MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-22-2010   #1
deadeye

Drives: 95 TSi AWD POS
Tuning a Ram

OK, I know it isn't a Mitsubishi but I know there are some tuning aces on here that might know what works well on these beasts. It is sort of related to the DSM because I will need it to tow my Talon. It seems like a safe bet that my Talon needs to be towed to and from the place it will break next.

What would the pros suggest for tuning a 04 Hemi Ram? I know there are all kinds of plug and play tuners and so far the most customizable seems to be the diablosport predator.

I have done a little research on the Ram forums and it sounds like people are able to sneak these things into the 14's done right. Not bad for such a boat.
Old 02-22-2010   #2
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack
Re: Tuning a Ram

my brother uses the diablo for his vette and says its ok but still leaves alot to be desired. on one of his rams he supercharged it and uses a fuel pressure tuning system from procharger. On his natuarally aspirated ram im not sure what he uses but ill ask.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #3
lucasoil4u

Drives: talon tsi evo 3 25psi

first i would get rid of the fuel injection and do a Carb. thats how i would do it ..
Old 02-22-2010   #4
deadeye

Ya lucasoil4u, cause that is the way of the future....going backwards into the stone age. The only thing i know what to do with a carbuerator is use it for a paperweight (spell check on my computer wont even acknowledge carbuerator as a valid word HAH!)... And your the guy playing robot unicorn attack right now!

Thanks twack. I don't honestly know much about tuning domestics. I thought that GM's ran HP tuners for the best results but I don't even know if thats right. The predator seems like the only one that I can find that allows something beyond a couple basic options.

Last edited by deadeye; 02-22-2010 at 11:14 PM..
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #5
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasoil4u View Post
first i would get rid of the fuel injection and do a Carb. thats how i would do it ..
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #6
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I'd first contact Shane and see if it's something he can make a custom tune for, I'm guessing he can, but I don't know. Diesels are the only things that really wake up from a plug-in tuner.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #7
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing

Screw the tune, swap the Viper V10 in there SRT style!

Or if you want something a little cheaper you can get something like this http://www.autoanything.com/performa...hypertech.aspx
Old 02-23-2010   #8
deadeye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSB_VuN5OKY
5.7 on the right.

I guess since its pretty much going to be a DD and a fishing/hunting vehicle I'm not too worried about it making crazy gains. Just a little bit extra to catch a ricer off gaurd would be cool.

The predator from what I can tell allows you to tune in a way similar to Link (probably not nearly as well), adjusting fuel, timing ect.The others don't appear to have that ability. So you could swap out the injectors for srt4 stuff. That would be kind of nice if a person was to S/C it or run a bottle. I will have to call around and see what DB and the others say to run.

What they get out of a diesel with a handheld tuner is kind of nuts IMO. I almost think the manufacturers should hold their heads in shame for allowing such power to go untapped. But I suppose giving any Joe blow that kind of power equals a major Fail somehow.
Old 02-23-2010   #9
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasoil4u View Post

You sir win my nomination for moron of the year 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #10
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The Predators usually have extremely limited tuning via the handheld. I am not totally sure on the Dodges, but on most cars there are only a few RPMs available and you can add or subtract a few degrees of timing and a few percent of fuel. We did an off the shelf Predator on an SRT8 Jeep and it really didn't do anything powerwise.
Old 02-23-2010   #11
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
The Predators usually have extremely limited tuning via the handheld. I am not totally sure on the Dodges, but on most cars there are only a few RPMs available and you can add or subtract a few degrees of timing and a few percent of fuel. We did an off the shelf Predator on an SRT8 Jeep and it really didn't do anything powerwise.
pretty much what my brother said
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #12
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

I use the Predator on my SRT4 and I like it. They are limited right out of the box, but if it's fairly stock, it's all you need. You can get custom tunes for it and flash them and Diablosport usually includes 1-2 tunes from themselves depending on the vehicle. MAP just got the Diablosport CMR tuning software at their facility so they can pretty much tune it just like it were DSMLink (injector rescales, 3-bar sensor rescales, etc.) and then if you need to, you can tune it a bit with the handheld at a later time (40% increase/decrease in fuel, timing adjustment +/- 10*, other little stuff, and you can tune this every 1k RPMs to redline and after.) Also includes pretty good logging software and a ton of values to log.
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #13
deadeye

Thanks for the input guys.

CMR was what I was thinking of. You load custom tunes into the predator and then use that to flash the puter in the truck.

I don't really expect any kind of crazy gains but its hard for me to have something and not make it a little better. It should help more with exhaust and intake opened up. Maybe some cams and porting would be appropriate too.
Old 02-24-2010   #14
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

CMR was what I was thinking of. You load custom tunes into the predator and then use that to flash the puter in the truck.

I don't really expect any kind of crazy gains but its hard for me to have something and not make it a little better. It should help more with exhaust and intake opened up. Maybe some cams and porting would be appropriate too.
That is the key, opening up the intake and the exhaust. You will see a lot more performance gains with your "custom tune" from opening up everything first before doing the tune.

When people want that "magic chip" that will make their car go faster!! the engine is still an airpump that still needs to breath. No chip is going to fix that.

My uncle has the V10 in his ford F350 and he thought the chip was going to "wake it up"
After my advice he bought the nice intake and had a custom exhaust made for it. Still had the chip and it improved on the power.

Like said above, diesels make pretty decent power on chip but often in the instructions or often times included in the kit are head bolts that you are suppose to replace when you install them. at least on the fords anyway...