MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-17-2010   #41
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi
Re: T-case bracing?

Wouldn't bracing the rear diff be more effective instead of the xfer case?
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #42
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
I know especially for the 3kgt guys it helps the casing from flexing, and keeps the gears in check. Enough driveline shock would actually put enough torsion on the gears to "spread" them apart, cracking the case, and blowing the tcase up..someone correct me if I'm wrong. The bracing i've seen/installed on those cars looks like that of a mini roll cage, lol. I was just concerned because I'm afraid mine will do the same. I wish I had a spare, but I don't.
We (3/S) run them (on the 5 speeds only) because we crack the aluminum housing. The gears for sure aren't the reason. If you don't have a brace and crack the case you can break some of the t-case mounting points off the trans and have the drive shaft fall on the ground. (only one person has done this that I know of, then braces became the thing to do shortly afterwards). The brace will keep things in place long enough for you to notice the leak and not destroy an trans+ t-case.

So after upgraded front housings were made some people stopped using braces. Then one of the highest power cars broke a mid housing, pushing the gear out to the back of the car. Then you run a brace with the front housing, or an upgraded mid housing as well.

However for a DSM, I haven't heard much in the way of housing failurs. Mostly the gears...
Old 02-18-2010   #43
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

I agree with Ryan, I think the T-case issue is actually the gears grenade and taking out the casing, versus on the 3s,it would split at a mounting hole/internal hole area where the metal is really thin. (9 out of 10 we saw cracked at this exact intersection of holes), and then leak fluid=mass carnage.

I would say look into what the big boys do to keep them in check, I doubt it is really a base. Maybe make sure the driveline is preloaded before you launch at 550+ft. lbs/torque +slicks, or specially made gears, etc.
Old 02-18-2010   #44
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I was going to use the zoobaz, even on the street.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #45
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I just thought of a great idea! Transfer case Insulation! To keep the transfer case all warm and cozy. I can have my fiance knit (fabricate)up something, Then i wont have to worry about the transfer case fluids freezing, ive heard of this happening before, it destroys everything! lol poke.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #46
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

Heh, I love how even when Swifty asks a legitimate question he gets 2 pages of trolling like were still in high school. I noticed I also have a alum headed transfer case, Is there any rhyme or reason to which cases have cast head pieces and which ones are alum?
Old 02-21-2010   #47
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

22 spline t-cases are aluminum (Galant VR4), and 23 spline cases are steel.