Can't find the original thread but this was a sticky
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #22
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: What Kind Of Oil Do You Use/ Recommend

FWIW, I've always ran Rotella and Amsoil high zinc.

Last I heard Forced Performance won't even warranty a turbo ran on Mobil1. I've also had a few of the knowledgeable locals who deal with high hp engines all day every day tell me to stay away from Mobil1, and they have seen more cars run spin bearings on that oil than anything else. That means more to me than any random internet forum guy's opinion and is why I've never used it.

I think super bleeder already posted it, but it's worth reading.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #23
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Well, if you want to play that game, Cobb has seen more Subarus spin bearings on the track running Amsoil than they have Mobil 1. When it comes down to it, none of this matters because it's not scientific data and doesn't take into account the percentage of total population running said oil, the setup & tune of the car, other factors that could play into it, etc.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #24
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Look at the tests, Mobil 1 is usually near the top. One thing to think about is the longevity. Do you think amsoil or mobil has more research in to their additive packages? What oil comes stock in most of the super cars? I'll stick with Mobil 1 in my cars.
This; exactly my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
stick with regular change intervals, stick with recommended weights, and leave the science to the manufacturers because they know a million times more than I ever will.
Exactly my plan; pick a reputable brand and admit their team of engineers and scientists know far more than I'll ever even dream of learning when it comes to this stuff.

I'm also willing to bet than when running the proper viscosity oil with proper change intervals, if a failure occurs with one reputable oil the same would happen with any other reputable oil. At best, a different oil could delay the inevitable, at worst, it would have happened sooner. Realistically, it probably would have happened at the exact same time though.

I also think this whole internet craze of "OMG more zinc!" is ridiculous. Zinc is just one of many anti-wear additives available and some oil manufacturers are choosing to go with others for various reasons (including emissions). For example, both Castrol and Mobil are using titanium dioxide more heavily in some of their newer oil formulations. Personally, I could careless which they use since they all serve the same purpose.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-20-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 06-20-2012   #25
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Well, if you want to play that game, Cobb has seen more Subarus spin bearings on the track running Amsoil than they have Mobil 1. When it comes down to it, none of this matters because it's not scientific data and doesn't take into account the percentage of total population running said oil, the setup & tune of the car, other factors that could play into it, etc.
Honestly, I am guessing correct oil weight has more of an impact on whether or not you spin bearings.

Thousands have spun bearings on every kind of oil...I don't think there is anything wrong with Mobil1 at all. For a stock motor, mobil 1 worked awesome for me.

FWIW the AMSoil high zinc I am currently running is what I was running in my first built motor that spun the bearing...so if anything that helps your statement. However, I don't trust Cobb for shit due to recent events and I think they are tool's. And just because one shop (regardless of shop) says they have seen more failures on said oil, well like some have said, doesn't really mean much. However, both MAP and DB stock and recommend the AMSoil high zinc I use so I know its not a bad oil, tons use it on the national boards as well for built motors.

I know one thing, High zinc content and correct weight are what I care about as I know for fact that is good for a built motor. Also I ran Rotella on this motor and its still kicking great for breakin as a sidenote.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #26
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Scheides is going to have to break oil discussion off into it's own sub-forum then eventually delete it and ban it's discussion all together like politics
Old 06-20-2012   #27
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Back when i got my last GSX, the first oil change i did (wasnt sure how long the last one was), i tried Redline Oil. So expensip, but i guess it was good. Kinda like a microbrew of oil in the grand scheme of things.
So who runs Fram Filters here? Because based on some of the logic here, Mass production yields better results every time. (adds fuel to fire)
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #28
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Ams oil 10w 40 high zinc with wix filter

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #29
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

I run mobil 1 10w30 in the warmer months, 5w30 in the colder months. No other oil filters besides wix oil filters will touch my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #30
lucasoil4u

Drives: talon tsi evo 3 25psi

Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic. It doesnt get full of soot like other oils. Works great!