MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 04-25-2007   #1
eclipse97gs-t

Strange cold starting problem!

Car is a 97 eclipse gst. The problem started after deck install, possibly unrelated and just a coincidence. It all started when my deck went out, I put a new one in and had power and sound so I put the dash back together then I tested it and no sound but deck had power. After 2 days I couldn’t figure out what was wrong so I brought it to a car audio shop they said all they did was run a remote wire from the deck to the amp. When I came to pick the car up after I got off work I cranked the car and it stumbled, shook, got up to about 500rpms and died. Car normally takes a few seconds to start up then idles at 1500rpms when cold, say 60 degrees as it was at this time, the goes down to 1000rpms. I tried again did the same thing lasted a little longer this time but still didn’t get above 500rpms. On the 3rd try is idled by itself but still was only at 500rpms, shook like crazy and boost gauge was bouncing all over the place in vacuum between 5 and 0. If I gave it gas it would rev up but car still shook and boost was still all over the place. Eventually after the car warmed up it smoothed out and acted completely normal so I drove it home. The next morning the car did the exact same thing and once it got up to operation temp it was fine. On the third day I was checking some stuff had the battery disconnected then I tried starting it again cold, around 60 degrees, and it actually started normal! Started normal the 4th morning too. On the 5th day it was all messed up again I wasn’t expecting that. Then today the 6th day it was messed up the first time I started it, went to work, got off work, coolant temp was again around 60 degrees, I pulled the plugs before starting and they looked perfect. Tried starting the car and it started normal! The car always has started like normal in the past 6 days once the engine has been warmed up. Throttle position sensor and coolant temp sensor are functioning normally. Me nor anyone I have asked thus far can figure out what’s wrong with it. The car has AEM EMS for engine management. The tune has not been changed or lost, I even sent the cal file the car ran on all summer last year and tried starting it on that tune on the second morning and it changed nothing. When the car is having the problem it smells like fuel. I have fuel pressure, injectors only a couple years old as well as the fuel pump, and new plugs. Does anyone that has actually read this whole post have any idea what it could be? The car has no MAF, it has a MAP sensor in intake manifold, I’m not sure what happens when those start to go out. Here’s a list of relevant mods. Thanks a lot

Engine
6 bolt block with crower rods and JE pistons
1mm oversize valves with dual springs
ARP head and rod bolts

20g turbo
Stainless turbo feed line
FIC 550cc injectors
AEM standalone EMS
MAP sensor
HKS 272 cams
AEM adjustable cam gears
AEM high flow fuel rail with adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 hi-flow fuel pump
Greddy large front mount intercooler
RRE upper and lower intercooler pipes
Greddy type S BOV
Custom 3” downpipe to full 3” exhaust with apexi n1 catback
3" hi-flow cat

Balance shafts removed
EGR blocked off
Extreme technologies XBC adjustable manual boost controller
eclipse97gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #2
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4
Re: Strange cold starting problem!

Check your coolant temp sensor, it could be giving an intermittant bad value to the ECU.
Old 04-27-2007   #3
eclipse97gs-t

Re: Strange cold starting problem!

coolant temp sensor is good
eclipse97gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote