MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-05-2005   #1
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
What to do with GVR4#597

Ok, I bought the Galant over half a year ago, and when the tranny broke (from all the fun I was having with it) I tore it all apart to put in the new tranny and front mount.

Ever since then the car has run like crap, well most the time it has run like crap, once in a blue moon the car runs absolutely great, we refer to it as "The Problem"...It comes...it goes...it eats at my soul....behold "The Problem"

JET tried to fix it, and truthfully, the car was working fine when we drove it away (but as he may remember, it didnt want to start after we took it for a test drive after it warmed up) the car didnt start up after we got it back to my house

So I have about $4000 worth of GVR4 just sitting around doing nothing, I dont think anyone would be stupid to offer me any money for it (place offers here please).

I dont need to get into the complications of having a car that doesnt run, not being able to get to work to pay for insurance for the darn thing...etc...

So, I need a "Problem Solver" what can I do with my car? any suggestions?

I was thinking about maybe taking it to a good "DSM" place....maybe elite....which i have never been to....should I give em a call? or does anyone know any good dsm places to take it?

when it comes down to it, I can replace a tranny, but i cant make my darn dsm work....

-------------
Big16G, RC550s, safc1, fmic, warblo255, AFPR, 2GMAS
iceminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #2
CDeutsch

Re: What to do with GVR4#597

I'd be interested in buying it, but I'd have to take a look before making an offer.

Did you do the tranny?

Usually if something starts happening after you worked on a car it's not a coincidence and can be traced back to something you did. Are you sure all the wires that were disconnected were hooked back up, etc?

Good luck man!
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #3
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

You could sell it, or bring it here. $85/hour.
$80.75/hour for dsmstyle members.
Old 09-06-2005   #4
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Have you been trying to sell this car on the Trader off and on for quite sometime?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #5
dsm10sec
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dsm10sec

I'd be willing to trade (with some cash.) PM if interested. (20g w/ supporting mods)
dsm10sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #6
iceminion

CDeutsch - Yes, Speedholes and I swapped the tranny(the car comes with the stock tranny too, (if you buy the car) i suggest sending that one into shep to be rebuilt(it needs a new first gear)), but in my incomplete explination, The Problem started before the engine removal and tranny swap began (a fuel rail bolt was broken off in the head and we found another couple bolts broken off in the block, so we took the whole engine into a local shop to have the bolts professionally removed, and have the engine cleaned+checked for leaks) Everything was reinstalled and double-checked, still the car behaved the same

So, in summary, the problem started, then we completely removed the engine, put it back, and it still was randomly acting up.

niterydr - $80.75/hr seams fair, in all reality im willing to pay up to $500 to make the thing work again, so that would be almost 7 hours of your time, i WOULD HOPE you could figuire out just about anything in 7 hours. And one more thing, please excuse my n00b-ness, but where is "bring it here"? Elite? when can i give you guys a call and set up an apointment?

Jakey - No, I was hoping to get at least $3k for my setup, which is fair (the car comes with alot) but there is no way in hell that im gonna be able to sell the car for even half that if the car barely runs.....so, no, i have not been trying to sell it anywhere. I like the car, I want to get it to work, but with 2x jobs and 13 credits of college courses this semister, I just need a working car.

What sold me on the car when i bought it was how FAAAAAAAAST it was, seriously, this baby kicked back when it was "new" to me, and that was with smaller injectors and stock FMIC, now, properly tuned (and with a JETs custom exhaust, which i will reward my car with as soon as its proven worthy) this baby should knock the socks off just about anything (in my class).

PS, the guy who sold me the car claimed, that when launched properly, and with water sprayers on the IC(which i removed when upgrading ICs), the car ran a 12.7, the car also has a ACT2600 w/6 puck racing clutch, we broke an axle off in the 3 bolt recently (ovbiously, when the car was acting properly) so the car has a gently used 3 bolt out of a talon in it now....

The car currently has a 2.5 inch exhaust, which needs replacing, an egt, a 2g exhaust mani, winter tires on the stock rims, and summer tires on the bbs knockoff rims, for the stereo it has a kameleon (ipod adapter+charger unit installed, not the silly tape adapter) deck with kenwood speakers all around, joeP MBC, AF+Boost+EGT gauges

Any more questions, feel free to ask, and im sorry if I have not been clear on something, forgive my lack of being able to think+type at the same time
Old 09-06-2005   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceminion
JET tried to fix it, and truthfully, the car was working fine when we drove it away (but as he may remember, it didnt want to start after we took it for a test drive after it warmed up) the car didnt start up after we got it back to my house
Just to clarify, he didn't pay me to try and fix it. They brought it over and I fixed some IC piping and gave them some free help and told them what is probably wrong with it. Did the CAS ever get replaced and the timing reset?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #8
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

See signature. We do take appointments, but are fairly backed up with projects currently.

our forum

Here is elite's info.

Elite Autosport
612-521-0550
Minneapolis,

Last edited by niterydr; 09-06-2005 at 06:47 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #9
CDeutsch

$3,000 isn't out of the question. Is the list of mods in your sig accurate? What would you be including for 3K if you decided to sell it? Was the motor and/or tranny rebuilt? Or was it just a used tranny? And you just had the engine looked at?

As for "the problem", has it been there since you owned the car? Can you remember the first time you noticed it? And what work (if any) was done to it prior to that?
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #10
iceminion

JET - I'm sorry that, in my post, you were referred to as less than awesome, you are a HUGE help and you spent alot of time talking things out to me, and you didnt even charge for it, thanks alot for what help you did, Yes, we did get the CAS replaced (off a 92 es(same part number)) but it didnt change a thing and no, the timing was not reset, i completely forgot about that aspect, but i doubt that resetting it would change much (but i could be completely wrong)

Niterydr - Thanks for not getting pissed at me for not seeing the ovbious, ill be calling soon, depending on whats wrong or if someone just wants to buy it off me soon

CDeutsch - no, the motor wasnt rebuilt, i have not done a compresson test, but in comparason to my other dsms which have a healthy amount of blow-by the galant has almost zero. the engine is fine, no lifter tick, and it pulls really hard (when all 4 are firing)

yes, everything i have posted is accurate. FULL belt job dont 15kmiles ago, oil changes always dont on time/or early, the replacement tranny was one of those JDM galant trannys, we didnt use the transfer case that came with the tranny beacuse it looked really old, and the one currently on the car works fine.

I think I have already listed everything that i would be selling; set of snow tires/wheels, set of summer tires/wheels, you get the 4ws rear galant diff (with a chunk of axle stuck in it) and the stock tranny which grinds alot when going into first (of coruse outside the car)......Big16G, RC550s, 2gMas, 2gMani, Bar+Plate FMIC, SAFC1, 2.5" exhaust(NEEDS to be replaced....dont ask) Kalemelion Stereo.....windshield cracked, dented fender and hood and a couple others.....but all "fixable" if you know someone who wont rip you off at a dent/body shop

$3500 takes it all home now....you might be able to talk me down a 'bit' (offers welcome.....as in....make them)

Anyone feel free to call me and you can come take a look at it 763 843 4310
Old 09-06-2005   #11
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Remember, resetting the timing the first time is what made it start to run good. You can be off 20 degrees timing with the CAS. It is an electrical issue and shouldn't be all that hard to solve.

The car is in pretty decent shape. Some dents and dings, but I don't remember any rust. I don't think he mentioned it but it is dark green with some nice looking wheels on it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #12
iceminion

Thanks, and thanks for the compliments about the car, it is really nice, and for its age it does look really awesome.

I would be all over fixing this, but, at the risk of sounding like a whiner, the facts are as follows: I really dont have any free time anymore, I spend all my time working, schooling, doing homework and arugeing with my gf about how much time I dont spend with her anymore.....so unless someone is gonna buy this one off me now, im gonna bring it down to elite and see what magic they can work...

Thanks alot guys, niteryder - ill be calling in the next day or two, im not sure what would work out for you, but can i just drop the car off and let you guys get around to it whenever? or dont you want extra cars laying around at your shop?

Thanks alot - You guys rock