MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 06-22-2011   #121
badinblack

Drives: 96 talon, 2.4L & 3582r
Re: Sad News - One of our own has passed away.

I will pick up 2 stickers from you this weekend at bir. Cash is going to be easiest for me. Let me know if that is a problem
badinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #122
scheides
flips McGee

HOLY CRAP thank you everyone who donated so far. The Michael Lomker Memorial Fund is up to $1180. I will check for a total again in the morning before I head to the funeral and cut a check. Any donations after that point I will give to the family when I give them the money from sticker sales.

I have been getting a few paypal payments via the donation link for $5 or $10 since I posted the info about the stickers....remember if you want a sticker please send a separate payment saying so.

If its all right with everyone I'll be quoting some of the comments people have had in these various threads to give to the family; they are kind words and I will do my best to share them. If anyone has any specific words or messages they'd like me to share, please say so and I will do so (if anyone else that is coming to the funeral would like to help with this, please do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #123
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

^^ I'm sure you will say something like this regardless, but just let them know he was liked by all, and we will all miss him. Also, our prayers are with his family.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #124
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom

Money sent.

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #125
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

This forum never ceases to amaze me.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #126
scheides
flips McGee

Fund is up to $1451.60 this morning after some overnight donations (including mine) and I hadn't calculated in a few eChecks last time. I'll cover the tax and delivery on the flowers so we can give the fam an even $1350.

Here's the letter I'm giving to the family, from all of us, signed in the order donations were received (or maybe reverse order actually, sorry!) Anyways, everyone's name is there, lots of good quotes, its not perfect but I did the best I could.

http://www.scheides.com/misc/pics/Lo...eralQuotes.pdf
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 06-23-2011   #127
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Very well said Scheides. Also in the donations there are a couple duplicates.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 06-23-2011 at 09:50 AM..
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #128
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Very nice letter, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #129
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

Wow to the money raised and nice work on the letter! Thank you
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #130
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

letter is very good.
scheides when you get back today give me a call I will take a few stickers as well
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #131
DSM_421
Banned

Drives: down the middle of the fairway bitches!

Wow, this is bad news.

I haven't visited here in a few months to find this out,,, My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
DSM_421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #132
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

I forgot my mom's name is on my paypal account, lol.

Great letter Scheides. Thank you for all the work you put into this.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #133
scheides
flips McGee

The funeral was very emotional. Mike's family was very supportive of all of his hobbies and they had a rough idea he had some friends in the car community but I don't think they had any idea quite how many. After I asked if there was anything we could do to just name it, Mike's brother Mark looked me dead in the eye and said, 'I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to keep the car' and handing him a big pile of cash was a fantastic start I think. I wish I could have been there when he opened that envelope! As I presented it to him his father and other family were around, as well as at least 10 members of the local forums. I told them that this was a gift from ALL of Mike's friends on four forums and it was the sum of *70* donating individuals/shops. I told him that for every donation there was probably 3-10 more well wishes behind it from supporting friends and family members.

It was very emotional but both feelings of happyness and sadness came and went in several waves. There was some cool pics of Mike growing up, our flowers were there and beautiful, and again the entire family was just reeling at the scope of the support we brought. I printed off a few of the letters and gave them to other family members and planned to share them with others there, but they were gone before I could even hang onto one in case I needed it for reference!

I called FastSigns in Brooklyn Center (I've been using them for decals for years) this morning at 8:45 and again at 9:03am and thanked Lee profusely for helping us get the decals ready for this weekend. He said it was no problem and I carefully asked if he had any that were done that I could snag for this morning. He said he had about 10 done. While I got dressed my wife Anna bombed up there, paid for the decals and in that span of time he knocked out another 17, so I had 27 decals to bring with! I bought one myself and sold 5 while I was there and gave about 8 to his family. I hope I don't run out this weekend! We'll get more printed if need be.

I talked to Mark and they said they needed to just keep Mike's car parked for the weekend. They are doing some traveling and he said even though he trusts us endlessly, he is worried about legality if anything were to happen. So, it won't be at BIR, but they said they were thinking they could bring it to one of our upcoming events....I recommended the All Mitsubishi Cookout that Curt puts on every year here in MN...Shawn supported this with a beautiful (and true!) story about how Mike had in fact WON a first place trophy at this event last year with his car. Talking it over with others I think it is the perfect venue for a tribute to Mike.

Thanks again for all of your donations and support, I will be mailing out decals starting Monday, I am SLAMMED at work and am now way behind getting ready for this weekend at BIR. I have a decal on my car and like many others, I will be doing plenty of WOT this weekend with Michael Lomker cheering me on!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-23-2011   #134
Sparky2211

Drives: 2g DSM, 2008 Evo X

Thanks for the update! You have truly made this something special and we all know that Mike would greatly appreciate what you and everyone else has done with this tragic loss.
Old 06-23-2011   #135
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Couldn't have said it any better scheides. It was very emotional indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #136
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Good stuff Scheides. In these tough times for the family, every speck of support helps loved ones get through it.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #137
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

Good work Scheides! Its cool to see a community pull together to help someone they knew well or didn't know at all.
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #138
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

I talked to ron at rs and he has mikes oem hood that was bent. He is going to bring that up to bir and we can all sign it and then either present it to his family or find somewhere to mount it.
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #139
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Yes, this is all we can do as a car community and much more. I am all for the idea of having the original hood up at BIR for all to sign and give to the family if possible. But I can see the other side of it that if it was damaged who in there right mind would want to hang onto that.

Anyways I plan to be up at BIR I have some cash in hand and what ever is left after getting in and racing is going to the fund to help the family and loved ones in these hard times.

~John
Old 06-24-2011   #140
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I'll pick up a sticker up at BIR if you're going to have em up there.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote