MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-22-2010   #161
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo
Re: Engine Oil

For the oils without detergents, how often are you supposed to change them?
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #162
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Drives: IS300
Send a message via AIM to Febo

I always wondered how long everyone here goes on their oil changes.

Now I know, and I must say, my car is babied by comparison to some of your guys' cars.

I change my IS300 every 4-5k with Valvoline SynPower and a Mobil 1 filter.

and my old GSX was changed every.... I dunno, 2 months of so since I was always tearing it back apart. The lowest that would get changed with was Valvoline Durablend. Eventually changed it to Mobil 1 5-40/0-40. Totally got rid of my lifter tick. Best thing I ever did to that engine.

I stopped using any form of conventional back in my GSX days. I don't believe in conventional anymore. The science is there. Synthetics for life. But I don't believe in running synthetics past 5k. Mostly due to my mistrust for filters. I've seen too many of the new internal filters come through my shop that have failed and were letting dirty oil flow through without filtration.

Also, I seen something around here about color. Black... like pure black... is not good. Your filter should keep it from being pure black. Dark yes, Black, no. If your oil is pure freaking black change it or change your filter.

I know, I know. Modern detergent oils turn dark because they are carrying the sludge and debris from operation.... But it still shouldn't be BLACK black. Chances are your filter failed awhile back at that point.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Febo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #163
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
For the oils without detergents, how often are you supposed to change them?
3k miles. Thats were the old wives tale came from was those oils.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Old 12-22-2010   #164
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febo View Post
3k miles. Thats were the old wives tale came from was those oils.
Ahh okay Thanks. Is there really any advantage to using non-detergent oil? it seems like the stuff with it is healthier for the engine, and lasts longer.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #165
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Castrol syntec, and audi recommends 10k oil change intervals. I got usually about 6 since the cars modified.

Non Synthetic oil, id go 4k easy.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #166
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Hmm..read this whole thread and it seems people are using Amsoil and M1 either the 10w30 or the 10w40. Good read by the way. I have a few questions though;

(1) Does it matter which oil (amsoil, m1, pennzoil, valvoline...all synthetic of coarse) I use for the mods I have and will it effect performance?
(2) I was told not to really change from (x brand) to (x brand) because of the different "ingrediants" they use for each oil...is this true? Is that why when a few of us change to different oils, there's suddenly an issue?

In my personal experience, I've been using M1 10w30 since I got the car. I've literally changed the oil RIGHT under the 3000 mile mark every time with the NAPA gold oil filters. My head currently has a leaky valve, so I'm guessing that is why the car loves to eat 1-1.5 quarts every 1500 miles. Haven't had any issues with the engine though. Head still looks pretty spotless. I will post pictures of the head soon once I get to work.
Old 12-22-2010   #167
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
(1) Does it matter which oil (amsoil, m1, pennzoil, valvoline...all synthetic of coarse) I use for the mods I have and will it effect performance?
No idea what your mods are so can't answer that.

Quote:
(2) I was told not to really change from (x brand) to (x brand) because of the different "ingrediants" they use for each oil...is this true? Is that why when a few of us change to different oils, there's suddenly an issue?
No idea what sudden issues you are referring to as I've never experienced these sudden issues you speak of, and i use different oil brands regularly (I buy what ever is on sale). So again can't answer that.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #168
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
No idea what your mods are so can't answer that.

No idea what sudden issues you are referring to as I've never experienced these sudden issues you speak of, and i use different oil brands regularly (I buy what ever is on sale). So again can't answer that.
lol..early morning ftl.

as for my mods; e316g, 550s, 190 pump, 2g mani, fmic, 3" exhaust system, ported o2/2g mani, dsmlink v2(untuned still! ). The car has been doing fine for the past 3 years so I'm pretty satisfied with m1 10w30. Haven't driven the car since winter came though.

As for the issues for your main car and not a DD, I was reading other posts on here saying that when they switched oils, one of the members here got a spun bearing, Goodhart mentioned one of the Supra guys (mk3) getting the same thing. I haven't gotten any issues because I haven't switched brands of oil just because of the different "ingrediants" x-brand has compared to the other x-brand. As for the DD, I too buy what ever is on sale
Old 12-22-2010   #169
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

1. No. In the real world any major brand synthetic (or conventional) oil is going to perform perfectly fine within reasonable oil change intervals. I use Mobil 1 because it's factory-fill on Evos and cheap at Walmart.
2. Personal preference; I believe in picking something and sticking with it, but Brandon is the exact opposite.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #170
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
2. Personal preference; I believe in picking something and sticking with it, but Brandon is a cheap ass.
Fixed that for ya
Old 12-22-2010   #171
A//// Guy

Ive heard Shane say numerous times that Mobile one is too thin and ruins bearings. For normal cars that are more reserved im sure its fine, but highly modified cars have issues?
Old 12-22-2010   #172
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Ive heard Shane say numerous times that Mobile one is too thin and ruins bearings. For normal cars that are more reserved im sure its fine, but highly modified cars have issues?
I don't know that it's too thin so much as people making north of 400whp are not using thicker oil. More power requires more protection any way you look at it.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #173
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
I don't buy his thinking on that. Plenty of high-power track Subarus down here run Mobil 1 5W-30. Subarus do have oil over-heating issues though which is going to be magnified while sitting stationary on the dyno; that will wreck a bearing real quick under high-load no matter what brand of oil you're running.
Old 12-22-2010   #174
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

I've seen a lot of subaru's with spun bearings on Shane's dyno that have used mobil 1.

I've always used Mobil 1 10w30 in my dsm, however I think I'm going to change to something new this year. If I blow up, I'll let you guys know. haha
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #175
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Ahh okay Thanks. Is there really any advantage to using non-detergent oil? it seems like the stuff with it is healthier for the engine, and lasts longer.
There is a reason they switched to detergent oils. That reason is because non-detergent oils don't clean the sludge out of your engine. Sludge = bad, we all know this. For a modern engine I would recommend sticking with detergent oils.

Quote:
This doesn't really matter. Additives are all relatively the same. Obviously some are higher quality, or are a lot more robust then others. But additives are only making up 20% of your oils composition. It's the other 80% you need to worry about, such as paraffin levels, quality of the refining, etc. Penzoil for instance is IMO the worst oil out there, especially at the conventional level. Their paraffin content is too high and leads to massive sludge.

Quote:
I'm in agreeance with matt on this one peter. I'd say its more the fault of not going thick enough, like uping to a 5w40 or 10w40. Altho FP did show that just by switching to Mobil 1 they managed to scorch a thrust bearing.

Old 12-22-2010   #176
A//// Guy

Im just stating what Ive heard, and wanted Shane to chime in with his thoughts. I would agree oil weight def matters.

Ill stick with castrol though, to each their own.
Old 12-22-2010   #177
Halon
Pewp Champion

Shane isn't the first person to say that either. I've heard that same comment quite a bit, and with all the failures I've seen with people running it, I will personally never run it. But to each their own
Old 12-22-2010   #178
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febo View Post
Altho FP did show that just by switching to Mobil 1 they managed to scorch a thrust bearing.
Odd how it's only FP turbos failing while all the OEM bearing turbos are holding up just fine without fancy oil feed lines and expensive oils

If you compare the wear protection specs of Mobil 1 5W-30 vs. Amsoil's you'll notice they are almost identical. The reason you see more Mobil 1 engines blowing up is because more people run it, simple statistics.

Last edited by Kracka; 12-22-2010 at 11:03 AM..
Old 12-22-2010   #179
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
If you compare the wear protection specs of Mobil 1 5W-30 vs. Amsoil's you'll notice they are almost identical. The reason you see more Mobil 1 engines blowing up is because more people run it, simple statistics.
If we are comparing wear protection then Mobil 1 loses hard. Castrol Syntec has 8 times advertised wear protection, while my boys at Valvoline market 4 times the protection (supposedly upwards of 8, but they chose the lowest denominator for marketing purposes, dont wanna get sued now)

Back in the day M1 was pretty much king shit, now-a-days there are far better alternatives. M1 just has the name going for them. Makes the dumb majority of car buyers feel special.

Old 12-22-2010   #180
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

LOL @ everyone claiming they have billion times more wear protection. Marketing hype at it's finest. The 3/4 ball wear tests mean nothing, it's a test that was designed for testing gear oil, not engine oil.

(sorry in advance for the goofy formatting, I bolded M1 numbers to make it a bit easier to read)

Mobil 1 10W-30 Amsoil XL 10W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC: 10.7 10.5
Viscosity, @ 40ºC: 65.3 63.6
Viscosity Index: 154 155
HTHS Viscosity: 3.26 3.2
Pour Point, ºC: -39 -40
Flash Point, ºC: 230 232

When you compare these actual technical specs (i.e. not laboratory tests paid for by Amsoil) you can see how nearly identical these oils are.