MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-17-2009   #1
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
Turbo+copper flakes

As many of you know, last year my GVR4 2.3L blew up, I am not sure what did it, over revving, improper machining, or oil pump failure. (thankfully, I did not build this engine, this was back before I knew how to build engines)

Here is what I do know about the engine: full 5 qts of oil(drained out, did not have low oil), and a new aftermarket oil pump all installed by a reputable shop. All the bearings were trashed, it looked like it crankwalked and ruined the maincaps so that the block would be un-usable without getting the mains resized.

The final minutes of the car went as followed: From a full stop, 6-grand launch with a level 4 competition clutch. Rather then going forward, the clutch slipped and slipped and slipped, I know my rev limiter was set to ~8000rpm, so I may have excedded the rev limiter, I do not remember, it all happened so fast.

From what I understand, 2.3's dont like to rev.

Anyways, less then a minute later I was back at the shop, the car was squeaking...i thought it was a alternator or PS pump, but as it became louder and louder, I checked the dip stick, COPPER FLAKES.

so now i have a forged 2.0 in the car, everything has been cleaned out, oil pan, oil cooler, different oil pump....

As I was installing my SC-61 I gave it a spin with my finger....it moves, but not very well.

From looking at my oil feed line coming from the oil filter housing, it looks like the oil may have not been filtered....which I did not know, when the shop installed the turbo on the engine, they installed the oil feed and return kit, I did not know that it would have been a good idea to run a filter....I will always run a filter now.

So, If I have copper flakes in my turbo, what should I do? take the hot and cold housings off the turbo and send the center section in? should i just drive on it?

If i send the center section in, who should I send it to?

Should/can I just buy a new center section? if so, should I buy a different combo? same center sections, but different blades?

What do you think?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2009   #2
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack
Re: Turbo+copper flakes

If its the journal bearing then you can send it in to get rebuilt if its a ball bearing turbo you will need to just buy a new center section. Are you thinkning that the bearing are shot? If so i would not drive on it, the turbo should spin free if not it time to upgrade
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #3
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

You arent sposed to reuse oil coolers after metal goes through them as they have a million small crevices for flakes to hide in and then go through your motor at a later time.

Call diesel specialties and ask for a quote to take it apart, clean it, and reassemble.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #4
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

most likey you got metal in the shaft bearings and now they are grooved. you would have to take it apart and mic it out and see if it will balance...
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote