MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-10-2006   #1
tnm27
I'm the short one.

Need Help...Please..asap

Hey guys, well i am very new to dsm motors so i'm kinda stuck on things....anyways lets get to the point. i bought a 90 eclipse gsx awd. it's been sitting for about 3 weeks on jack stands. when i got it home, the dip stick was popped up and sprayed oil all over the motor, one of the cylinders was (far right when looking into engine)running with low compression, all the other ones are doing fine. also when i took the spark plug out of that valve, the plug had no gap in it and it was a very cheap autolite spark plug(hehe)...seems like there was alot of oil on that side that was leaking only. here is my question... I bought a new valve cover gasket, a new head gasket, new altenator, new belts, pretty much everything on that side because i read that your belts start to strech if oil gets on them, so i didn't want to take the chance of them snapping. my question is what do you think the real problem is? a friend of mine said to get piston rings also because of the low compression but i don't know if that is the real problem. please help!?! asap...thanks!!
tnm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #2
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian
Re: Need Help...Please..asap

Your friends right. There are a lot of topics about this sorta thing. My guess is the pistons. If your going to be rebuilding the head do it all at once and replace it all.
Old 06-10-2006   #3
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

what was the compression? the dipstick popped up when you first started it? get some NGK plugs. Your belts start to slip when you get oil on them. I've had oil on my belts before, and have cleaned them off by wiping them down. Hell, when a customer's car squeeks, I spray some jb80 or wd40 on the pullies and belt to see what and where the noise is coming from. Oil won't hurt them. cracks will. dried out belts will get cracks. You also don't need a new alternator if the above oil issue is what's wrong. The alternator won't control anything that pertains to your above-mentioned issue. is the valve cover gasket leaky? headgasket leaking? how's your coolant temps, and level in the resevoir tank? color? I would figure out what the issue is, before you start throwing parts at it. A new alternator and gaskets may give you piece of mind, but they may also not fix the issue. Figure out what it is first.

-A. Swift
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #4
tnm27
I'm the short one.

thanks guys, yeah...the dipstick would pop out about an inch and spray oil over the engine. only one side of the engine was leaking oil and it was were the low compression was coming from(from the side of the dipstick). the valve cover gasket was pretty much crap when i took it out and the so was the head gasket(lots of rips and tears on the side of the leaking oil). but i'm not to sure if that is the real problem. Another friend of mine has a 2g talon turbo. he has the same problem i do (leaking oil on the same side, etc. upset the dipstick problem) but he is running fine. he's had that for about a year now but he does daily driving and no racing.
Old 06-11-2006   #5
Shane55113
Now 20% less Racist

Send a message via AIM to Shane55113

is the GSX white?
Old 06-13-2006   #6
tnm27
I'm the short one.

it's a black one
Old 06-21-2006   #7
94AWDTSi

Couldn't it be too much oil? With all the oil pressure?
94AWDTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #8
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

fo rht edipstick issue, you might be able to get a new dipstick to fix teh issue or some people jus tcrimp it a little. Did you already replace the HG? I think it could possibly be the head also. Can you see where it leaks oil and are you even sure it is leaking besides the dipstick issue?

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #9
tnm27
I'm the short one.

well here is the update on this issue..the head gasket was probably blown as well as a very crappy valve cover gasket with alot of tear and stuff...but i took the pistons out yesterday and found that the one that was running low compression is very very messed up, it was cracked right down the middle and little parts of the pistons were breaking off. so i guess i'll be getting to new pistons but that is about the major problem. after all this the car should be running good....i hope...