MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 08-03-2006   #1
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus
Weird starting problem

I have a 91 AWD that, until the other day, had been running perfect. I mean I have done rigorous maintenance and kept an eye on the logs and was rewarded with a very good and fast car. Then for no apparent reason, the DSM gods decided to add some fun to my life. I drove my, as far as I could tell, perfect running car home one night, turned it off, then the next day it will not start.

The starter turns over just fine but the car will not fire up. I checked the fuses, none bad. Then I checked for spark, NO spark. I haven't checked if I am getting fuel yet but I don’t smell any after cranking it over for 10 seconds so I am thinking that fuel is a no go as well. My first thought was that the ECU had melted overnight as I slept (caps). So I ripped apart my console and yanked the ECU out and apart. The caps are fine. In fact, it looks as if the last owner replaced them.

I put everything back together and checked all visible wires and connections. Then I tried to get the diagnostic codes from the port using a multimeter -nothing. Frustrated, I tried the ignition again and for some reason the car started, proceeded to idle for about 15 seconds; I revved it a few times. Then the ECU went *click* and the car shut itself off. Every Mitsubishi I have owned, there is an audible click coming from the ECU about 3 seconds after the key is turned off. Hence, coupled with the fact I can sometimes get the car to sputter, I feel that the ECU is probably fine and there is an electrical short somewhere enroute to the ECU.

Can anybody shed some light on this before I rip my dash apart and go ape with a multimeter? Are there other components that might keep the car from getting fuel and spark?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks