MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-04-2003   #21
1ViciousGSX
Admin

It's at Mitsu now. The bolt in question is not a bell housing bolt, but the starter bolt that is stripped out. The bell housing is missing a bolt that goes into the block also.

If this doesn't fix the miss, I'm gonna swap some other injectors into the car and see what happens.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003   #22
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
Sounds like your laptop controlled AFC is not doing what you want. I say the DSM link is the problem. Unless you changed nothing on the dsm link and this started up for no reason. And this ground you are talking about is for the starter, unless they plan on the ground for the ignition system to go threw that bolt.

~John
Old 11-07-2003   #23
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Grounds can be a funny thing. I used to get a bad O2 code in my CRX because the ground for that particular circuit was to a bracket on the tranny right next to the starter. When I swapped trannies I forgot to clean off the bracket on the used tranny I put in there where the ground goes. Grounding could definately be a small part of it.

I also have to go with one thing JET brought up, monitor fuel pressure at all boost levels. We are running into a problem with a Safari Van that wouldn't run under load. It ran fine when it idled (kinda stumbled a little but not bad) but when you hit the gas it killed. We dismantled the throttlebody and found the regulator spring broke into 3 pieces. I'm not saying yours is broken but maybe the pressure isn't high enough to keep up with what's needed at the higher boost levels. I could be off the mark here, but I didn't read anything in your mods about an adjustable FPR.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003   #24
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by awd1dr@Nov 7 2003, 11:44 PM
I also have to go with one thing JET brought up, monitor fuel pressure at all boost levels.  We are running into a problem with a Safari Van that wouldn't run under load.  It ran fine when it idled (kinda stumbled a little but not bad) but when you hit the gas it killed.  We dismantled the throttlebody and found the regulator spring broke into 3 pieces.  I'm not saying yours is broken but maybe the pressure isn't high enough to keep up with what's needed at the higher boost levels.  I could be off the mark here, but I didn't read anything in your mods about an adjustable FPR.
I'm starting to believe it is an injector. I got it back from Mitsu, but have not had a chance to run it under high boost yet, need to buy some more 116 oct. The reason I believe it is going to be an injector is because my car is getting hard to start, and when it does fire up, it misses on a cylinder for a little while until it clears up. Also have a problem where it will idle fine with my LTFTlo will be at a good -1.0 to +1.0 range and then it starts to cut up and the LTFTlo drops to -12.5 to try lean it down. Also keeps trying to stall at a stop. I have a VPE hi flow fuel rail and 1:1 AFPR with the fuel gauge mounted on oder and am waiting for it to come in. That way I make sure the fuel pressure is set correctly. Now as far as the fuel pump keeping up, I may have to get the Walbro 255lhp or higher flow pump. Not sure which way I'm gonna go with it. Maybe a Cosmo pump. I talked to Scott at VPE about the injectors and he is going to send me out another set to try.

DSMLink is working fine. The AFC is not controlled by my laptop. The AFC was only there originally to deal with the hacked maf at idle and low speeds. Since I installed DSMLink v2, the AFC is only being used for quick glance readings while driving, no adjustments are set for fuel on it. It shows rpm, throttle position, maf frequency and compensation (which reads 0 all the time) while driving.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 11-08-2003   #25
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
I was saying the dsm link is a AFC you run threw a laptop to make changes. The stock ecu has the final say, so I think its a big waist of time. It sounds like the problem came out of no where. So injectors it is.

~John
Old 11-08-2003   #26
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
I don't know about the DSMlink, but the AEM gets really pissed off if you try and use an AFC with it. When I first installed mine I thought it would be ok if I set everything to 0, but it wasn't. It took me a while to figure it out. Just another possibility.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003   #27
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Quote:
Originally posted by GalantVR41062@Nov 8 2003, 10:25 AM
I was saying the dsm link is a AFC you run threw a laptop to make changes. The stock ecu has the final say, so I think its a big waist of time. It sounds like the problem came out of no where. So injectors it is.

~John
The DSMLink does not work like an AFC at all. With an AFC you are fooling the ECU by modifying the airflow numbers. With the DSMLink the ECU sees the true airflow numbers and you are changing the fuel inrichment inside the ECU itself. It works closer to a standalone than to an AFC. You don't have the grids like you do in a standalone because that is not how the stock DSM ECUs even handle the fuel.

It is done a little differently in the DSM ECUs than in a standalone or even a lot of ECUs like Hondas where is has specific pressure vs rpm fuel maps. The way the ECU handles idle/part throttle is that it mathmatically calculates what a 14.7:1 airfuel ratio would be based on injector size and airflow from the MAS and spits out that much fuel. It uses the O2 sensor during those times to make adjustments for how far it is off. The amount it is adjusting it are the fuel trims you see in DSM dataloggers. For higher loads it uses fuel enrichment maps to add fuel on top of the calculated values and the O2 sensor is eventually ignored. There are 12 of these fuel enrichment maps in the ECUs. There are also 12 timing maps. A lot of the stuff in the 1G/2G/GVR4 ECUs are the same basic code, but with slightly different enrichment and timing maps. Under WOT with a turbo flowing anything even close to a decent amount of air your going to be working off of the 12th map.
Old 11-22-2003   #28
Jana
Mazda Bitch

Any update on this Mike?
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003   #29
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DSMChick@Nov 22 2003, 11:18 PM
Any update on this Mike?
I'm gonna swap out a set of new injectors I bought from ._guest_. and see what happens. If they don't fix it I will have a new set of injectors for sale. :uh:

(#Y#)
Old 12-02-2003   #30
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally posted by 1ViciousGSX+Nov 23 2003, 02:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ViciousGSX @ Nov 23 2003, 02:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DSMChick@Nov 22 2003, 11:18 PM
Any update on this Mike?
I'm gonna swap out a set of new injectors I bought from ._guest_. and see what happens. If they don't fix it I will have a new set of injectors for sale. :uh: [/b][/quote]
Any news/progress?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003   #31
1ViciousGSX
Admin

I just recieved the injectors from ._guest_., but have not put them in yet.

I recieved an email from DSMLink yesterday saying that the first 100 v2 chips had a bug in it (yeah, I was in the first 100) so they are sending me out another chip. So I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new chip first.

(#Y#)
Old 12-02-2003   #32
Jana
Mazda Bitch

Awesome, hopefully that will take care of the problem. Let us know when you get the new chip in.
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003   #33
rick shindley

Tournaments Won: 6

I would look at the fuel pressure under boost conditions. Excessive fuel pressure at the wrong time can cause misfire.

0.026 is a bit close for the plugs. If you run boost beyond 20 psi Iguess you may have to run the gap down like that, but 0.030 is a normal "street performance" DSM gap. You might want to try opening the plugs more and see if that changes things.

It may be that the engine isn't tuned just right, too, but I suspect excessive fuel pressure.

Rick