MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-10-2009   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Rod Knock?

Ok so im still trying to figure out this Rattle. Its more of a knock so ill call it that.
The car idles PERFECT. No obsurd sounds, no shaking, really no problems.
If i rev the car to just about 2.5k rpm it makes a knocking sound, i listen really closely and it sounds like its coming from cylinder 4.
If this was rod knock, would it be only happening at 2.5k and above? Or would it affect idle?
Is there any tests to check for rod knock? Can i take off the oil pan and be able to wiggle the piston or something? Im really freakin confused, and if this is in fact rod knock, im parting out the car. But it would really like to sell this as a whole and be done with it.
Just a few notes:
New timing belt, New revised lifters bled etc, new clutch, new head gasket.
Thanks in advance. Ill try and capture the sound on video and post it.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #2
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: Rod Knock?

It very well could be. Drain your oil and look for metal particles, it could be a few things, none are good.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #3
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Can you name a few of the things it could be, it would be very helpful. I just need some places to look? The oil is clean, i have replaced it 3 times in the past 2 months. Made sure it was clean. no metal flakes, nothing.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 01-10-2009   #4
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

I have delt with that same sound and also occured over a bit higher rpm then idle and both cases was a bad rod bearing. Take off the oil pan and look for shavings and you should be able to grab the nut on the lower portion of the rod and yank back and forth and it will more then likely have play.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #5
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95talonracer View Post
I have delt with that same sound and also occured over a bit higher rpm then idle and both cases was a bad rod bearing. Take off the oil pan and look for shavings and you should be able to grab the nut on the lower portion of the rod and yank back and forth and it will more then likely have play.
If this is the case, can i replace the bearings without pulling the block?
Old 01-11-2009   #6
GnArKiLl

sure can... but the rods will need to be checked to make sure they are in spec, witch you would have to pull the head off to do
GnArKiLl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #7
craig
wants to kick mark

Drives: Battery with wheels

it also depends if it has chewed on the crank
Old 01-11-2009   #8
tpunx99GSX

im gonna try and pull the oil pan tonight and pull the bearings, ill post pics.
Old 01-11-2009   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yeah, likely the crank won't be in good shape either. It sounds like you caught it pretty early though, so you might be in luck.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #10
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Yeah, likely the crank won't be in good shape either. It sounds like you caught it pretty early though, so you might be in luck.
Yeah ive been driving it really easy, no shifts over 3k. (and i actually mean that...) Plus i had been breaking in the clutch (just hit 300 miles) so hopefully all is well with the crank. Im at my wits end with this car.
After the new bearings, is there a break in period? also what do you guys suggest for the replacement bearings? And should i use some kind of lube on the bearings before putting them in or some kind of prep?
Old 01-11-2009   #11
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

I'm using ACL race bearings in my car. They weren't too expensive, and they now have about 25k of not so easy driving on them. You will wanna use assembly lube on them when you put them in, and make sure there is no scoring on your crank. As for a break in period, you'll wanna go pretty easy on the throttle and rpms for about 500 miles, then change the oil. Then change the oil again after 1000 miles, then after that you should be good to give it hell.
Old 01-11-2009   #12
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Bah, 100 miles is about all I do for break-in anymore. That 1000 mile stuff pertains to old Chevy motors.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #13
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I am with Steve, I did about 100 miles too, but I did do 3/4 throttle at low boost after 50 miles to make sure the rings were seated. I was only fairly nice to it for the first 20 miles. I was also very picky on my clearances during assembly.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #14
tpunx99GSX

Yup its verified. Rod bearings were the problem.
Crank and Rods look fine. The bearings still had a little copper (looking) on the crank side.
Im ordering new ones tomorrow.
On a funnier note, I found a 10mm socket in my oil pan. Not sure how it got in there.
Old 01-12-2009   #15
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Yup its verified. Rod bearings were the problem.
Crank and Rods look fine. The bearings still had a little copper (looking) on the crank side.
Im ordering new ones tomorrow.
On a funnier note, I found a 10mm socket in my oil pan. Not sure how it got in there.
Was there alot of shavings? If so you might want to clean everything out to prevent any further damage.
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #16
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
WTF? Have you ever take this motor apart before? Or was it the previous owner who did that?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #17
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
WTF? Have you ever take this motor apart before? Or was it the previous owner who did that?
Im thinking it was the previous owner. I havent taken the oil pan off before in this car. it was just chilling on the bottom of the pan. Its funny though because it scared the hell out of me when i was hearing it drag on the bottom of the pan i was thinking it was something much worse. LOL

There was some shavings on the bottom of the pan, ill make sure everything is cleaned up. and do an oil change.

On the crank, cyl 4 there was a very slight scoring on the crank. I dont think it justifies replacing or returning the crank. The other 3 looked just fine. On cylinder one the top part of the bearing was broke in half. YIKES. Good thing i didnt wait any longer. Surprizingly cyl 1 does not have any scoring whatsoever.

Anyone know the torque specs for the rod bolts? I couldnt find it in my manual.

Also i definatly suggest to everyone, if you ever have your oil pan off, replace the rod bearings. its very easy to do and could fix a disaster.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 01-12-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-12-2009   #18
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Free socket for you!
Sounds like you got pretty lucky. Are you going to pull the head and check everything out or just replace the bearings?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #19
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Free socket for you!
Sounds like you got pretty lucky. Are you going to pull the head and check everything out or just replace the bearings?
Im just going to replace the bearings, i dont think i need to check the head.
Old 01-12-2009   #20
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

You really should take everthing apart and get it all cleaned, some shavings could have went through the pick up and now are in the rest of your engine/turbo/oil cooler.
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote