MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 01-19-2010   #81
2zzgtte
The Russian Stub

Drives: 2001 Celica, 2005 Evo
Re: My Evo

Oh

I got really excited because we almost have the same setup...
2zzgtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #82
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-revzr View Post
So what are you going to do then?
Haven't decided. Options ranging from returning the car to stock(ish) and selling it to building the head.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #83
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Idk why but I don't think I see u selling it...

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #84
scheides
flips McGee

Dude, this is great news! First off, you have a CLEAR answer as to why the car is down on power. Second off, you can get bigger cams, since the ones you have in there are kinda lackluster (on accident of course), and thirdly, going through the head will not only get you your power back, but do a basic set of springs at the same time (GSC's are ~$200 and plenty awesome) and you'll be able to rev to the moon while doing driving events.

I had MAP do my head for me and I'm SO happy with it. Prices are extremely rough, but valvejob and stage3 port was only $800 using the stock valves and fresh seals all-around. I saw a pretty solid 10-15whp and 15-20wtq with this and having a fresh head the car feels so so so solid, I will gladly rev it to 8000 for years to come. Doing just the valve job or just the porting cuts the price down a little, but in the end I say if you're going to do the job, do it right.

I say use this as a stepping stone towards having a nice reliable and powerful car to keep in the stable, doing the swap is really not that bad...I will be glad to help.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #85
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Great news? lol hmm, not my idea of great news.

Sell it and buy a SRT8. haha jk dont do that.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #86
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

If I were you I'd be happy the car was/is this good after all the events and hard driving you do on it. Take the off-season and pull the head and refresh it if you're really worried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #87
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Haven't decided. Options ranging from returning the car to stock(ish) and selling it to building the head.
You should troll the classifieds of dsmtuners and the like for heads. Every time i have bent valves etc, i have always found a head for around 200-250. Granted this is a 2g DSM head but hey you may end up finding a good deal on a part out. Just a thought.
Dont sell the EVO Seems like an aweful big price to pay for a $800 fix. esp if the car runs but is down on power, if its not going to mess anything up further, drive it till you can save up the money to have it done right. Or get the tools and do it yourself. Plus you will regret it later when you decide to come back to EVOs or DSMs, then you will be sitting here going dammit i gotta start all over again? I get that feeling a lot nowadays. Knowing that if i wanted the power i had before, its going to take a lot of money and effort.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #88
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Sell it and buy a SRT8.
I read that and all I could think of was this smiley:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc View Post
If I were you I'd be happy the car was/is this good after all the events and hard driving you do on it. Take the off-season and pull the head and refresh it if you're really worried.
That's just it, how much do I really care? I don't know yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
You should troll the classifieds of dsmtuners and the like for heads. Every time i have bent valves etc, i have always found a head for around 200-250. Granted this is a 2g DSM head but hey you may end up finding a good deal on a part out. Just a thought.
Dont sell the EVO Seems like an aweful big price to pay for a $800 fix. esp if the car runs but is down on power, if its not going to mess anything up further, drive it till you can save up the money to have it done right. Or get the tools and do it yourself. Plus you will regret it later when you decide to come back to EVOs or DSMs, then you will be sitting here going dammit i gotta start all over again? I get that feeling a lot nowadays. Knowing that if i wanted the power i had before, its going to take a lot of money and effort.
Find me an Evo head for $250 and I'll give you another $250, because that will still be $100 than the cheapest stock head I've seen for sale.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 01-20-2010   #89
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Great news? lol hmm, not my idea of great news.
I mean that at this point, it is great news, he knows what the problem is that was discovered last fall. I spent months trying to figure out why my car was down 50+whp and THAT sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Dont sell the EVO Seems like an aweful big price to pay for a $800 fix. esp if the car runs but is down on power, if its not going to mess anything up further, drive it till you can save up the money to have it done right.
This is exactly what I did. I was pissed off I had to yank the head again (I had a HG issue a second time in 8 months), but in the end, I could drive the car, save up cash, and do it when I wanted to, when it worked for MAP, and when it worked for my helpers (Hughes and Thielen/bananas--thanks again for the help guys!).

MAP had the core head mostly done, Anna and I pulled the head off on a Friday night in about 1.5 hours, spent a few hours with thielen and hughes cleaning/running around/prepping, then hughes and I put the head back on monday evening...Matt, we can do the same for you and it'll be a sweaty but painless process! A few pizzas and some beer and we'll have it done!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #90
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

I'd be willing to help out too, if I'm free when you do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #91
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Double check your lug nuts after all the work is done, if Spaz helps out.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #92
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

^LOL

Glad you found the problem! no get her fixed up and back in fighting shape, I also will help out if I can!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #93
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Maybe you should of kept that 2g?

I say keep it man, you seem to love the car and the amazing handling it has, like scheides says you can do it, assuming you got the $$$ or just get it put back together cleanly, but its not like you can't drive the thing for a few more months as is.

Good luck in your decision. 1g?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #94
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Get a new ford taurus SHO. Twin turbo, awd, I think. Ballin'
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #95
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

I'd sell it to find a better Evo, you knobs.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2010   #96
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Get a slow DD that gets 90mpg, then buy a new evo. Then you can break it all you want and not worry about it.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #97
Ronnie S

All depends on what you plan to do with the head. I have a spare one here than you can use to send out to get built to ease your downtime.
If you're just getting it rebuilt back to stock, it really doesn't take that long.
Ronnie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #98
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie S View Post
All depends on what you plan to do with the head. I have a spare one here than you can use to send out to get built to ease your downtime.
If you're just getting it rebuilt back to stock, it really doesn't take that long.
It'll get nice bits put into it if I go that route. Making a wish list first and then I'll decide.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2010   #99
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

The terrible Minnesota roads decided to kick my car's ass. Pretty sure one if not both front shocks are blown on the K-Sport coilovers. Good thing I didn't swap out the suspension in the fall like I thought of doing.

Quote:

Last edited by Matt D.; 02-08-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Old 02-08-2010   #100
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Evo = newer dsm, maybe?

SOrry to hear man.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote