Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 01-17-2011   #21
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Drives: WW IX MR
Re: Carbone Lorraine RC5+ - Pictures & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 1G Drummer View Post
I understand your theory on the pads scrubbing off the old pad transfer, but where do you think that old pad material goes? The answer is into the new pad, most likely causing the shudder you're experiencing. Like you said, your new pads are porous (most pads are, yours are just more porous than most) and all you're really accomplishing is collecting the old pad material into your new pad. It doesn't just magically disappear during the scrubbing process.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't know if the pads will absorb the old material or simply grind it off. These are sintered pads, not organic. The theory also is not mine, I'm guessing we can approach the many race pad manufacturer's regarding it. If I had to hypothesize my understanding of the theory, I'd say the sintered pad provides much more friction that any organic pad could at these low temperatures, their abrasive nature grinds the rotor clean. Both rotor and pad produce dust and I'm sure that's where a lot of the material goes. The bed in procedure will definitely lay a good layer of the new material on the rotor. Hopefully this gets rid of the shudder/judder.

The judder/shudder/etc that I felt was not a recent occurrence and was not a result of my new pads being installed and absorbing old material. It was present for over a year and was the cause of my POS GiroDisc Magic Pads not being up to the task, littering my rotors with deposits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
If the screeching doesn't go away after the bedding process, I would consider getting the rotors turned (or swapping in a set of new rotors). Hughes had this problem on his IX w/ a different brand of pads and we tried a ton of different things to rid it. In the end, a set of turned rotors cured the squeaks!
I agree, and that's what I plan on doing if bedding them doesn't help the judder.

Remember, the judder I'm experiencing was already present before I switched pads. It was not caused by the pads.

-Jalal
Old 01-17-2011   #22
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

According to the theory you are currently employing, bedding in the pads probably won't help, because you will immediately grind it off driving race pads in the cold. Race pads can be very abrasive in the cold and are meant to be used very hot. I'm guessing your squeaks won't go away, and the same concept behind the sintered pad scrubbing off pad transfer will cause your rotors to quickly get chewed up.

They may do the trick, but I think for daily driving a street pad is still better, because that is what they are designed for. Hang onto these for track days. I think the articles you linked are directed towards people using pads for the track, and not all the time on the street.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #23
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Drives: WW IX MR

So I bedded my brakes last night doing about 8 stops from anywhere between 80-100mph. The bitch still shudders as many said it would, and as I hoped it wouldn't. However, I knew the pads weren't a 100% fix. All along I wanted to try and see if they would work and was always going to buy new fresh rotors if they didn't. So that's my plan. I'll be shopping around for a front set of Centric Premium blanks.

With day light today, I was able to see that the rotors are now half light gray-ish/blue and half silver. After giving Jeff Ritter @ Essex Parts a call, he told me that it's normal to see that and it means that the pads need another bedding session. He mentioned that this will happen when you start putting heat into the pads and that over time the entire rotor face will turn this gray-ish/blue color. However, he also mentioned, as s1ngletracker mentioned above, that after getting that layer of pad on the rotor when racing, when you go back to driving normally on the street, the cold abrasive nature of the pads will scrub them clean again and they will look silver as they originally were.

With many people using these rotors on the track a good amount without much rotor wear noted at all, I feel these will be safe to use on a daily driven car. When I put the new rotors in, Justin and I will be applying Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant on the back plates and see if that helps the squeal. They have definitely been quieter today. We'll see how that goes as time progresses. I'll most likely be bleeding the brakes as well when the new rotors go in and will be using some ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Jalal