MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-22-2005   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Confused :S

Ok so the new turbo i have is a 50 trim turbonetics turbo... im confused because there is no place for the coolent lines... so do i just connect the ones that were existing?
and secondly the exhaust manifold doesnt quite fit, the tial wastegate runs into the driver side radiator fan, so i took it off and it fits just fine. so do i just save weight and leave the fan off?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Confused :S

Yes, loop the coolant lines together, or use a bypass hose in their place. Get a turbo timer if you don't have one already since the turbo is not water cooled.

You can leave the fan off as long as your car does not overheat.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #3
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Great, Now i thought i would do a quick mock up to see how everything fits, and i goto put the turbo on the manifold and i got stuck on one of the stupid coolent line taps that goes into the block. I remember someone saying something about this a long time ago. but i dont know what the conclusion was... how am i supposed to hang this turbo if it wont fit?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 10-22-2005   #4
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Home Depot. Take out the fitting at the side of the block, go and get a pipe plug from Home Depot that matches in size and thread pitch, put it in the hole.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 10-22-2005   #5
tpunx99GSX

Then just crimp off the other line?
Im afraid that the pipe just above is going to hit the side of the turbo after i get this plug out. what would i do about that, or dont you think it will hit...
Old 10-22-2005   #6
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

You may have to dent the water pipe a little. Also, get a slim line fan to replace the stock one. You are going to need 2 fans out in Cali.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #7
tpunx99GSX

Its actually been quite chilly lately, and while im doing this im changing all the fluids, coolant, thermostat, full syn oil, filter etc.. so i should be able to wait on the fan until i have some spare money because i know those usually arent that cheap.
To dent the water pipe do i just use a hammer and give it a nice whack and try not to claw the radiator?
Old 10-22-2005   #8
tpunx99GSX

also when i finally get this all installed, what should i set my safc for a base?
The mods i will be running are...
Turbonetics 50 trim boosting at approx 10 psi until the new injectors come.
Stock sidemount until the fmic piping comes.
Rewired fuel pump.
Stock 450cc injectors
SAFC2
Elite MBC
HKS SSQV
Intake
Exhaust
Hard LICP going to the sidemount
Ported Exhaust Manifold
Tial 35mm WG, with a 7psi spring

Im going to keep it at low boost until the injectors and fmic get installed, the only reason im doing this is so that i can send out the t28, otherwise i would have waited.

I am under the impression that i should have the safc in the positives to compensate for the extra flow. With my t 28 being that i really hadnt had it tuned i had it set to -10 accross the entire scale.
Old 10-22-2005   #9
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

yes you would want to probably add fuel. It all depends on what the settings were with the T28 and what PSI you were at. Compare those flow numbers with the new 50 trim you have, and base your SAFC levels off of them.

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #10
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Get a tranny cooler too. It will need it to last.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005   #11
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

Keep the AFC at 0 and let the computer do its job. Basically all the AFC is doing is lying to the computer about how much air flow is entering the engine. Hense the name... Air Flow Converter. The ECUs fuel maps are already set for 450's, so by adding on the AFC you are just lowering the amount of air you can flow because the AFC is telling the ECU that you are flowing more air than you really are to give it more fuel making it a lot easier for your fuel maps to max out and for you to get fuel cut. By subtracting on the AFC you start to run lean. Probably not at what you are running but I wouldnt be pushy with much over 10psi on the 50 trim.

Get injectors ASAP! Also throw in a Datalogger to your "Things to get" list.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #12
tpunx99GSX

So the turbo is on and running. after many trips to home depot. LOL.
this turbo was a much bigger project then putting the t28 on.
So the first test run i took fucking sucked. I thought that if you kept the afc in the positives that meant it was going to put more fuel in, slaps head....
So it wouldnt pull past 3k rpms without starting to bog. but then all of the sudden about 4 blocks from my house the car takes a crap and is sputtering backfireing etc wont drive past 1k rpm... i pull over and am like oh fuck i just blew my motor... so i start it up again and limp it back home with the hazards on the whole way. put it in the garage and look over everything, look at the turbo and think to myself "that dont look right" The LICP piping blew off the turbo. LOL
So i put the piping back on and run upstairs to get some technical advice over AIM from S2Kracka, and he set me straight about the safc, so i go out for another test run and ease into it and had the safc set from 1k to 3k -5 from 3k on from -15 to -20 and this seems to be a good running spot until i get the injectors. Just need to turn the boost down more because once it gets spooled it starts clicking loudly, which from past expirences has told me that im running too much boost and not enough fuel.
I cant wait until everything is completely finished with the FMIC and Injectors and tune, from the butt meter she is gonna pull hard in the 3.5k rpm and up range.
Big thanks to everyone that helped me out over AIM the past couple days.
Old 10-24-2005   #13
EclipseGST

Why are you in the negative on the AFC??? -20% is about where you would be with 550cc injectors. You have to be running really lean considering the mods you have. If you still have the stock injectors, why mess with the AFC at all? Have you logged any of this? I'm curious to see what your timing curve is since -20% is way lean for 450cc injectors so your probably knocking a bit. The stock ECU can handle the 450's just fine and you will actually see more of a gain leaving the AFC at 0 instead of -20% without using a logger of some sort for fine tuning. My suggestion is get a logger and find out what it is really doing instead of just guessing. I know your not running a lot of boost but the engine needs all the fuel it can get and by going into the negatives on the AFC you are just taking fuel away.

I dont know if (Tpunx) you're understanding what I am trying to get at so will someone else please comment on this. Either that or someone with good experiance tell me to STFU and explain where I am wrong. I just dont want to have him mess up a motor or head gasket even. Which can both be blamed on a bad tune job.
Old 10-24-2005   #14
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

He had to adjust this AFC that way just to get the car to run and be able to drive semi-normally. He will NOT be going WOT at all until the car is dyno-tuned so he should be alright for now since the ECU takes care of closed-loop driving and will adjust the fuel trims as needed (within reason of course).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #15
Onefast99gsx

What S2kracka said.... If you ever blow off the intercooler pipe again, Change everything on your AFC to a negative -50, or however low it goes. I had to do that on my old GST a couple of times to limp it home. Had to do it once on my GSX early this summer when a hose blew off. When the blow off, the computer is reading all kinds of air so it dumps more fuel at it. You'll probably want to weld a better bead on the end of your pipes to prevent it from happening again.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #16
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

It it needs -20% on the AFC to run at part throttle, then there is something wrong with the car. It should be fine at 0%, unless you change injector size.
Old 10-24-2005   #17
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
You'll probably want to weld a better bead on the end of your pipes to prevent it from happening again.
Make sure you have good quality clamps tighted down very heavily. Also, after you install your FMIC do a boost leak check b/c I can assure you there will be a leak somewhere, there almost always is
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #18
EclipseGST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
It it needs -20% on the AFC to run at part throttle, then there is something wrong with the car. It should be fine at 0%, unless you change injector size.
This is what I was talking about. He shouldnt have to adjust anything on the AFC to get his car to run right.
Old 10-24-2005   #19
tpunx99GSX

The car idles just fine at 0% but when the turbo starts spoolin up at around 3k rpms its seeing way too much air, so i would beed to be leaned out. which is where i was seeing the problem. So i leaned it out and it was able to get above 3k.
Old 10-24-2005   #20
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
The car idles just fine at 0% but when the turbo starts spoolin up at around 3k rpms its seeing way too much air, so i would beed to be leaned out. which is where i was seeing the problem. So i leaned it out and it was able to get above 3k.
I'm thinking you should be looking for a boost leak.

(#Y#)