MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-06-2007   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Starting rebuilt engine for the 1st time

Hi guys-

I hope to start my car up for the first time later this weekend. It's a fresh rebuild. I packed the oil pump full of vaseline and of course used assembly lube on all the bearings. Other than adding oil do I need to prime the engine somehow to get oil into all the journals and head?

My engine shop said they have some sort of system where they put a quart of oil or so in this container thing and hook it up to compressed air and tap into one of the plugs on the oil filter housing and it shoots oil into the motor. Do I need to goto that extreme. Don't really want to push all the assembly lube out prematurely.

btw- I redid the timing belt tension like 6x until I found exactly where I wanted the tension. Then of course each timing you have to rotate the motor over and let sit for 15min. So I'm sure the cyls are getting dry. I didn't get the engine in last night like planned. Would it be a dumb thing to add oil as normal, then physically rotate the motor upside down or close to it for a second in the engine stand?

Thanks.

Last edited by Onefast99gsx; 06-06-2007 at 09:11 AM..
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Starting rebuilt engine for the 1st time

You can prime the engine by spinning it over with the sparkplugs removed and fuel pump fuse pulled until you see oil pressure. Do it in 10-20 second intervals so you don't overheat your starter. Put the plugs and fuse back in and fire it up.

Then drive it like you stole it.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #3
Onefast99gsx

According this old statment of JET's I should have spun the oil pump also. I probably should borrow that thing at my engine builders shop that uses compressed air and oil and shoot it into the oil filter housing. Dam I don't want redo the timing belt.

---
yeah, spin the pump while it is out of the car, then do it again when it is in the car and you are ready to fire it up. Break-in is way overratted. Most of it happens in the first 20 miles if you had a good plateau bore hone done. Mine went on the dyno with 23 miles on it

I would recommend 200 miles though. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 06-06-2007   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Do like Vicious said, that is basically as good as spinning it with a drill out of the car. It definitely isn't worth a tear down to do it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #5
Onefast99gsx

Thank you JET. I was hoping one of you logged on soon and posted something so I could stop checking the site so much while at work

The only extra thing I was going to do was minutes prior to starting, add all the oil with the valve cover off. Dump it all over the cams and valve train and bolt the VC back on and then do what Vicious said to do above. The crank will already be rotating in oil when cranking over. Then just a matter of oil getting on the cyl walls.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2007   #6
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
You can prime the engine by spinning it over with the sparkplugs removed and fuel pump fuse pulled until you see oil pressure. Do it in 10-20 second intervals so you don't overheat your starter. Put the plugs and fuse back in and fire it up.

Then drive it like you stole it.
I have heard to do this also but I am curious why you would? How is it any different than just starting it? I realize you wont be firing this way but just idling after the first fire up shouldnt be much load on the bearings.

Not trying to disagree just trying to understand why.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #7
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Because by doing this you're not putting any vacuum or decent cylinder pressure on the rings or rotating assembly. It's probably overkill, but it's easy to do, so why not. I always spin my oil pump with a drill with the engine on the stand, but this does the same thing. I leave the valve cover off and spin the motor until oil shoots onto the cams.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #8
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

I've always spun the motor over without the fuel. I also have my pumps on a switch, so it helps Assembly lube pretty much takes care of the "wear and tear" on initial startup. It eventually disolves and the oil takes it's place. Still, priming a motor is cheap insurance on your investment, and it's soo easy to do, therefore, why not?

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote