MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-04-2009   #1
hippiekiller

Oil Cooler setups

Ok, I have picked up all the lines, oil cooler, '90 Oil Filter Housing, and fittings to do my oil cooler setup. It is my understanding that the oil that goes to the cooler is unfiltered. So with that said would it be that bad of an idea to put in an inline filter? Something like is used on the turbo feed line?http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku Like that? I know it isn't exactly cheap, that is not the problem. If it helps keep crap out of the cooler then I don't really care. If it is just going to clog right away then I don't want to do it. I know it isn't needed, but oil can never be too clean. Just looking to see what others would think of something like this.
hippiekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Oil filter setups

A filter like that isn't going to have the flow for the whole oil supply to the engine. The only time you shoud have to worry about it is if the engine or turbo eats a bearing. The stock cooler in the car is the same way, so I wouldn't worry about it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #3
hippiekiller

Hmm, not sure why I said oil filter setups in the title. Should be Oil Cooler. As I wasn't meaning to use that as my only oil filter. The Earls Filter Should flow enough, the lines are 8an as is it, but I see what you are saying Jet. I think more than anything it would clog up since the oil is unfiltered. But was just kind of curious.
Old 03-05-2009   #4
SnoEclipse

Drives: 07 Eclipse GT

You should be able to get some ideas here:

http://www.perma-cool.com/
Old 03-05-2009   #5
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Oil Cooler setups

Changed the name for ya.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #6
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

The 91-99 oil cooler setup: Some like it, some do not.
The 90 oil cooler setup: Pretty awesome, however I have found that for the same cost, you can run a 3rd party setup which is better, with a remote oil filter, allowing for larger filters, bigger less restrictive exhaust, and makes oil changes much easier.

The picture I have included is a FUEL FILTER setup, however I have used this for oil filter setups also, this will require taking an oil filter housing, cutting it in half, and welding on some aluminum AN fittings.

Food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (180.3 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-06-2009   #7
hippiekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Changed the name for ya.

Thanks Scheides!

Iceminion, interesting...Not really what I am getting after though.

I already have everything to do the '90 OFH so that is the plan. More than anything I was just wondering if it is feasible to put an addition filter in between the OFH and the oil cooler. Like the Earls in line filters, I did notice after posting this thread though that it says they are a pre-filter and filter to 140 microns.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...r-install.html

This is the setup I followed, except my oil cooler is twice as long as the one in the write up. And the only reason I changed that was because Summit sent me the wrong size AN fittings on my first one, I sent it back, they in turn sent it back to me saying it was the right fittings when they were not. The one with the fittings I needed was back ordered until April so I just went with a bigger cooler. Which that cooler I thought was too damn small anyway.

I probably will just leave it alone and not put an inline filter in there just because it does pose too much uncertainty, but it was just something I had been thinking about and figured I would see if anybody could sway me one way or the other.