWD Turbo Laser 5sp.
Since I started my car the first few times I have had starting system problems. When I go to turn the car over I hear the ECU click, and the starter will make a small noise, and then nothing. So first instinct is dead battery, charge it up, and it still does the same thing. Change batterys, and it does the same thing. Charge that battery, still no go. Then I decide to change the starter and it worked fine for a whole 20 minutes. As soon as I got to where I was going, it was back to just clicking.

So I have 2 good starters, 2 good batteries, both of them charged, I hear the ECU and starter make noise which pretty much means its not an ignition switch. It also isn't a battery or a starter. What are my other options as to what it might be? Everything on the starter is connected properly, and when I push start the car it runs fine, but after it dies, its dead.

Whats odd though, is that every once in a while when I try it and hit the key, it will turn over and start normally. I find that odd. So I also doubt it is a lack of amperage going to the starter, although it could be. What do you guys think it might be?
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #2
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Drives: IS300
Send a message via AIM to Febo
Re: Starting system problem!

Check your battery CABLES, check the ground wires, check the relays, check your actual ignition, then check ECU if none of the above fix it.... if its none of those, Im stummped.
Febo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #3
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

I ckecked the cables, and I have good battery terminal connections. All of the ground wires that I can find are in tact and contacting what they should be without corrosion. Actual ignition is fine. ECU works fine, as I have been driving it around for the past 5 days with no problems other than the starter hates me.

I have not checked the relays yet. What relays are on there that would affect starting the car?
Old 03-31-2006   #4
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

I thought there was a starter relay on the drivers side fender.... maybe Im wrong. Hrm, Im stumpped then, maybe it was a defective starter? Or your clutch switch might be bad (assuming you have a manual)
Old 03-31-2006   #5
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Check your 80amp alternator fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay. If thats not it then try to jump it. If you can get it started by jumping it then take the negative terminal off the battery and if it dies than you know the alternator is bad. The car will stay running if the alternator is good.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #6
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

could be your ecu?
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #7
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

If you didnt say you tried 2 batteries i would have said bad cell in your battery, sometimes a cell will fail and still test good but under a load will lack necesary power.

Have you tried testing the wire that goes to the starter solenoid to make sure you are getting a true 12v into the starter solenoid?

Erik
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #8
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride
could be your ecu?
If his ECU was crapping out he wouldnt be able to push start it at times either. So doesnt sound ECU. Sounds VERY much like a bad connection somewhere, and once the car gets all good and hot, it ups the resistance in his wires, which makes shibby connections worse.
Old 03-31-2006   #9
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFebo
If his ECU was crapping out he wouldnt be able to push start it at times either. So doesnt sound ECU. Sounds VERY much like a bad connection somewhere, and once the car gets all good and hot, it ups the resistance in his wires, which makes shibby connections worse.
When an ECU start getting flakey it will show the same symptom as a dead battery.

Just for kicks disconnect your clutch safety switch. I might not be actuating properly. I for got if it was the upper switch or lower switch but the vfaq will help you out.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #10
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride
When an ECU start getting flakey it will show the same symptom as a dead battery.
I know that all too well... my 1.8 ECU fried, but like I said, he wouldnt even be able to push start it. PLUS your starter isnt looped thru your ECU. His Starter should still free ball even if his ECU is DOA.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Old 04-01-2006   #11
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Yes, the starter has no connection to the ECU as far as I know. They are on completely different circuits. I know this because when I first got my car together the reason it wouldn't start was because the ECU wasn't in the car.

I have tried to start it with and without the clutch safety switch on. Neither of them seem to have an impact on it.

The battery is charged to 12.7 volts, altenator brings it to 14.1-14.7 so that is fine.

I get battery voltage at the starter solenoid wire.

What I am thinking it is is a bad connection between the starter and the battery on the positive side of the system. Somehow I am not getting any amperage, although I am reading voltage. I will have to check into it tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2006   #12
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Ghetto rig that stuff. Run a new positive wire and route it to a switch in your car... its how my cars done haha.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward