Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 06-28-2007   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Wideband Comparison

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...tout/index.php

Interesting little article. Apparently it was sponsored by Innovative, so no wonder there's came out on top. I personally run the M300.

2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Wideband Comparison

WOW! Great info man!!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #3
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban

so I should probally richen up my car .75 afr since thats how far the zeitronix is and I'm tuned for 11.5
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

The NTK/NGK AFX can read up to a point off, but that is the point of calibrating the sensor.

If people only understood the true meaning behind this "documented" write-up, they would be laughing as hard as I am.
Old 06-29-2007   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Care to share? I put this up as I thought it may be good info. If you have something to add, please share instead of just leaving a completely open ended coment?
Old 06-29-2007   #6
ExTREME
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ExTREME Send a message via MSN to ExTREME Send a message via Yahoo to ExTREME

What about their new DB Gauge? I don't see that on the list?
ExTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #7
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Yeah, do share. I need to buy a wideband at some point int he near future and any useful info would be appreciated.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #8
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Josh, how is the NGK wideband? I haven't tried one yet.

I believe the accuracy for the PLX.
Old 06-30-2007   #9
Halon
Pewp Champion

I remember at the dyno day, I watched both widebands and my plx stayed pretty much right on with the shops one.
Old 06-30-2007   #10
1ViciousGSX
Admin

I have the AEM wideband controller & add-on gauge. I can verify that there is a little delay in the reading. It's easy to tell with no lift to shift, My front O2 sensor picks up the change by about .3-.5 sec before the wideband. Now my wideband is also farther down the exhaust stream, between the engine block and firewall, but at high rpm WOT exhaust velocities, it shouldn't be that much of a delay. We are only talking about the distance from the O2 housing to the other side of my flex section just past the oil pan. Good to know the reading I get is acurate though.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007   #11
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Josh, how is the NGK wideband? I haven't tried one yet.

I believe the accuracy for the PLX.
Good heater control, unlike some unmentionables that like to conduct studies.
Old 06-30-2007   #12
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Care to share? I put this up as I thought it may be good info. If you have something to add, please share instead of just leaving a completely open ended coment?
In a nutshell.
Innovative and NGK/NTK are direct competition.

A few wideband manufcatures have a piss-poor heater management circuit on their products (aka sensors die quickly unless you are extremely careful regarding placement and thermal heat sinks).
NTK (NGK) and Bosch, aka the 2 02 sensor manufactures had the EPA come down on them for the alarming amount of "VW" style sensors being produced/destroyed.
NTK got together with ECM* (Engine Control and Monitoring) to create a wideband for the enthusist. It is priced very similar to the other popular widebands on the market, and this move is helping to keep the EPA off the doorsteps of the major 02 sensor manufactures.

The NTK AFX is very similar to the ECM AFM1600, a very good lab grade wideband 02 controller.

There is alot more to this behind the scenes obviously, but my official recommondation is what we sell, NTK AFX wideband controllers (we have dropped the innovative line as of a few months ago).

*ECM manufcatures some of the most accurate and widely used OEM level lab-grade wideband sensors in the world, according to my sources.
Old 06-30-2007   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Why does the EPA care about using the VW sensors I wonder? When I was chosing my wideband, it was between the NGK and the PLX. I ended up going with the PLX since it used the VW sensor which is fairly cheap to buy now a days. And the NGK one used a sensor that was a little more money.

But ya, funny how Innovative sponsors the test, and they do best, and their direct competitor does the worst!
Old 06-30-2007   #14
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Why does the EPA care about using the VW sensors I wonder? When I was chosing my wideband, it was between the NGK and the PLX. I ended up going with the PLX since it used the VW sensor which is fairly cheap to buy now a days. And the NGK one used a sensor that was a little more money.

But ya, funny how Innovative sponsors the test, and they do best, and their direct competitor does the worst!
Well maybe it wasn't the EPA, I didn't take notes with the insider I was discussing with.
But the fact of the matter is there was a higher up agency of sorts that was concerned with the amount of failing 02 sensors (therefore showing a huge quality control issue for NTK and Bosch). Since the 02 manufactures were being cracked down on by this agency, they decided to do something about the people actually causing the delima (the wideband manufactures that do not know how to control a heater circuit on a linear o2 sensor).
Old 06-30-2007   #15
Halon
Pewp Champion

Interesting. I wonder if the NTK sensors are going to go down in price at all to be closer to the price of the VW ones. That was my main selling point in the end. But man apparently my wideband isn't very accurate according to that test. Just don't know how trust worthy that test is.
Old 06-30-2007   #16
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if the NTK sensors are going to go down in price at all to be closer to the price of the VW ones. That was my main selling point in the end. But man apparently my wideband isn't very accurate according to that test. Just don't know how trust worthy that test is.
Best bet is to compare it against something high buck/very accurate (like mine on the dyno) that way you can figure out "about how far off" it is .
Old 06-30-2007   #17
Halon
Pewp Champion

I know at the dyno day I was watching mine and yours, and they seemed real close. But I wasn't logging it or anything so it wasn't that accurate of a comparison. But watching my gauge and your screen, they seemed very close to each other. Next time I'd like to log it and see!
Old 07-01-2007   #18
scheides
flips McGee

My wideband on my 2G always read almost a full point lean compared to any dyno I put it on, it was almost scary! This was a PLX M250 or 300, I can't remember which.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote