MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-02-2008   #1
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Electrical starting and running problems

My car was doing find throughout the winter till this happened...

A couple of days ago my car was having weird starting problems and the symptom is that the starter was ticking

First thought the battery was dead but jumpstarted it and battery was fine. Didn't take any power like a worn down battery... plus seatbelts were moving at correct speeds and lights were bright so then I didn't think it was the battery.

Then replaced the starter but second starter that I put in did the same thing...

Played with some of the cables going to the battery, nothing (I should say now the tach was doing something weird at this point and it was bouncing to 4000rpm and back down again) and then walked away fustrated... came back one last time to try to start it and it turned over and started up like nothing had happened...

Drove it home (was in the MOA parking lot) and parked it. Turned the car off and tried to start it again and ticking came back and tach bouncing. I thought it could be the connections (weren't tight enough) and bought new (good) clamps to the battery posts. Still ticking, replaced the fuses, still ticking, moved some cables around and started normally again.

Shut it off because now I thought it wasn't reliable to drive anywhere.

So yesterday I tried to start the car and now it was starting, ran for 2 seconds and dies. Try to restart it, ran for 2 seconds... die, and so on.

So at this point I am scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on or even how to attemped fixing this problem.

What should I even start with?
I don't think is the battery, but will still go in and have it checked (it is a sealed battery that is relocated in the trunk)

Short to the starter? but why is it now starting running and shutting off

I can hear the fuel pump running (walbro) and so I don't think it is fuel pressure but will check the pressure getting to the engine later

ECU- I never had one go bad on me before and I don't think the starter is even part of the system. Could be related to running problem

Tach problem- this recently showed up so I am thinking this is part of the problem- 1990 ECU system and I can't remember how it gets it tach signal but I thought it got it a different way from the 91-94 1Gs.

So where do I start?
Old 03-02-2008   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Electrical starting and running problems

After you try to start the car, does the main relay click after about 5-10 seconds? It should, if not that is your problem. The first thing I would do is check the alternator fuse, that causes all kinds of electrical gremlins when it goes out.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #3
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

There could be an internal break in a wire too, though unlikely because wires for started and what not tend to be pretty beefy.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #4
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

This is just bugging me...

The car starts perfectly again. I think by fixing the clamps on the battery post fixed everything.

However now the car seems to have a fuel problem... seems like that anyway

I started the car up after having the battery on the charger and it ran just fine. Took the car to the local holiday and on the way home it stopped running on me and I was able to pull it into a local parking lot. Tried to start it back up... ran for a second and quit.

It feels like a fuel problem, like when a fuel pump goes out but I hear my fuel pump working in back, checked the fuel pressure regulator gauge at it is at 38 when shut off.

Waited for a while trying to think what to do. went under the hood to check some wires and went back in to start it and it started. Drove it home right away and let it sit in the driveway idling.

So after idling it starts doing something funny like almost a idle surge and then quits on me. Then turn the key, starts up and quits again.

So starting problem fixed but now trying to figure out whats this problem

Things I can think of what it is

MAF-T? not reading correctly or something else?
FPR- what are the signs when it goes bad?
Fuel pump- working properly but still getting good fuel pressure so not likely
ECU-?
Fuel Pump Relay- Where is it located in the car? do they go out and what are the symptoms?

Jet- I did listen for the tick and it does tick after a while when the car is shut of. I also checked the alt fuse and that looks fine.

Also just to add... no check engine light

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 03-03-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #5
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Fuel pump relay!
Found problem!!!

Replaced it and problem went away. Thought I should post what fixed it.

I promised the car if it ran for me I would buy it a new set of stereo speakers.