MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-28-2006   #41
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Re: How to make a Quick 14B Car?

My next mod will be a FMIC. I'd really like some rims/tires but that can wait till the spring.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006   #42
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy

If your not picky, or anal, you can get a SQ FMIC, piping, and clamps bought and installed for under $50 if you look careful. I did a full SQ FMIC install for $25 including junkyard entry fee of $2.

Sure, it may not be the best choice in the world, but when you don't heatsoak anymore, and have colder intake temps... it's worth the $30-50 bucks.
Old 10-04-2006   #43
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Is the SQ FMIC even any better than a stock SMIC? The SQ FMICs are terrible, the stock DSMs SMICs were fairly good for what they were.
Old 10-04-2006   #44
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy

Ok, yes and no....

There is one style that has horrible flow, i'm not totaly here so i can't remember which is good, or bad. I got a 14 fin IC and i know with the SMIC i was heatsoaking on 75+ days and car drove like ass. After the FMIC install i got a nice 100+ day with no heatsoak and only a loss of 200 RPM spool up. Gears pull smother due to no timing pull, and due to a short route piping(Turbo straight to IC, then piped back up behind the headlight to the BOV) i'm getting no heatsoak, and cooler intake temps. Days i heatsoaked i checked the SMIC and it was VERY warm to the touch. One time i splashed water on it and it actually evaporated away faster then water splashed on the black body in 95* weather. Mind you, this was in the sun after being parked for 5 minutes to let the turbo cool down...

After the 90* streatch we had i managed to get the car out with the SQ FMIC on and after MANY 3rd gear and 4th gear pulls over 100 mph, along with several first and second pulls, neither got the FMIC warmer then the bumper.

I'm not saying a SQ is better then a $200-400 dollar larger FMIC, and i'd have to be on crack to say so. But, for $50 or less, you eliminate heatsoak and help lower AIT's. Again, not as good as a $400 IC, but when your on a budget build... you take what you can get.
Old 10-05-2006   #45
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I think I'll stick with the sidemount, and keep it at 10psi since the fucker is gonna creep like a bitch im sure. Still looking for a nice used kit, or just gonna wait and get a new Extreme psi Race kit. Just installed my shep tranny last night, only thing stopping me from driving is porting my cast exhaust parts, and figuring out what to do for an o2 housing (since super bleeder wont sell me the one he is currently driving on)
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote