Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 06-05-2006   #1
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Front passenger CV boot

Car: 1996 Talon AWD

The front passenger lower control arm and ball joint went out on my car shortly after I purchased it nearly two years ago. After it had been towed to a local shop I found out it was a recall, but I still didn't want to tow it 35 miles to Des Moines (nearest dealership) since it was already at a local shop. So, I had the local shop do the passenger side, Chrysler reimbursed me, then had the Jeep dealership do the driver side for the recall.

Anyway, about 2 or 3 weeks after I had the local shop do the work, I was at home changing my oil or something and noticed a ton of grease on the inside of my wheel and all over the axle and everything up there. I also noticed it was a different looking CV boot than the one the Jeep dealership put on (little larger radius on the boot). After looking at the CV boot, I found it was sliced open and so all the CV crease spun out on everything. Very messy. I told them I thought it was this bolt that they put on that was too long or something, they redid everything for free.

However, I just noticed the same thing has happened again. I thought it was just a bunch of dirt on my rim, turns out it was CV grease. Now I'm wondering, could it be something else causing this? Are there different quality of parts you can buy? I assume the local shop bought something from O'Reilly and Jeep used OEM parts, but maybe not. Why would it keep splitting open like that? What would be a good thing to look at first?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
tim

Re: Front passenger CV boot

The boots you buy at Napa or wherever are just the same quality as long as you get a full boot and not a split boot. Did you look at it again? Is the boot split again or could one of the clamps have come loose?I would first look and see where it is leaking. After that look for anything that could have come in contact with the boot. A new replacement boot should last more than 2 years.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote