MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-07-2003   #1
jpretz

Send a message via AIM to jpretz
Hey guys! Somehow my car got a lil :censored: up! I, personally, don't know whats wrong with it but Dane Peterson thinks its a lifter tick. I was wondering if yoyu could help me diagnose it. I know its hard without hearing it but here it goes. I was drving and my engine got real loud and i stoped at the light and you could hear it tick. It sounded like the fan was hitting something. Then it gets shakey when i accelerate a lot. It seems sluggish. @ idle it will drop the RPMs form like 1 down to 1/2 or less and stalled a coupple of times. So i don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering where to take it, and i was thinking Mike/ QPR if you are open. I would also like to see if i could get a quote on something. Once again... thanks in advance!

Jayme :headache: :fworld: :rant:
jpretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #2
Iceman

You hear a clicking noise? I would have to agree on the lifter ticking.. by what you have said. You could try some of that lifter cleaning stuff... for cheap resultes

Since i can't hear it its hard to say but you know the injectors click to right?
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
While sitting in your car you can hardly hear lifter tick, it's almost the same volume as the injectors. Since you metioned that it's sluggish, lower RPMs at idle and shakey during acceleration it sounds like you spun a bearing. Your description is almost exactly what a spun bearing really sounds like. The only way to find out is to drop the oil pain and take a peek.

Have you had any problems with oil leaks or low oil pressure ever?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt D.@Dec 7 2003, 03:06 AM
While sitting in your car you can hardly hear lifter tick, it's almost the same volume as the injectors. Since you metioned that it's sluggish, lower RPMs at idle and shakey during acceleration it sounds like you spun a bearing. Your description is almost exactly what a spun bearing really sounds like. The only way to find out is to drop the oil pain and take a peek.

Have you had any problems with oil leaks or low oil pressure ever?
matt is correct, thats exactly what happened to the car he owns, it got sluggesh, stalled, ran again, and seized less than 1 mile later, verdict spun rod bearing and scorched cylinder walls. We are open for business and would be happy to take a look at your car.
Give the office a call tommorrow after 11am.
Another option is a broken balance shaft belt, but that wouldn't usually make it stall really bad, and that usually happens after a high rev/miss shift, or due to mileage.
We can do some diagnostic work for you.
Old 12-07-2003   #5
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
It could also be a combination of a few things. Sometimes the tick can get loud enough to hear while sitting in the car. Mine has from time to time. It could be tick, along with a broken balance shaft belt, along with a BISS adjustment screw that's backed out a little.

I would agree though that it could be a spun bearing. But like you said, you would see a huge drop in oil pressure if that's the case.

I know one thing that made my car run like shit was when one of the plug wires would pop off of the coilpack. It had just enough spark to run but barely. It shook like hell under acceleration and it died at idle.

Just a few other things to check before hitting your head against the brick wall.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #6
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig
god what shitty luck we had last night huh jayme, I need a new clutch and well maybe its good for you, you need a new car, buy a new one. Screw that NT crap.
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #7
jpretz

Quote:
Originally posted by niterydr@Dec 7 2003, 03:13 AM
matt is correct, thats exactly what happened to the car he owns, it got sluggesh, stalled, ran again, and seized less than 1 mile later
seized?? Oh :censored: ! So it woudn't be safe to drive down to St. Paul 2 QPR! I don't know... anyone wanna buy?! :toast:

No history of low oil press. or leaking oil.
Where can i get lifter cleaning stuff?
It only stalled once but it will get that low that it seems like it is about to stall.
Old 12-07-2003   #8
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Lifter tick ussually doesnt just start ticking with a warm engine... Ussually only when cold and it wont make your car stall or really sluggish unless the knock sensor picks it up on a turbo car... I would think the NT cars dont have knock sensors... so I would assume its something serious.... or maybe simple like spark plug wires..?
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #9
jpretz

Well i'm gonna have to shut her down for a while till i can figure it out. My dad thinks its something with the valves. Shit! Life Sux! Anyone have a 1g AWD for sale? Around $3000.
Old 12-07-2003   #10
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Nice car.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #11
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by awd1dr@Dec 7 2003, 10:53 AM
I would agree though that it could be a spun bearing. But like you said, you would see a huge drop in oil pressure if that's the case.
Please explain. A spun bearing does not instantly open up a gaping hole for all of the oil to squirt out of.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003   #12
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
1) spun bearings can cause a severe drop in oil pressure, but it doesn't always happen.
2) Jpretz if you are worried about the car, we can do diagnostic work as well. Why not have it towed to us? Diagnostic work can be deferred inside of billing if we fix the car as well as find the problem.
Good luck.